Travel Bugs

I usually check thier profile page to see if they are logging in (and for any news on them eg off ill etc) and then check if they have visited caches after taking our TB before contacting them but yes two months is long enough for a prodd.

I have been emailed several times before 7 days have passed to ask when i will be moving a TB on :D

The GC page says 2 weeks is a reasonable time to hold a TB. I tend to prod after a couple of months. Fat lot of good it does me... I wore my pointy stick out with prodding yesterday and I have one TB probably muggled, one in the same hands for a year, one in the same hands for 5 months, another with somebody else for ages... and one picked up by a newbie whose only activity is logging my coin, and no caches. <sigh>

However, I always keep it very friendly and polite. Not everbody caches all the time and some people just have a more casual attitude. If you are rude, there is a chance it could have the opposite to desired effect. I too was emailed several times about a TB that I had had for less than a week until I got fed up and put that person on my email junk list.

Right I'll get my prod ready. The cacher concerned is someone who logs on everyday and is a regular finder so hopefully it should be ok.

The GC page says 2 weeks is a reasonable time to hold a TB. I tend to prod after a couple of months. Fat lot of good it does me... I wore my pointy stick out with prodding yesterday and I have one TB probably muggled, one in the same hands for a year, one in the same hands for 5 months, another with somebody else for ages... and one picked up by a newbie whose only activity is logging my coin, and no caches. <sigh>

However, I always keep it very friendly and polite. Not everbody caches all the time and some people just have a more casual attitude. If you are rude, there is a chance it could have the opposite to desired effect. I too was emailed several times about a TB that I had had for less than a week until I got fed up and put that person on my email junk list.

Two months does justify a reminder, in fact this thread has prompted me to e-mail the owner of a TB we've held on to for too long. This is for various reasons: the owner specifically wants photos taken and we haven't been anywhere interesting with both the TB and the camera, we've had less time to go caching recently, and when we have been caching, we haven't come across a suitable cache in terms of size or perceived muggle-resistance. I would never place a TB in a cache that I thought was likely to be muggled - we've lost a TB in a muggled cache recently and had a near miss with our Geocoin.

I've asked the owner whether they would prefer us to hold onto the TB and add to its mission, or place it in a cache near us in the near future. I've sent similar e-mails twice before - one met with no reply, and the other owners were grateful we'd contacted them.

Two months does justify a reminder, in fact this thread has prompted me to e-mail the owner of a TB we've held on to for too long. This is for various reasons: the owner specifically wants photos taken and we haven't been anywhere interesting with both the TB and the camera, we've had less time to go caching recently, and when we have been caching, we haven't come across a suitable cache in terms of size or perceived muggle-resistance. I would never place a TB in a cache that I thought was likely to be muggled - we've lost a TB in a muggled cache recently and had a near miss with our Geocoin.

I've asked the owner whether they would prefer us to hold onto the TB and add to its mission, or place it in a cache near us in the near future. I've sent similar e-mails twice before - one met with no reply, and the other owners were grateful we'd contacted them.

LOL I'm the same as you..........need pictures and I've lost my camera charger (hopefully being donated one next week tho!), and all we seem to have been doing of late is micros! :D

I’ll offer to sharpen any pointy sticks that people need.

A similar topic came up here recently and one person said they "would however try to place a bug within 6 months of colleting[sic] it if at all possible". Rather oddly, though, I had occasion to visit a cache recently where one of their bugs had been residing for 30 days they’d returned to the cache to move it on. Ha. Gotcha! :o:D

Smarting from a very pointy stick, sorry :blink::laughing:

Hi Silver fox

You have saved me the prod! I can see you held on so you could specifially help with its mission so that's good thanks! :laughing: Also I was very pleased to see it got to the outer hebrides as they are special places to me as thats where my Mrs and I had our honeymoon. In fact I think I have been to that very pub!

Talking of TB's one of mine has been out of action for 9 months. The current holder was no longer logging on to geocaching.com. However I was very pleasently suprised when it got moved only last week.

We picked up a Geocoin a month ago that wanted to go to the US. Since my son was going to Philadelphia I emailed to ask if we should hang on to it. The owners replied that they would rather it got the chance to get over the pond, so we held it.

My son is now in Philadelphia - but his GPSr is playing up and his itinerary is rather tight, so it may end up coming home again. :blink:

There is still another week to go and it would be good to get a US log on the team account. :laughing: