caching along a bike trail

lkings4

Not sure of the best way to find caches along a certain bike trail. When I search the name of the bike trail I don't get any results. I know there are some on the trail. Any tips? The trail I'm looking at is the Old Plank Trail in IL, I would be going from Joliet to Frankfort or even farther east. HElp?! Still pretty new at this

Use google to find some of the zip codes it runs through. Here's one site that may help.

Since you are a premium member, you can enter a zip code search, click on the map it feature and scroll around until you find the trail (I started at at Park Forest, near Chicago and followed the maps west just below I-30).

You you can scroll around on the google maps and add the caches you want to do to a bookmark list.

You can even use the google maps to create a route and upload the caches along that route and create a pocket query of the caches along that route.

I don't see a lot of caches along it. There are some along the Sauk Trail that intersects it.

Here is one, I think: #5 Illinois Jones & The Riches of Reugen's Lair and here is one that says it's on the trail. I found that one using the google search engine for "Old PLank Trail" +geocaching.

Edited by Neos2

If you are a premium member, you can get caches along a route that you create. You can create the route in a topo program, or in Google Earth, using the Path tool. If you use GE, the Path tool will create a 'track', rather than a 'route'. You will need to convert the track to a route before submitting it to GC.com. I use GPSBabel to convert the KML file to a GPX. Then I use ExpertGPS (paid version of EasyGPS) to convert the track to a route. I submit the converted GPX to GC.com.

The Google Earth process is a bit easier if the route follows streets, instead of a hiking trail. In that case, I ask GE for directions and save as a KML, which creates a route. I can submit that to GC.com without any conversion.

Gosh, you guys are great! Thanks soooo much for your help. I will certainly check out the caches as soon as I get a chance to take the trail. Sure do wish I didn't have to work and then wait on good weather to go. Life is good though, sure can't complain with all of your help. Happy caching!