How Can I Fix This 60CSx Annoyance?

Thot

How do I get rid of the pseudo compass screen -- the screen a lot of people use to point to the cache. I don't use this screen, but it's always in my way and I have to toggle screens to get away from it.

I've turned it off in the settings and it doesn't normally show, but ;)every time ;) I choose a new cache to go to this dadgum screen comes up and I have to find the button and click it away ----- baaaaa humbug. :D:o:D:o

you can turn off screens in the setup menu.

Goto Menu, Setup, then Page Sequence menus then select the screens you want.

Edited in:

When you go to the PAGE SEQUENCE screen you can change the order of screens, and add and remove screens, and when you delete the Compass page from the main sequence, it throws that page into the Main Menu page, so all the pages that are deleted are found in the menu page.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Thanks for your reply.

you can turn off screens in the setup menu.

Goto Menu, Setup, then Page Sequence menus then select the screens you want.

Edited in:

When you go to the PAGE SEQUENCE screen you can change the order of screens, and add and remove screens, and when you delete the Compass page from the main sequence, it throws that page into the Main Menu page, so all the pages that are deleted are found in the menu page.

Sorry, I didn't follow all that.

The screens listed in my Page Sequence screen are, in order:

Map

Satellite

Active Route

Main Menu

<Add Page>

As I said in my original post, the screen I'm calling the pseudo compass only shows up when I choose a waypoint to "Go To." It does not show when I first turn on the device or after I have selected a waypoint to Go To and then toggled away from it once.

One way to get around it would be to manually change the icon for un-found caches to something else other than the closed treasure chest. Then the unit will not go into the geocaching mode. The down side to this is that you will have to manually change the icon to the found cache open treasure chest every time you find a cache so you can keep track of which ones you have found. There has to be a better way though.

To get the compass to work correctlly, turn it on by holding the page button for a few seconds, this toggles the compass on and off. Also, you need to recalibrate the compass after every time you remove the batteries by going to the calibration screen, holding it fairly flat and spinning in 2 slow circles.

Edited by BoostJunkie

One way to get around it would be to manually change the icon for un-found caches to something else other than the closed treasure chest. Then the unit will not go into the geocaching mode. The down side to this is that you will have to manually change the icon to the found cache open treasure chest every time you find a cache so you can keep track of which ones you have found. There has to be a better way though.

Thats for that tip. It should be easy to do in GSAK. I'll see if that fixes things.

Or keep the closed treasure chest in your waypoints, but go into the unit setup under geocaching mode and change the icon there to something else (one that you normally don't use). Probably easier to change the unit's default than to change all the waypoints.

Edit - Note to self: remove mittens before typing

Edited by Sputnik 57

Or keep the closed treasure chest in your waypoints, but go into the unit setup under geocaching mode and change the icon there to something else (one that you normally don't use). Probably easier to change the unit's default than to change all the waypoints.

Clever, clever! That was an excellent solution. It worked like a charm. Now when I do a Find it goes directly to the Map page which is exactly what I want. Thanks.

Edited by Thot

I think you are right, because seems to me when the new 'x' versions came out, some people didn't like that it went to the map page after "Go To." They wanted the compass page, the way it was on their Map 60CS and the new 'x' GPSr wasn't set up that way . . . :unsure:

Sounds like your Map60CSx has a bug in it, but my Map60Cx goes straight to the Map Page, when I GOTO a Geocache. Maybe the units with sensors are different than mine without sensors.

I spoke to Garmin about this problem and they said 60CSxs all work the way mine does.

Edited by Thot

I believe that it will only go to the map page if you have street maps installed for autorouting.

This is close. If you have your routing set to "Follow Streets" or "Prompted" it will automatically go to the map screen on a "GoTo". If you have "Off-Road" selected, the GPSr automatically jumps to the compass screen. At least this is how my 60CSx works...