Sudden Issue, pages not displaying

New England n00b

Hi;

I was going over past logs. Clicking on them from the page where it lists all your recent logs, the first two came up fine, but the rest were all blank pages, with no HTML source (tried View - Page Source in Firefox).

I dunno if you are tweaking something, but it tweaked alright. :unsure:

FWIW, the links appear to be correct (here is an example):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3c57a&log=y

Note that the first two that did work did not do so on subsequent clicks.

Thanks!

n00b

EDIT: Well, it suddenly seems to work now... :)

Edited by New England n00b

Sounds like you hit up against the automatic throttling mechanism that is supposed to keep the 'bots out. Hopefully they were tweaking it because I've heard of several people that were getting hit with it even when browsing normally and manually. :unsure:

I don't know if there's been a change recently or not, but it's been my experience this week (as disclosure, I'm a computer guy, not using a wimpy internet connection, am using a laptop - not a 100 processor cluster, and I know how to operate a web browser without looking at the manual between clicks) that as few as five clicks in a relatively short time on the host site is enough to get you on the short term naughty list. Just looking at the new caches in an area is enough to get one booted.

It's very frustrating. I realize the site has availability problems, but this is the ONLY site I deal with that throttles pages at such a frustratingly low limit.

I don't know if there's been a change recently or not, but it's been my experience this week (as disclosure, I'm a computer guy, not using a wimpy internet connection, am using a laptop - not a 100 processor cluster, and I know how to operate a web browser without looking at the manual between clicks) that as few as five clicks in a relatively short time on the host site is enough to get you on the short term naughty list. Just looking at the new caches in an area is enough to get one booted.

It's very frustrating. I realize the site has availability problems, but this is the ONLY site I deal with that throttles pages at such a frustratingly low limit.

That's sorta what I was doing - clicking the last logs in my profile - I hit 7 or 8 one after the other (opened in new tab) so I could check up on the caches.

Just got this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[invalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +396

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSetSP(String StoredProc, ParameterList Params, Int32 Timeout, Database database) +116

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlUserController.GetUserData(String username, String password, String UserIPAddress) +371

Groundspeak.Web.User.Validate(String username, String password, String UserIPAddress) +40

Geocaching.UI.login_default.NewLogin() +130

Geocaching.UI.login_default.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +7

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1330

I got the same things as Rebel when I was trying to log in. It is a no-go. :o

General network error. Check your network documentation.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error. Check your network documentation.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: General network error. Check your network documentation.]

System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction) +474

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +372

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSetSP(String StoredProc, ParameterList Params, Int32 Timeout, Database database) +116

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlUserController.GetUserData(String username, String password, String UserIPAddress) +371

Groundspeak.Web.User.Validate(String username, String password, String UserIPAddress) +40

Geocaching.UI.login_default.NewLogin() +130

Geocaching.UI.login_default.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +7

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Edited by ParentsofSAM

When I try to log on I get..

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI._default.CreateDropdowns() +479

Geocaching.UI._default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +95

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

So I think something is goofy server wise...

Just logged into the mess just now 11am eastern time 6 July 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General network error. Check your network documentation.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error. Check your network documentation.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: General network error. Check your network documentation.]

System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction) +474

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +372

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSet(String sql, Database database, Int32 Timeout) +117

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlWaypointController.GetLatLonData(String Postalcode) +45

Groundspeak.Web.CustomWpt.OriginWpt..ctor(String SearchItem, WptSource Source) +107

Geocaching.LocationPanel.GetQueryParms() +2891

Geocaching.LocationPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +772

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

I can see something is wrong, and I had just recovered from a serious error on my hard drive here, but I do need to replace my whole PC here. I have several problems like a bad memory chip, bad USB controller, and maybe a bad hard drive on a Win XP system.

Ditto here. Can't get into the WAP interface either, which often works when the main site is having trouble, but you even get a network error there. :o

Quick techno-dummy question here. What is a WAP interface?

Ditto here. Can't get into the WAP interface either, which often works when the main site is having trouble, but you even get a network error there. :o

Quick techno-dummy question here. What is a WAP interface?

WAP = Wireless Application Protocol

It's how you access the web from a cell phone or a PDA