Deciding on a unit (Mac owner)

Howdy,

I've been trying to decide on a GPS unit to purchase for a while, and I've tried doing some researching as to what works with Macs, features, etc. Not knowing much about this stuff and having never owned a GPS unit before, I'm still at a loss.

Ideally, I'd like to have something that focuses on geocaching/hiking/outdoorsy stuff but functions well for driving directions, too. I get lost driving a lot.

I think the Garmin GPSMAP CSx is capable of all this, and I've seen mixed results as to how well the CSx works with a Mac. I've seen mention of 3rd party software, as well as Garmin actually providing their own now (though I can't find anything for download).

I don't really have a preference for brand, seeing as I don't know who does what better. I was actually just given a Magellan Maestro 3100 as a birthday present. It seems nice, but it doesn't serve my needs and I think I'd rather return it and put its price towards something that would.

I really appreciate any help or suggestions any of you may be able to offer. Thanks!

I understand there is a new Mac OS due to be release called Boot Camp that is suppose to work with Microsoft software. As far as I know Magellan and Garmin do not make software for a Mac. There may be other software the is manufactured by a third party that will interface with a Mac, there is a version of National geographic that will work with a Mac for sending data to and from a GPS. But if you want to load a map into the GPS you may be out of luck.

Welcome to the Forums! :o

I think Garmin is working on software for the Mac . . . at least it has been mentioned in these Forums for awhile.

Although the GPS Map60CSx is very popular, I, and others, prefer the smaller size of the Garmin eTrex line. Unless you are in a real rush, I would wait to get the new Legend HCx or Vista HCx which are coming out soon. They are going to have a more-sensitive chip than the current eTrex line (Venture Cx, Legend Cx, Vista Cx).

If you do a Search of the Forums, I'm sure you'll find out the combinations of programs others use with their Macs and the pocket queries they get from GC.com after becoming a Premium Member. :D

I understand there is a new Mac OS due to be release called Boot Camp that is suppose to work with Microsoft software. </snip>

Just to clarify. Mac OS software and boot camp are entirelly different. Boot Camp is nothing more than a tool that allows you to partition your Mac's harddrive such that you can install a licensed copy of Windows XP (SP2) or Vista on your mac. You can then boot into Windows natively. Boot camp is available now as a free download, and runs on the current Mac OS (10.4).

The upcoming OS update, 10.5, will include Boot Camp, and this is what JohnnyVegas may be thinking of. It will not have to be downloaded seperately.

This all said, boot camp only works if you have an intel based Mac. G5 processors and earlier won't work.

Personally as a Mac user I find the simple answer is to use multiple units.

I use a proper TomTom PDA which is easily the best SatNav software, and a eTrex GPSr for caching.

I convert my various pocket query GPX files into TomTom POIs.

I use GPXView on the PPC PDA to view the cache details if needed.

As well as sometimes using Vito Navigator II as a backup to the eTrex (Convert the GPX to a .loc using GPSBabel) Use MacSimpleGPS to dump the GPX to my eTrek via USB to Serial adaptor.

That's all under the OSX, I get the files onto the PDA by putting the SD card into the Mac.

I do use Virtual PC very occasionally when the PDA loses power and deletes everything! But it only takes 5 minutes to reinstall TomTom (The SD card always remains intact). Bloody Windows!

My only problem right now is the newer 7 digit cache titles, which sometime confuse the eTrex, but with the PDA I can at least manually enter the cache coords whilst out caching.

GPSBabel is supposed to be able to smart rename the caches by removing the 'G' from the start, but I can't get it to work properly.

GSAK will also fix this but it means running Virtual PC everytime I want to send waypoints to the eTrex, which I don't want to do.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Forums! :o

I think Garmin is working on software for the Mac . . . at least it has been mentioned in these Forums for awhile.

Although the GPS Map60CSx is very popular, I, and others, prefer the smaller size of the Garmin eTrex line. Unless you are in a real rush, I would wait to get the new Legend HCx or Vista HCx which are coming out soon. They are going to have a more-sensitive chip than the current eTrex line (Venture Cx, Legend Cx, Vista Cx).

If you do a Search of the Forums, I'm sure you'll find out the combinations of programs others use with their Macs and the pocket queries they get from GC.com after becoming a Premium Member. :D

Thanks for the help, everyone.

I just did a comparison between the current versions of those models. Apart from a hardware UI standpoint, I didn't see much differentiating any of them. Is there something I'm not seeing? I stopped by an EMS on the way home today to take a look at the GPSMAP 60CSx and I like the look, feel and button placement- there has to be some reason it's more expensive though.

As for the previously mentioned Boot Camp suggestion, as someone else mentioned, that will only work on Intel Macs. While I'm in the market for a laptop, I'm using a PowerMac G5. So unfortunately that is not an option. It looks like there are maps that can be purchased that wouldn't require connecting to the Mac at all (if I'm understanding JohnnyVegas's second post correctly), but I'm really hoping to be able to pull up a map on my computer with any trails I've taken.

How do the Garmins fare as far as driving directions are concerned? I've used an eTrex in the past for geocaching, and it worked fine, though seemed fairly basic. I didn't try using it for driving directions, though.

I think the 60Csx is a good choice. I use the 60C personally. Garmin is slowly releasing Mac software. They now have the web updater and their fitness software Mac compatible, and Mapsource is on the way.

Until then, there are alternatives. Several freeware programs can be used for transferring waypoints. To do what you mention (view tracks on maps) you can use MacGPS Pro, which is a commercial program. They sell USGS Topo maps by state on DVD. You can use them on your computer, view waypoints and tracks, and use the software to transfer tracks, waypoints and routes.

You can't of course load the maps onto the GPSr, but you can view them on your screen. Here's a screen shot with several waypoints and a green track overlaid.

screen.jpg

As mentioned, if you need auto navigation right now you will need to use Windows to transfer maps, at least until Garmin releases the Mac version.

Edited by andylphoto

I did end up picking up the 60CSx and even without connecting it to my Mac or purchasing any driving/topo maps yet, I'm liking it a lot. It finds satellites really quickly, and keeps a connection even indoors. I'm very impressed by that, after dealing with my friend's eTrex. I'm still tinkering around with everything and trying to get a feel for it.

chimbisimo, I looked at your site and I'm still having troubles with some of your walk-throughs. I'm guessing this is because you're using an entirely different unit. If you do have experience with GPSBabel and a the 60CSx, I'd love it if you'd be able to help a bit via PM.

I'm very interested in doing things like in that image above, overlaying a track on top of a map. I should be able to use a friend's computer or possibly even get permission at work for loading maps onto the device once I get some.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for your help.

Edited by JaeCee