Ignored caches?

I have recently placed some caches a bit on the tough side. I know that some people have added them to their ignore list which is OK because not all caches are able or intended to be completed by everyone.

Just wondering who out there has caches that you know people ignore because of tough terrain or overall difficulty??? Links would be nice if youve got em.

All you cache owners with toughies, this is your thread to shine. :lol:

I have recently placed some caches a bit on the tough side. I know that some people have added them to their ignore list which is OK because not all caches are able or intended to be completed by everyone.

Just wondering who out there has caches that you know people ignore because of tough terrain or overall difficulty??? Links would be nice if youve got em.

All you cache owners with toughies, this is your thread to shine. :lol:

I have some high terrain caches and puzzle caches that I'm sure that some people ignore, but I have no way of knowing if someone has actually ignored one. How did you find out that people are ignoring your caches? Edited by TrailGators

Many of my caches are on the difficult side, but they are located in remote places that don't get much attention from run-of-the-mill cachers.

When I placed one a modest distance up a tree (maybe 15 feet) in town, I did get a little static.

Some urban cachers lack the risk tolerance and/or athleticism to bag these caches, and some also lack the ability to just shrug and walk away. Look at the notes as guerilla marketing--folks like me who love to climb trees, walls, rocks, etc. will come from miles around to test themselves against your cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...rypt=#NumVisits

A zero find, one hide cache owner with a cache at the top of a tree. No finds on the cache.

I wish that one was closer this way! I'm not even close to it but i've already started formulating a plan. :(

A zero find, one hide cache owner with a cache at the top of a tree. No finds on the cache.

One of our caches require the same or similar techniques to complete. It's been found plenty of times.

If this cache had been near us it would have been logged at least a couple of times.

Just let me know when either of you come get it. I will be glad to hold the rope. :o

I would never Ignore a tough cache. Those are the ones I like, which for someone my age, I'm am thrilled to be able to place and find. :o This is one I had great fun scouting and then hiking back out to in order to place the cache. :D

One of the most fun caches I have found was this one. After that I had to throw away the shirt I wore since it got shredded during the extensive bushwhack . . . and I had to sew up the Columbia pants that got ripped. They were too expensive to throw away . . .

What fun!!! :(

I set this cache almost 3 weeks ago and it hasn't been done yet. OK, the weather's been awful, and there aren't that many cachers that will take on a 13 mile hike in the mountains, but that's the way I like my caching.

I also found this one, which is bit longer. No-one else has attempted it yet for some reason.

Finally, this one is quite near me and hasn't been done after 10 weeks, but for entirely different reasons. ;)

Although not a high difficulty or terrain rating i am surprised at how few people have attempted our newest puzzle cache.

We had two listed at the same time.

One is a puzzle cache. It was meant to be extremely easy puzzle but we only made it a puzzle to ensure that people read the cache page. GC1398F It is very easy to find and takes no difficult walking.

The other is about .5 miles to the cache and is kind of a bushwack cache. But its a great view so it was worth it for us to place it.

Although placed at the same time the much harder cache has over twice as many visits.

I guess people dont like puzzles. ;)

I read the description of this, particularly the contents of the cache, for which I don't think I would climb a tree. I don't mind hard caches, but at least make the initial reward worth it. Put a couple of CDs in there or just something worth climbing for. If I want to climb for nothing, I'd go rock climbing, not tree climbing. But if I did do the tree, I'd love to come back down and say "I did it! I climbed a tree and look what I got for it!"

Oh and as for the ignore list, I only ignore caches that no one seems to be able to find and the cache owner is ignoring maintenance requests. Difficulty level may make me put it off a little, but not ignore.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8b-674362ae7b56

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0b-c1e7b953bdb8

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...72-b793775ec668

These three are the three newest caches that a buddy and I placed. They are getting good reviews from the cachers. I do like a nice stroll through a park to find an ammo box but sometimes a good physical challenge is what I need.

I ignored all the Rowher Flats jeep trail caches in So Cal since they all require a high clearance 4X4 to get even close to them. Since I only have a 2WD car I cannot even get near them and I don't want them cluttering up my PQs unless I have the ability to go get them. If and when I get something that will allow me to get me in the area, I will go get them. The weird thing about these ones are that they have low terrain ratings.

Although not a high difficulty or terrain rating i am surprised at how few people have attempted our newest puzzle cache.

One is a puzzle cache. It was meant to be extremely easy puzzle but we only made it a puzzle to ensure that people read the cache page. GC1398F It is very easy to find and takes no difficult walking.

The other is about .5 miles to the cache and is kind of a bushwack cache. But its a great view so it was worth it for us to place it.

Although placed at the same time the much harder cache has over twice as many visits.

I guess people dont like puzzles. :D

We just did your puzzle cache and loved it. It was one of the best. I like the challenge of solving the puzzle. Much better then a Walmark cache.

I guess people dont like puzzles. :D

We just did your puzzle cache and loved it. It was one of the best. I like the challenge of solving the puzzle. Much better then a Walmark cache.

Well thank you. :D

I see only 2 reasons to place a cache. To bring someone to a nice spot or to share an interesting type of hide. We try to think out our caches so they are more than just a container in the woods or a film can crammed somewhere.

Why do some people ignore puzzles? Do you even look at them to see if they are feasible?

I don't ignore the difficult caches. I've got five kayak caches, one forty-five feet up a tree, and one on top of a water tower on my Ten-Mile list. I have severe problems with defunct railroad trestles.

What I do put on my Ignore List are cemetery caches. And caches hidden by certain cache owners. Premiere example is the owner who likes to hide bison tubes in maincured evergreens, and never, ever maintains the caches. More than half your cachers are archived for not being maintained? Ignore list.

<snip>

Why do some people ignore puzzles? Do you even look at them to see if they are feasible?

I look at the Puzzle caches that come in the Instant Notifications. Since the "Puzzle People" around here are smart . . . very smart . . . most of the time I look at the page . . . :rolleyes::D;) . . . get an instant headache, and close the cache page. :D

Apparently, there are some very critical neurons missing from my brain. ;)

So, it isn't that I "don't like Puzzles." I just can't figure them out . . . :)

<snip>

I look at the Puzzle caches that come in the Instant Notifications. Since the "Puzzle People" around here are smart . . . very smart . . . most of the time I look at the page . . . :rolleyes::D;) . . . get an instant headache, and close the cache page. :D

Apparently, there are some very critical neurons missing from my brain. ;)

So, it isn't that I "don't like Puzzles." I just can't figure them out . . . :)

Not all mystery caches are puzzles. Many are ALRs. I wish they would split puzzles from mystery caches. I enjoy both but it would be nice to know which ones are ALRs when I'm out caching. I currently don't load mystery caches into my GPS. I do load all the puzzles I have solved in case I get near one.

After having logged more than half of the 5/5 caches in Oregon last year, I decided put out one myself.

The puzzle that I put on to raise the difficulty was not as hard as many that I completed.

My other 2 puzzle caches have each only been found once. I encourage seekers to solve the puzzle and email me for confirmation of the final location.

The new 5/5 cache is Slope Distance. The cache on top of the mountain is rated as a Terrain of 4.5. I give the slope distance from the top of Mt. Ray and the percent slope (64%) and the direction (due south).

Not as bad as puzzles written in ASCII computer language.

Three puzzle caches are enough for me. I may try a night cache next since I have seen a good variety of them and know what I like and don't like.

We don't have a large number of puzzle solver cachers but I'm hoping that the number increases with the numbers of new people taking up the sport.