Getting Started -- first time

klsavp

I'm a total newbie/tyro. Going to set out on my first search next week. On the "Seek Geocache" page I don't know what D/T means. Also, there appear to be many, many caches listed that are not in the zip code I specified. How do I restrict the list to just the zip I want? -KLS

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

There is a thread at the top of the Forums that explains a lot. The 'D' pertains to the Difficulty of finding the cache, whether it is under an obvious pile of sticks, or very cleverly-cammoed.

The 'T' stands for Terrain. A '1' should be "Wheelchair Accessible." A '5' will be very difficult to get to and might even need special equipment (scuba gear, a boat, climbing gear, etc.)

Edited by Miragee

Welcome to the forums! As the previous poster said, the zip code you supply is only the certer point of the search. The goal is to show all caches around you, ordered by distance. AFIK, the site doesn't have a way to limit the display to a single zip code.

I'm also a newbie... haven't found my first cache yet (having a bit of a problem with thunderstorms) but i did find a benchmark in my area... i'm hoping the caches will get easier as i get used to what i am supposed to be looking for and the ways the caches are concealed... i did get really close once but had to abandon the effort as it was getting dark and i didn't want to be in unfamiliar woods alone in the dark....

Welcome to the Forums! :(

For your first caches, I would highly-recommend looking for caches that are Regular-sized "Traditional" caches with a Difficulty rating of less than '2'.

Remember, the GPSr will only get you close. Although sometimes, rarely, it will be at the 0.00 point on your GPSr, it is much more likely to be as much as 30' away. At the 30' point on the GPSr, just start scanning the area for a likely hiding spot. Also, approach GZ from different directions if you don't find the hiding spot right away.

And, remember, the cache will always be in the last place you look . . .

Have fun! :o

What is a signature item :rolleyes:

It is something a cacher leaves in the cache that is their "signature." It can be anything. I know one person who leaves little polished stones in a small ziplock bag, another leaves custom-made "poker chips," another leaves little American flag pins.

What is a signature item B)

It is something a cacher leaves in the cache that is their "signature." It can be anything. I know one person who leaves little polished stones in a small ziplock bag, another leaves custom-made "poker chips," another leaves little American flag pins.

so could i laeve origami that i made myself