Beeline

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/

I've downloaded the trial version, which looks great. But, once I get close to the cache, say within 80 foot, it stops counting down and pointing. It's installed on me Mio P350.

My GPS is a Garmin 60 y'see, which doesnt have a SIRF chip. The Mio does, tho, so I was thinking that if Beeline works nicely, if I am particularly struggling under tree cover I can use the PDA. Signal strength is indeed very mighty.

Is Beeline much cop at finding caches tho?

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/

I've downloaded the trial version, which looks great. But, once I get close to the cache, say within 80 foot, it stops counting down and pointing. It's installed on me Mio P350.

My GPS is a Garmin 60 y'see, which doesnt have a SIRF chip. The Mio does, tho, so I was thinking that if Beeline works nicely, if I am particularly struggling under tree cover I can use the PDA. Signal strength is indeed very mighty.

Is Beeline much cop at finding caches tho?

I have been using Beeline on my O2 XDAIIs (That's a Pocket PC with a Phone in) with a TomTom Mobile GPSr. I found it to lose accuracy and freeze alot when nearing the target, but i put that down to the fact that most caches are under trees! You may prove me wrong! I find the software good as i can download Cache info straight from geocaching.com to the PDA and to Google Earth and track info between the PDA and Google Earth. The only problem is that Beeline shows the name of the waypoints as the ID of the listing eg:GDT10K so if you reduce this column under waypoint manager you will see the notes Column that holds the description of the waypoint. I Print off a Very close view from Google Earth that has always took me straight to the cache. What is cool is that you can open the pda's track file from within google earth and do a flyby of your trip.

Tony

I've had it stop pointing if I stop moving for long enough - but I put that down to my GPS not the software..

Have you got "Use course from GPS" unchecked in Map Properties? If your GPS doesn't update the course, BeeLine will interpolate using software..

Also - change the "Waypoint Arrival Alarm" distance in Map properties - BeeLine stops navigating when it thinks you've reached the target. I've got mine set to 2 metres, and BeeLine will keep guiding me in until I get there. Sounds like you've got yours set too high.

Edited by keehotee

BeeLineGPS has some new features that will directly control the SiRF GPS. Some SiRF enabled PDAs have the Static Navigation mode enabled when shipped. When enabled, this mode is used for vehicle navigation. For pedestrian use it's a good idea to have static navigation disabled. See menu item "Tools->GPS->Manufacture Specific->Setup SiRF Parameters..." These features are found in version 1.82.121.

For more information on SiRF static navigation mode see this article.

Added waypoint arrival comment:

BeeLineGPS will continue to navigate after it shows the waypoint arrival dialog. It will continue to navigate and stop navigating to the arrived waypoint when the distance is greater than 500ft.

Edited by RumJungle

Thanks for that, seems like it is a good program then! Has anyone configured a Mio P350 or P550 to work with modified static nav settings? And how do you delete all waypoints in Beeline? Ta :laughing:

I have only started usin it too and found that the best way to delete all the waypoints is in waypoint manager. Unfortunately you have to do them one by one. If there is another way then i stand corrected and i will use that too.

Tony

The best way to use most devices I've found is to get to roughly where the cache is and stand still. Observe the distance to go for a few secs, then move and stand still again. Do this a few times and you will get to within 5m of it every time. No need for the pointer when you're moving slowly then.

Thanks for that, seems like it is a good program then! Has anyone configured a Mio P350 or P550 to work with modified static nav settings? And how do you delete all waypoints in Beeline? Ta :blink:

I have only started usin it too and found that the best way to delete all the waypoints is in waypoint manager. Unfortunately you have to do them one by one. If there is another way then i stand corrected and i will use that too.

Tony

The best way to delete all waypoints is:

Open File Explorer, go to "My Documents/BeelineGPS" and delete the file BLWaypoint. You're done. :laughing:

Use www.gpspassion.com to search info about static navigation and your gps models.

the mio p350 has the same problem when using memory map, the goto arrow and distance don't update unless you're moving at more than 5mph. Memory map provide a static navigation patch, a little program that you install on the p350, and can switch static navigation on or off. See their support forum http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?showtopic=3048

I don't know, but it may well work for any application, as it seems to change the static nav setting independently of the mm software. Worth a try, it's free :laughing:

I went out caching today and i dropped my PDA. it reset itself completely clearing all the programmes on it. I went home and quickly loaded beeline again and all the waypoints needed for the day, and it turns out i loaded an older version. V1.78. This one had a larger view on the panel tab and i had no time to reload the newer version. Turns out that this version had no problems getting me to within 5 ft of the caches that i found today. I dunno if it was because i was in a different part of the country or not, so when i try one out later this week i will go to where i was having the difficultys and see if there is a difference

Tony

Thanks for that, seems like it is a good program then! Has anyone configured a Mio P350 or P550 to work with modified static nav settings? And how do you delete all waypoints in Beeline? Ta :lol:

Have been using Beeline for some months now on Mio 350. Find it very good. Deleting all waypoints is slow as need to highlight each waypoint until required amount highlighted then hit delete.

And how do you delete all waypoints in Beeline? Ta :lol:

Use the standard key combinations of Shift-Click. In Waypoint Manager, view all waypoints, highlight the top one, bring up the keyboard, scroll to the bottom of the list, tap shift, highlight the bottom waypoint, tap delete, confirm.

Takes longer to explain than to do :lol:

Ta, I'm running it on the Pocket PC though, doesn't seem to be a way to multiple-highlight.

Me too. Ctrl-Click doesn't work, but Shift-Click works for me as expected. It's the way I clear the waypoints before loading new ones.

Deleting the file(s) will also work, but is rather more dramatic :lol:

Have been (Playing around) loading Beeline onto my 550, then opened up Memory Map and now when I go to exit in Memory Map I get the message 'Failed to terminate RS232 thread' Has anyone any idea what this is, just wish I could get everything back to normal even though it means taking Beeline off which would be a shame in some ways as it looks quite good if one can get it all to function.

I used to have that on my old iPAQ with MM running. I think it's a Bluetooth port issue. You may need a program that will allow MM and Beeline to share the BT port. I think someone mentioned one in this forum a few days ago.

Could it be GPS Gate?

It could be but there's a built-in equivalent on the P550. So I think it might have been my earlier post regarding MemoryMap:

Start off by checking the GPS settings on the main control panel. Use COM4 for the program port, COM2/4800 for the hardware port and tick the 'manage automatically' box. These (apart from the tick box) should be the defaults IIRC.

Then choose COM4 in Beeline. If you use auto detect it will probably choose COM2.

Geoff

Not hit and miss at all! I'd say you just need someone that knows what they are doing to help you twiddle with the settings until you get it right.

I guess that's the benefit of bringing stuff to events.

Wasn't there a kind of help night on the chatroom or has that gone by the by?

Deleting all waypoints is slow as need to highlight each waypoint until required amount highlighted then hit delete.

Probably a silly question, but why do you want to delete your BeeLine database?

I just load new PQ's in as they arrive - and as they're all named the same, they just overwrite the one already stored on my pda. Then when I add them to the BeeLine db they just update the db rather than creating duplicates.

Fair enough the db is getting bigger as I knock off more caches and add PQ's for other areas, but I'm up to about 3500 now without any noticeable ill effects.

i had trouble with memory map and bee line arguing over the gps feed and gps gate not working well.

easy solution for me. i use the gps feed onto memory map with the caches loaded as waypoints. then when i get near i can look up the cache info on bee line which is much easier to read than other options. works well for me.

:rolleyes: