Logging?

Sunnyside Cachers

You could always send a very friendly email, especially to a new cacher, to let them know you noticed a "Found it" log on their own cache. You could ask if they knew there was a "Write Note" or "Owner Maintenance" option.

A friend recently discovered he had inadvertently logged a "Found it" on one of his own caches when he used a "Statistics site" that picks up those sorts of things. If someone is really into the "numbers," you would think they would want them to be accurate. :laughing: But then, some people are so into the "numbers," they don't care about accuracy . . . :blink::laughing:

Thanks for the advice Miragee. I thought that maybe it was a mistake until I checked out all of his caches. (Who really has the problem here--obsess much!?) Anyway, every one of his places are logged as finds. I guess he is one of those that are so into numbers (190ish right now) that he would rather compromise the game.

One could get upset by people who log their own caches as find if you were to look at it as a competition for who got the most finds. But geocaching is not a competition so it doesn't really matter if someone logs their own caches or not. Still some in the geocaching community would like there to be some minimum standard for when to use the "found it" log. Even though geocaching does not award prizes for getting a certain number of finds, those that do get congratulated and sometimes their friends will buy them a drink to celebrate. People that log their own caches are sometimes viewed as cheaters by those who believe there should be a standard met for using a 'found it' log. You will have to decide for yourself where you stand on the issue. My guess it that you'll have less of a chance of developing an ulcer if you don't let other people's logging practices bother you.

I have noticed in my area that some cachers log their own hides as finds if they go out to do maintenance. Does anyone else do this? Is it a typical practice?

It isn't typical and it isn't limited to one person in your area.

The cache owner is the arbiter and clearly has no objection. :lol:

You might consider that this action is deliberate, someone saying in effect "it isn't important" to me. And in fact it really is their own business, it is their cache and it is their Found log. FWIW I agree that it isn't important and I would never voice any objection because it doesn't affect me in any way. Cache owners control their caches. The practice, though unusual, may be selected deliberately precisely because it underscores the fact that a "Found It" log is really a transaction between the Hider and the Seeker and no one else has any place in that transaction.

There is a caveat - the entire community has an interest in the "Found it" transaction insofar as subsequent searchers may rely on the accuracy of the record, an unfound cache should be logged with a "DNF" or alternatively "no log" at all. An unfound cache should never be marked with a "Found It" log, doing so has an adverse affect on subsequents searchers and hence the community.

In the case of the cacher you are talking about I see no possible way to send a friendly email when in fact you would only be expressing your own misapprehension that there is some standard involved that defines when and where a "Found It" log might be proper and there isn't, every cache owner has the power to enforce their own standard.

I've gone to Caches and not signed the Logbook or Logged online.

I've gone to Cache sites and just enjoyed the area/view.

It all balances out. GeoCaching to me is about enjoyment rather than finds.

To each their own as long as nobody gets hurt. <shrug>

Loren :lol: