Waterproof?

I'd like to take my explorist 400 kayaking...and in salt water too. Is this ok? Or should I look into buying an Aquapac for it? I'm getting one for my digital camera, and was thinking I might need one for the 400 as well. I know Magellan states that it's "water resistant"...but how resistant?

Thanks.

IPX7 normally.

http://www8.garmin.com/footnotes/IEC_60529_IPX7.html

What you want is IPX8 or that Aquapac.

I would not think twice about brining my GPS on a boating trip. If I fell in, hit white water, got into a splash fight, ...I would expect the IPX7 standard to keep it safe from the dunking and any splashing. However I would not expect my GPS to survive using it as an anchor, or as bait for a pike.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I'd like to take my explorist 400 kayaking...and in salt water too. Is this ok? Or should I look into buying an Aquapac for it? I'm getting one for my digital camera, and was thinking I might need one for the 400 as well. I know Magellan states that it's "water resistant"...but how resistant?

Thanks.

I never go kayaking without my GPS (usually my ol' Garmin GPS V as it's triangle shape sits on the deck nicely, wedged under deck bungie where I can easily see the screen, and my 60CSx as well). I have logged 100's of miles of kayak tracks. The GPS keeps track of pace, distrance travelled, distance to go, etc. All very helpful info when you are out on the water. I have gone swimming (by accident) on a number of occassions. Worse that has happened is I managed to put two nice scratches through the screen protector and into the screen of my 60CSx when it popped out of my pfd pocket and got wedged between the boat and a rock. The GPS made out better than my shin. Battle scars!

Most of my paddling is on fresh water. You have to figure that the GPS is going to get wet when kayaking - spray, rolls, waves. Salt water is pretty tough and can really gunk stuff up. I put the GPS in a clear dry pouch when I'm in salt water. This may not be necessary, but seems like reasonable assurance.

Neither the V nor 60CSx float. For the V, I put a biner clip on the wrist strap and clip this to the deck bungie as a safety cable. If I do go over, or the GPS slips out from under the bungie, it is staying with the boat and not decorating the bottom. I haven't found a good mounting solution for the 60CSx. It goes in the pocket of my pfd and I clip the wrist strap through the pfd buckles so it stays with me (even if it pops out of the pocket, a scratch in the screen is still better than a lost GPS!). I also added a bright orange floating key fob to the wrist strap which is enough for the unit to float with rechargable NiMH batteries. The V is a brick and would take a milk jug to float!

Happy paddling!

Garmin are certainly waterproof when new but after hard use (in this case the 60CS) consider them to be showerproof - as a couple of instances here demonstrate after minor dunks: NZ GPS Society Forum: Inside a 60CS

I would agree that a summersault over MTB handlbars would qualify as "hard use!"

A dry pouch can't hurt a GPS. Just makes the buttons harder to push and the screen harder to read. They are also relatively cheap.

My V is over six years old, was in the drink last season with no problems. I do worry about the seal around the battery compartment cover, especially on the side opposite the hinge.

My biggest concern on the 60CSx is making sure to remember to close the rubber cover over the USB connection. I suspect I will kill my CSx through forgetfulness long before the gasketing becomes brittle.

Thanks for the help.....I will get some type of dry bag for it. I figured it certainly couldn't hurt....but I was curious to how waterproof these units are. And I really don't want to find out how waterproof they aren't...I like my Magellan, it does what I need it it to do. I also like my Garmin too.....but that's another topic altogether :o

I used an Aquapac for my 60CS during several whitewater rafting and kayaking trips. Never had a problem with the GPS getting wet even when the boat got turned upside down. I also used the GPS in the Aquapac on over 50 dives in Hawaii. It stayed connected to the outside of my dive bag, on the deck of the boat and in full exposure to salt spray and rain. I would just rinse the Aquapac off in fresh water once we got back home before removing the GPS.

There are several dry bags made specifically for your GPS, they are definately a good investment if you plan to spend a lot of time around the water. I know they have the IPX7 rating but I like the added protection the Aquapac provided. Just my opinion...

Edited by SAPD