WC volunteer wanted

Discombob

Sure, no prob.

BTW - In August ADSL price drop should be happening. Why not drop the dial-up and get ADSL Bob. You will love it much more that Dinosaur Internet. :laughing:

Example:

ADSL self install = Free

ADSL modem = R499 (might have a free modem for you here at the house)

ADSL 384 = R152 per month

1 gig WebAfrica Prepaid bandwidth = R70

Total = R222 per month + phone line rental

It makes sense now to just go for the real thing.

Note* Telkom stills sucks. They are increasing the line rental from R99.92 / month to R111.90 / month to keep their profits up. Decrease prices for the minority, increase them for the majority. What a way to do business!

Well, I would have done it a while back, but i tend to move house quicker than it takes to have a Telkom line installed, so there has never been a chance for me to get it.

I have wireless where i am currently staying, but its so bad I can only log on twice a week, and then its only for 5 minutes :laughing:

... get HSDPA: almost as cheap (pff) as Schmellkom and works almost anywhere (including Table Bay, excluding my house).

Also, Schmellkom has a deal at the moment where they give you a free wireless router (and with no contract).

But to get to get to the point: there is a newsletter? Really? Where do you get these things?

PM sent to DBob (to try and convince him that he'll do a great job!) :lol:

There's a trick to collecting the info - you need to read every log in your region. This sounds formidable, but it's not - I read about 90% of the logs for the whole country, and it works fine with slow Telkom.

You need to set up notifications (premium member feature), for traditionals, multis and puzzles. The notifications have a radius of 80kms, so it needs a bit of map research to work out the centre point of each notification - to minimise overlapping (duplicate logs), and gaps (missing logs). Three or four circles will cover WC except the very outlying areas (can watchlist those caches). This means setting up 9 or 12 notifies.

The notifications are by email - short and sweet, and download very quickly. I browse through them, put aside anything of interest, and delete the rest. When it's newsletter time, I work through the saved logs, and use the link in the notification to call up the cache listing - actually quite painless. :lol:

Then, to find cool images that have been uploaded - I browse through the active cachers' profile galleries to see what's new and interesting.

Hope this helps - Good luck!!

I recently went the HSDPA route with Vodacom. R249 p.m. for 500MB, which is waaay more than I have been able to use up in a month. MTN also have packages worth looking at. Thinking of cancelling my land line as well, to achieve total independence from Schmellkom.

Some time ago I toyed with the idea of doing a WC newsletter, but decided it would probably mean a lot of hard work and take up a lot of my time, and I get enough of that at the office as it is.

Looking forward to the first issue, Bob! :lol:

P.S. Being in the IT field, and in data networking in particular, I know that it can take Schmellkom months to install ADSL, and there's no guarantee that it will work properly once they've installed it. They are bleeding technical skills right now. And, if you have a notebook PC, HSDPA makes your Internet access very mobile.

Edited by Goofster

I recently went the HSDPA route with Vodacom. R249 p.m. for 500MB, which is waaay more than I have been able to use up in a month. MTN also have packages worth looking at. Thinking of cancelling my land line as well, to achieve total independence from Schmellkom.

Telkom owns 50% share in Vodacom. Can't get away from them either way. But yeah, connection is same day with HSDPA/USB modem option.

Hey, you all seemed to misunderstand me!

i said i'm not able to produce the newsletter.

Although i have had 2 offers of ASDL to use, and i am currently in negotiation with a mystery sponsor who might be able to help in compiling the letter.

B&F, there is currently a newsletter for Mpumalanga only.

mail Fish eagle if you want to be added to the mailing list. It comes out quite irregularly at the moment though :rolleyes:

Well, it seems that Cownchicken and myself are going to be working on a newsletter :o

We would love some contributions from WC cachers who have had any funny or interesting caching experiences, or perhaps you have been caching out of WC.

Please email me or cownchicken with any submissions you may have.

We are also looking for some funky caching photos, so send these too - although no photos to me please, as my dodgy email system doesn't have much storage space :laughing:

We are also looking to find any newbies to welcome them, so if you spot a newbie finding one of your caches, let us know too

And for those who are about to say "ooh, why don't you get a gmail account", yes, I do have one, but I think the user friendliness of it sucks :o

And for those who are about to say "ooh, why don't you get a gmail account", yes, I do have one, but I think the user friendliness of it sucks :o

gmail is very friendly if you hook it up to deliver directly to your e-mail app (Outlook, Firebird etc)...

Looking forward to the newsletter! Would volunteer writing services, but not sure if I have the time to read half the logs in the Western Cape... even if we only have a new cache every blue moon :laughing:

We would love some contributions from WC cachers who have had any funny or interesting caching experiences, or perhaps you have been caching out of WC.

WC cachers caching outside of the WC..... Never! who would have thought! You mean there is life beyond the mountain.

And for those who are about to say "ooh, why don't you get a gmail account", yes, I do have one, but I think the user friendliness of it sucks :laughing:

Google's usablity ROCKS! and if you dont like it then you are in for big problems because they are taking over the interweb bit by bit (YAY) ! Go GOOGLE - "don't be evil"! :blink: