Oldest Cache yet to be found?

A friend and I were considering going after A Superior Cache! and I began to wonder. Is this the oldest cache not found or is there an older one? My PQs seems to be limited to a 500mile radius.

Anyone know of older ones?

Wow that's cool.

Here's the oldest unfound in the world, as far as I could tell. Placed January 6, 2001, in Belize. Never been found.

(Hint: don't give the PQ any home coordinates, just pick "countries" and pick 'em all. I also verified by picking "states/provinces" next and picked THEM all, and it gave me the same results.)

A friend and I were considering going after A Superior Cache! and I began to wonder. Is this the oldest cache not found or is there an older one? My PQs seems to be limited to a 500mile radius.

Wow that's cool.

Here's the oldest unfound in the world, as far as I could tell. Placed January 6, 2001, in Belize. Never been found.

(Hint: don't give the PQ any home coordinates, just pick "countries" and pick 'em all. I also verified by picking "states/provinces" next and picked THEM all, and it gave me the same results.)

Alot of the ones in Antartica would go alot longer if some people from Germany would stop fake logging them.

Sounds like a fun cache to go after!

The only part that was a downer was this line from the cache description:

"The cashe itself is not much more than a collection of fun trinkets."

I know it's not about the "goodies", but for a cache that takes that much work, I like to reward people with some decent swag.

In any case, the DNF/note from the last searcher was extremely well written.

Kougarok - GC1259, placed 6/23/2001 in Alaska is indeed the oldest in the U.S.

But it looks like Upright Soup - GCADCB, placed 8/6/2002 in California is the oldest unfound in the continental U.S.

Interesting - it's geocaching.com ID is 44491, but there's another cache (GCAB39 - Rivrat's Back Country Cache in Idaho) that was placed 11/12/2002. That cache was logged into the Geocaching.com system earlier with an ID of 43833.

Does anyone know the oldest yet to be found in Oregon or Southern Washington?

This thread is about caches NOT FOUND, but if it was about the oldest caches found - I have found GC12 which was placed by Jerry Connelly 5-12-00. I have also found GC16 6-4-00, and the Unoriginal Stash cache which is GC92 10-22-00. I have also found 7 caches that were placed in 2001. Most of all these caches are still active and can be found in beautiful Oregon, where geocaching began. GC12 and GC16 are both in forests, so they are a real adventure as the trees play havoc with the gps (yes I know I should upgrade).

The wonderful part of caching is the people you get to go on these adventures with, and the great big outdoors to go explore!

Very easy to set up a PQ that will tell you that:

Any Type, Any Container, that 'Have not been found' & 'Is Active', States/Provinces-Oregon.

Submit and then look at the 'preview the search'.

Looks like GCG6YN placed Apr 20, 03 is the oldest unfound cache in Oregon.

Wow that's cool.

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised that this one has gone unfound for so long. While I realize that the waters are probably very rough to navigate and that only the hardiest and most skilled for lack of a better word would probably go for it, it actually (except for being an area with much lower population and thus I guess potential local "extreme cachers" to go for it) doesn't seem much different than this one which has had 5 finders through the years:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b7-1ab6fdeaf117 (don't let the fact that it techinically is within the confines of New York City fool you, mere mortals can't just "go out and find this one" B), the most recent finders were a pair of ex-Navy SEALS or something like that).

I can on the other hand understand the ones mentioned here in Alaska or northern Canada or remote foreign countries like Belize or even the very remote corners of the Western US. I know that here in the northeast, the only areas in terms of remoteness from a town, road, trail, etc. that would require uber-extreme bushwacking and/or say 20 miles of hiking that come anywhere close to some of those western areas might (and I emphasize MIGHT since I'm no expert) be northern Maine, or the Adirondacks (kind of surprised in this sense that NY didn't have any real old unfound caches), or an area that is called the "Pennsylvania Wilds" in the north central part of that state. To give a better idea, whereas many western states have counties with <10,000 inhabitants, even many with <1000 residents, I believe the only counties east of the Mississippi with <10000 people are two in the "PA wilds" and Hamilton County in the Adirondacks (northern Maine doesn't have one because Aroostook Co lumps the wilderness with cities like Caribou and Presque Isle).

What actually surprises me more on some of the caches listed in this forum thread is that someone was able to get there to HIDE the caches to begin with. B)

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

This thread is about caches NOT FOUND, but if it was about the oldest caches found - I have found GC12 which was placed by Jerry Connelly 5-12-00. I have also found GC16 6-4-00, and the Unoriginal Stash cache which is GC92 10-22-00. I have also found 7 caches that were placed in 2001. Most of all these caches are still active and can be found in beautiful Oregon, where geocaching began. GC12 and GC16 are both in forests, so they are a real adventure as the trees play havoc with the gps (yes I know I should upgrade).

The wonderful part of caching is the people you get to go on these adventures with, and the great big outdoors to go explore!

Just to clarify: "yet to be found" means the same as "not found". :laughing:

Just to clarify: "yet to be found" means the same as "not found". :laughing:

Ironically, pdxrose was wrong. According to the title of the thread, it is about caches "yet to be found." :o