Deleting another cachers log !

Noddy

:laughing:

What does everyone feel about a cache owner deleting another cachers log or logs?

Obviously when visiting a cache and then writing up a log you do so but invitation of the cache owner, but the cache is now in the caching domain and cachers have the right to make comments. I think most cachers try to make any comment with sensitivity and try to word their comments, so that no offence is taken, although constructive critism is part of the game.

Then there is also the saying that if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

Rather than delete a log, rather PM the cacher and ask for a section or sections to be modified especially if it gives away information.

But what are you trying to hide by deleting logs???

:blink:

i dont know if thats an issue in Durban, but i havent heard of such problems in CT.

If the comments are not favourable to cache, shouldnt be deleted, but if there are swear words and obscene language, then i suppose its fair to delete as this is a family game, as long as logger is notified and allowed to relog.

There are caches where the cache page specifies that a certain something needs to be done in order to log cache, or log will be deleted. if this is not done, then it should be fine to delete too, if logger was notified.

i have such a cache (the other half), but have never actually deleted a log, even if my request was not adhered to

You, as the cache owner have the right and means to delete a log. That is why it is allowed by Groundspeak.

Whethere the finder or anybody else agrees is inmaterial. It is a basic right of the cache owner.

Thus it is always good to remember to be a gracious guest in the presence of the host.

As a finder you have the right to report your grievances to Groundspeak. They enforce the "Guidelines" as this is a "game".

There are caches where the cache page specifies that a certain something needs to be done in order to log cache, or log will be deleted. if this is not done, then it should be fine to delete too, if logger was notified.

i have such a cache (the other half), but have never actually deleted a log, even if my request was not adhered to

I threaten the same thing but haven't really stuck by it. I have had a log or two deleted on me. I siply email the cache owner and explain. He/She has allowed me to relog the cache afterwards. Machu Picchu virtual cache comes to mind on this.

I think it's pretty much been said already.

To add my 2 pennies, I've only ever deleted one log. This log was due to the logger giving away the details of a mystery cache.

Like C&C I also disallow double logs on my caches. The odd one that has occurred, I've PM'd the cacher and requested them to change their subsequent log to a note with my reasons, and they've all happily changed them.

So unless there's something particularly offensive (language) or it's giving the game away, then there should be no reason to delete the log.

If the cache owner is particularly offended by the log, then they should PM the cacher to understand their log. More often than not, the two parties may reach a better understanding of each others opinions and perhaps the log will be edited/removed or the owner may accept the log.

I DID IT - I DELETED A NODDY LOG! :blink:

Let me tell you why. My most recent cache had some fundamental flaws so I took on Noddy's comments and another cacher's comments and revised the whole cache, therefore making the logs no longer relevant.

Am I wrong to delete 'no longer relevant' logs for a cache whose original format has completely changed?

Everyone's thoughts welcome-good or bad.

P.S. If I offended you Noddy, then I apologise. :laughing:

I DID IT - I DELETED A NODDY LOG! :blink:

Let me tell you why. My most recent cache had some fundamental flaws so I took on Noddy's comments and another cacher's comments and revised the whole cache, therefore making the logs no longer relevant.

Am I wrong to delete 'no longer relevant' logs for a cache whose original format has completely changed?

P.S. If I offended you Noddy, then I apologise. :blink:

:laughing: I was dying to know the details. thanks :laughing:

I reckon if the cache was changed dramatically a curteous email would have gone along way before deleting the log(s). Maybe leaving the cachers that have found it already as-is. Thats MHO anyway. :laughing:

Some off our caches have changed drastically from their first creation and all the logs remain intact. The better route would have been to post a maintenance log to your cache say that "bla bla bla" has changed and leave the old logs. New finders will know the cache is ok, by seeing the maintenance log.

The cachers made fair comment on your cache and this caused you to change it. Give the credit (as you have now done so) where it is due.

(as far as I know) By deleting a log the cacher "looses" that find and therefore their number of caches found decreases and also they have to find that cache again. Is this really fair. They had to put up with the glytch-filled cache in the first place!

Beware or Noddy may send the Gollywogs after you :blink:

~~~~~~~~

With regard to deleting logs. I have deleted some where they had no relation to the cache and were about a TB that when missing from one of our caches. A log is part of the history of your cache. It is cool to look back years (yes we are all getting old) down the line and remember the (possibly) dodgy past that your cache had :laughing:

~~~~~~~~~

This game/sport is made up by the people that play it. By stick with the community and you can't go wrong. (One of us is bound to post a thread in the forum :laughing: )

I DID IT - I DELETED A NODDY LOG! :unsure:

P.S. If I offended you Noddy, then I apologise. :)

Yes you are. They did the work that found the cache and the finds should stand.

All the things that made their finds "irrellevent" point to the simple fact that you should have created a new cache instead of recyling the old one. A new cache would have solved the issue. The logs would be on the archived cache, the new cache would start over with new logs.

Thank you very much for your opinions and they have been taken on board.

I would however like to comment that no cachers suffered in the deleting of their logs as no one had found the cache. No finds were lost! For clarification we would NEVER delete a find!!

Fair enough. All the more reason the logs could have stayed with your corrections to the cache. They did help with getting the cache fixed.