Idea for a new printed report

stoo

Maybe I am missing something here, but I find that there is no convenient way to get a nice printout of a set a cache listings that I am planning to visit. While you can select a number of caches to download from a search, you can only download in LOC format, which lacks much of the information. GPX is better, but you can only do this one cache at a time unless you use a Pocket Query - which is awkward. The PDF option again can only be used 1 at a time. Also - even though GPX has more cache information, you need external tools to manipulate them. While I have played with GSAK a little, I haven't done much exploring on the reporting topic.

I think this would be a great idea to include right on the geocaching.com site:

o Be able to select a set of caches from either i)a PQ, ii) by selecting some or all of the caches from a search page, iii) from a bookmark set. Now, I understand that maybe you need to put a practical limitation on the number of caches you can select for this report (e.g. 25).

Once you have selected the cache set, be able to choose the following options:

o Include/exclude logs (like the pdf report, 5 logs, 10 logs, etc.)

o Include decrypted hints

o Include hints on cache page or separate page (see below)

o Include/exclude pictures

o Include/exclude maps

o Specify the map zoom value

Once all this is done, it would be great to get a printout like the current PDF report, with the maps included if requested. It would be nice to be able to choose to have all the hints printed in a separate table that you could consult only if you needed. That way, when reading the cache page you won't be "tempted" to glance at the hints section :laughing:

If you use GSAK, it has an option to print "Condensed HTML." Or, even better, for less than $30.00, you can get a PDA like my Palm M500 and have all the cache details for more thann 1000 caches,in a program like Cachemate without using any paper or printer ink. Cachemate has a separate page for the Hint which can be either decrypted, or encrypted, when it is Exported. :laughing:

If you use GSAK, it has an option to print "Condensed HTML." Or, even better, for less than $30.00, you can get a PDA like my Palm M500 and have all the cache details for more thann 1000 caches,in a program like Cachemate without using any paper or printer ink. Cachemate has a separate page for the Hint which can be either decrypted, or encrypted, when it is Exported. :laughing:

Interesting -- does Cachemate allow you to view maps on an M500?? It wasn't obvious from reading the web page.

Cachemate does not show maps, but it is a wonderful tool, probably the best 8$ I have ever spent. My normal method includes generating a number of PQ's of an area, importing those into GSAK, using a GSAK filter to select the caches in a polygon shaped area that I want to go to and then exporting from there to cachemate and the GPS. It did take a little bit of time to figure the GSAK filters but once you do that it is a great time saver.

To view them on a map you can export from GSAK to a gpx and then view that in ExpertGPS or Google Earth.

Edited by Blanston12