Geocaching in Canada

K-9 Cachers

Going to the Canadian Rockies in a few weeks. Specifically will be going to Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, and Calagry.

Can anyone tell me how I can get a pocket query for those areas? When I search for caches and put Canada as the Country, I am then able to select Alberta. However, there are almost 3500 caches listed and I don't know what is near the places I will be going.

Any advice?

Thanks

You can do a Pocket Query searching for the caches closest to a certain Lat/Longitude point you enter.

If you can find a cache near the area you know you will be, you can use that as your centerpoint and ask the PQ to return caches closest to that cache too.

Going to the Canadian Rockies in a few weeks. Specifically will be going to Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, and Calagry.

Can anyone tell me how I can get a pocket query for those areas? When I search for caches and put Canada as the Country, I am then able to select Alberta. However, there are almost 3500 caches listed and I don't know what is near the places I will be going.

Any advice?

Thanks

I would start by using the Geocaching.com Google Map to find the general area. Just go here and enter the City, Province you will be visiting in the search field at the top. Then, use the method TheManInStipes mentioned to create a pocket query centered on one of the caches in the area. On the PQ edit page, just select the From origin > waypoint name radio button and enter the 6/7 digit GCxxxx ID of the cache you would like to center the query on.

edit: fixed the link

Edited by DavidMac

Any advice?

Thanks

There is no geocaching in Canada, despite the existence of few thousand fake caches listed on geocaching.com which are claimed to be in Canada; those listings were placed by the powers that be merely to be politically correct, so that Canadians (the three, that is, who are literate) would not be offended if they noticed that Canada had no geocache listings. The sad reality is that Canada is an extremely primitive country -- a wild and dangerous and primeval land -- and all but about ten of its residents are cannibals as well as hooligans and neurasthenics. It is a terrible place to visit, and most visitors to Canada do not return alive. If you are REALLY tempted to visit Canada, I urge you to put Canada aside, and instead visit West Virginia -- it is also a Godless and lawless land, but at least most of the residents of West Virginia do not eat people.

:laughing:

B)

B):laughing::laughing::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

There is no geocaching in Canada, despite the existence of few thousand fake caches listed on geocaching.com which are claimed to be in Canada; those listings were placed by the powers that be merely to be politically correct, so that Canadians (the three, that is, who are literate) would not be offended if they noticed that Canada had no geocache listings. The sad reality is that Canada is an extremely primitive country -- a wild and dangerous and primeval land -- and all but about ten of its residents are cannibals as well as hooligans and neurasthenics. It is a terrible place to visit, and most visitors to Canada do not return alive. If you are REALLY tempted to visit Canada, I urge you to put Canada aside, and instead visit West Virginia -- it is also a Godless and lawless land, but at least most of the residents of West Virginia do not eat people.

You've obviously never been to Canada. Let me assure you, we are much worst than that. Our witch hunts usually involve flaming hockey sticks to melt the accused's igloo and afterward set the guilty on fire.

Any advice?

Thanks

Why don't you run a pocket query along a route? Try Calgary to Lake Louise? No point looking for caches between Lake Louise and Jasper, Parks Canada doesn't allow caches in the national parks. However, I believe there might be a few caches in Banff and Lake Louise that are grandfathered that you may like to check out. The staff at in Jasper NP cleaned out the park of caches, where as the staff at Banff NP didn't really bother. As for caching in Calgary, drop a line in these forums: http://forums.calgarycachers.net , but make sure you spell the name of the city properly, or the illiterates might get irate :rolleyes:

edit: correction for my illiteracy

Edited by shearzone

Thanks for the info

You've obviously never been to Canada. Let me assure you, we are much worst than that. Our witch hunts usually involve flaming hockey sticks to melt the accused's igloo and afterward set the guilty on fire.

Any advice?

Thanks

Why don't you run a pocket query along a route? Try Calgary to Lake Louise? No point looking for caches between Lake Louise and Jasper, Parks Canada doesn't allow caches in the national parks. However, I believe there might be a few caches in Banff and Lake Louise that are grandfathered that you may like to check out. The staff at in Jasper NP cleaned out the park of caches, where as the staff at Banff NP didn't really bother. As for caching in Calgary, drop a line in these forums: http://forums.calgarycachers.net , but make sure you spell the name of the city properly, or the illiterates might get irate :rolleyes:

edit: correction for my illiteracy

Just a heads up that caches are not allowed in national parks in Canada so you'll have slim pickings around Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. For Calgary area caches see this post.

:D:D:D:D:o:(

Nobody did that for me while I was there! I alway miss out on the fun stuff. :o And we had our hockey jerseys and everything. I could have blended into the mob. :(

Moving this to the Canadian Forums...