Coming up on #500

Miss-Keeto

Not to be rude but I find myself with the same question. Any thoughts for a bit further south?

P.S. she had completed 15 at level 4+ so she can proabbly handle the ones you suggest.

I just looked at Air Crash 3 on Google Earth. WOW!

from wikipedia:

"Kaaterskill High Peak (officially just High Peak) is one of the Catskill Mountains, located in the Town of Hunter in Greene County, New York, USA. It was once believed to be the highest peak in the entire range, but its summit, at 3,655 feet (1,114 m) in elevation, places it only 23rd among the Catskill High Peaks. It is, however, the fourth most prominent peak in the range. Due to its situation as the easternmost High Peak, it is also the only one completely outside the watersheds of New York City's reservoirs in the region. Along with Round Top to the east, its distinctive ridgeline is a visual signature of the Catskills. Even today, it dominates the view of the range from the Hudson Valley. In the early 19th century, it was a frequent subject of works by Thomas Cole and other artists of the Hudson River school. Their works helped establish the Catskill Mountain House and other hotels around North-South Lake as the fashionable summer vacation spot for wealthy Americans of the era. Despite that popularity, the mountain was admired from afar more often than it was climbed. Although it boasts the earliest recorded ascent of any Catskill peak, today it seems somewhat neglected, lacking an official trail to its summit. However, a well-used path does exist, and perhaps because of the light use the mountain gets it is very popular with the area's serious hikers, due to the views available from Hurricane Ledge south of the summit, and several other points of interest in the vicinity of the mountain."

Edited by weathernowcast
However, a well-used path does exist, and perhaps because of the light use the mountain gets it is very popular with the area's serious hikers, due to the views available from Hurricane Ledge south of the summit, and several other points of interest in the vicinity of the mountain."

It is an incredible view.

Further south, consider the NY NJ Multi State Multi Cache. Might be the best cache experience in the region.

I remember you from a recent forum in here in which you asked about Manhattan. I remember recommending one called BCF-5: "Indian Caves" in Inwood Hill Park. I haven't found it yet, but it's very unique, a "mountain cache" with decent terrain challenge in the City! It was somewhere here that I mentioned it with links:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=165033&hl=

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

This one just outside Scranton is a great one with a view. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e2-dc7bde61ff05

HMM, if you're going to go that far, this other one around there might work as well. We haven't found the cache but we've seen the view and it's certainly looks like a challenge worthy of a major milestone:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...29-9a9f72f25f82

However, a well-used path does exist, and perhaps because of the light use the mountain gets it is very popular with the area's serious hikers, due to the views available from Hurricane Ledge south of the summit, and several other points of interest in the vicinity of the mountain."

Further south, consider the NY NJ Multi State Multi Cache. Might be the best cache experience in the region.

I picked up the trail maps when I was in Woodstock yesterday. Aircrash 3 looks like a great and doable cache. Brian, is this one where having a hiking partner is mandatory?

I picked up the trail maps when I was in Woodstock yesterday. Aircrash 3 looks like a great and doable cache. Brian, is this one where having a hiking partner is mandatory?

I wouldn't say mandatory. There is one hairy section where if you slip it might be good to have a partner to call SAR. Best way is from the parking on Platte Clove Rd and approach the peak from the south. You don't want to climb down the south face (going up is much easier), nor do you want to miss the view from the south face (Hurricane Ledge).

So go in from the south and return from the north. See my hike on localhikes.com for the suggested route.

Edited by briansnat

What is the estimated time of the hike to Aircrash? Really wouldn't want to start too late and get stuck in the dark. Maybe we can set a date and take a group hike. More the merrier (and more to call SAR) :rolleyes:

I would like to do this as a group hike. It would be fun if we could both do it for our 500th. Io would like to come up there again ut only if you give me an expanded hint for "framed"

What is the estimated time of the hike to Aircrash? Really wouldn't want to start too late and get stuck in the dark. Maybe we can set a date and take a group hike. More the merrier (and more to call SAR) :rolleyes:

I would like to do this as a group hike. It would be fun if we could both do it for our 500th. Io would like to come up there again ut only if you give me an expanded hint for "framed"

What is the estimated time of the hike to Aircrash? Really wouldn't want to start too late and get stuck in the dark. Maybe we can set a date and take a group hike. More the merrier (and more to call SAR) B)

Shouldn't take much more than 5 hours RT. Maybe 6 if you really take your time.

Although I can not professionally endorse a 15 day forecast. A weather service company out of central pennsylvania currently is forecasting "Brilliant Sunshine" for Saturday July 21st. They are forecating a high of 81 but the day will start out from a low of 56. This sounds too ideal to pass up if the forecast holds from so far out.

If you are up for it, I will be there to collect #500 on the 21st if the weather is going to be this good. Anyone that wants to join me please do as I too wish to have company. I still think it would be grand if we both did #500 together!

Edited by weathernowcast

This one just outside Scranton is a great one with a view. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e2-dc7bde61ff05

HMM, if you're going to go that far, this other one around there might work as well. We haven't found the cache but we've seen the view and it's certainly looks like a challenge worthy of a major milestone:

(Here I am replying to myself again..... :D )

Miss Keeto, I realize now (reviewing my log for an event around there that we're not making and seeing your "attend log") that someone was probably referencing a cache in Scranton in terms of the event you're going to (which is actually about an hour's drive past Scranton but I imagine from Kingston you would pass that on I-84 going to or coming from the event, unlike us further south who would've taken I-80). Anyway, if you haven't hit 500 (but are close) when you are at the 7/21 event, the cache I reference above is very, very close to the event (like a couple of miles) and the hiders are kind of becoming to that region what Jonboy is in the area between you and us, if you know what I mean! You should try that one anyway when you're there, I show a picture of the view in our "incomplete" log and I know you'd enjoy it.

(You'll love the park the event is in if you haven't been to it before; it looks like a combination of a war memorial and a kid's playground when you enter but there's tons of nice hiking trails hidden behind it (and 3 caches as well!). Have fun and good luck!

(Here I am replying to myself again..... :D )

Miss Keeto, I realize now (reviewing my log for an event around there that we're not making and seeing your "attend log") that someone was probably referencing a cache in Scranton in terms of the event you're going to (which is actually about an hour's drive past Scranton but I imagine from Kingston you would pass that on I-84 going to or coming from the event, unlike us further south who would've taken I-80). Anyway, if you haven't hit 500 (but are close) when you are at the 7/21 event, the cache I reference above is very, very close to the event (like a couple of miles) and the hiders are kind of becoming to that region what Jonboy is in the area between you and us, if you know what I mean! You should try that one anyway when you're there, I show a picture of the view in our "incomplete" log and I know you'd enjoy it.

(You'll love the park the event is in if you haven't been to it before; it looks like a combination of a war memorial and a kid's playground when you enter but there's tons of nice hiking trails hidden behind it (and 3 caches as well!). Have fun and good luck!

Thanks!

I am originally from Pennsylvania and have just live in NY for a few months. The event in PA is in my old stomping grounds where we (me and Ript2Shrds) have some caches placed. We used to be Team Beavage Cleavers when we lived there. So it will be great coming "home" for the weekend. I am not sure when I'm going to hit #500 but hopefully I can plan it :D

Sorry to see you won't be attending! Thanks for all your help guys!