tom tom

I use TomTom Navigator version 5 on a Windows Pocket PC PDA.

You can't put caching co-ords ino it.

The best thing it to download a .loc from the cache pages on here, or preferably a GPX file with 500 caches on it.

Then use GPSBabel (free) to convert it to a TomTom POI.

Make sure it's extension is .ov2 and drop it into the map folder of TomTom (Grea_Britain-Map)

The caches will show up in TomTom with a red square as default, set it to play a sound alert as you get near caches too!

Nice thing about TomTom is you can enter coordinates in formats other than your 'preferred' one.

Unfortunately TomTom only make GPS for car navigation. These units have accuracy of 30' or so. I tried to find caches with mine, but never succeeded.

TomTomONENY2-thumb.jpg

We've got a TomTom ONE and have had decent success with it. There has been only one we haven't been able to find, not sure if it was error on the unit's side or on the operator's side :laughing:

We are able to input coordinates, poi's, favorites and more into it.

It is, however, our first unit, so I really don't know how it compares to others.

We like it, though!

I use TomTom Navigator version 5 on a Windows Pocket PC PDA.

You can't put caching co-ords ino it.

It works, but not on a out-of-the-box installation. A swiss cacher wrote an extension called "TomCoordi" which lets you enter your POIs using coordinates. I use it often.

The webpage and the program is written in german language only, but if you encounter a problem, feel free to send me a mail (shouldn't be necessairy, as the program is easy to use).

I have a TomTom One new model and yes you can. BUT the device is close to unsuitable for geocaching except parking lot. It will stick to the closest road to the coord you inut.

Great unit for car, better than my Garmin 60CX (and may be Garmin car GPS according to EU users) but outside of the car, forget it.

By the way their new non SIRFIII chipset beats the SIRFIII as side by side to the 60CX, it gets a quicker fix and with one or more sattelites.

If you want just one GPS that does it all, still the 60CX is the best and costs about the same.

With using TTN 5 on PPC you can add a 3rd party app called OS GPS Convertor that you can assign to one of your hardware buttons to launch when you need it. It works very well for me. It modifies or creates a TT Itinerary or POI file for you. It also works with Destinator, and Ozi Explorer.

As far as entering caches to TTN, I prefer to use GSAK. It is easier than using straight gpsbabel in my opinion as I can more easily have control over my data via the GUI database filtering options as well as can enter thousands of waypoints into one .ov2 file. Using it this way I am also able to export many .ov2 files at times, depending on the organizational schema I use for breaking caches out. My normal approach is to export a caches.ov2 for all new caches and a found.ov2 for all previous finds, although I have on occasion during vacation trip planning and such created individual .ov2 files for multis, puzzles, earthcaches etc...

Using it with fastest or shortest mode, Suscrofa is correct, it does not do much for you other than get you to parking or the closest roadway location to the cache. Although at times I have used it in Walking/Hiking Bicycle mode to get me closer, but it is not dependable. It works wonders in fastest mode though for cache runs or navigation from cache to cache.

While on the subject, if you check the GSAK forums there are several macros available to help you massaging geodata, one that you may be interested in is the export to TT Itinerary from your current filter. I do not remember the TT Itinerary limit (48 or something odd like that) but you can create more than one and just swap as needed.

Edited by renruts

Ok. I have a Tom Tom One V2. Love it for on road use. Now I want to try caching.

I went out to my first cache today and used the compass function pointing to destination. Gave a general direction but seems hard to use. Never did find the cache. ^_^

I read this tread and downloaded the Off road program from webazar.org. How do I get the files into Tom Tom home? Will this program work in USA units (ie yards, miles)? Once the program is in my Tom Tom how do I access it?

Thanks for your help. I know the recommendation is to get a handheld, but after shelling the bucks for the One I can't do that right now!

I was using a Tom Tom Go car gps today for caching around the local cemetery.

I used the Browse Map feature and then hit Find and chose Latitude Longitude and entered the coordinates. It added a blue mark to the map, and then I drove around until I got near it then used my hand held unit to locate it because driving over the stones is frowned upon up here.

The navigate to feature is almost useless unless the point is just off the road.

It was a lot nicer than stopping and rechecking my handheld every 30 seconds or so to check which way I should head.

Ok. I have a Tom Tom One V2. Love it for on road use. Now I want to try caching.

I went out to my first cache today and used the compass function pointing to destination. Gave a general direction but seems hard to use. Never did find the cache. :D

I read this tread and downloaded the Off road program from webazar.org. How do I get the files into Tom Tom home? Will this program work in USA units (ie yards, miles)? Once the program is in my Tom Tom how do I access it?

Thanks for your help. I know the recommendation is to get a handheld, but after shelling the bucks for the One I can't do that right now!

The Offroad plug ins has in the setup a choice of unit and I can see one that is "imperialistic" , may be it is it ? ^_^

Nothing wrong in using metric in the US you know, it works, I did it and it makes your live easier too :)

http://www.metric4us.com/whynot.html

You have to use a program named OffRoad Navigator from Webazar.org . It's free.

This doesn't work on my PDA,as the OS is Windows Pocket PC. Offroad Navigator only works with Linux.

I tried it, but it didn't work.

heh, you install the OffRoad Navigator on your TomTom. Your TomTom is running Linux.

From the webazar.org website:

Installation

* unzip the downloaded file in the Tomtom Home Content directory,

* launch Tomtom Home,

* select the software and install it.

English language version of Webazar.org

[

You have to use a program named OffRoad Navigator from Webazar.org . It's free.

Offroad v1.6beta 2 has two different modes it can operate in, the "snapped" mode, this is the mode where the coordinates are snapped to the road's on the map, the normal tomtom mode. The most interesting mode is the "real" mode where the coordinates are updated constantly and very little movement is needed for the updating of the coordinates. In this mode the coordinates are the real coordinates and not linked to the nearby road.

When there is no destination loaded in offroad this real mode works ok but when there is a destination loaded from itn, favorite, or coordinate for some reason it seems like it works in "snapped" mode which is nog very suitible for geocaching.

I was wondering if there are other tomtom users using this program for geocaching and have the same problem ?

greetings,

Ab

[When there is no destination loaded in offroad this real mode works ok but when there is a destination loaded from itn, favorite, or coordinate for some reason it seems like it works in "snapped" mode which is nog very suitible for geocaching.]

I had it set to real mode and entered destination from a favorite. Now I know why I couldn't find the cache. The Navigatior was treating it as snapped? ;)

I had it set to real mode and entered destination from a favorite. Now I know why I couldn't find the cache. The Navigatior was treating it as snapped? ;)

That was my conclusion, if you look at the coordinates when there is no destination loaded they are constantly moving but when a destination is loaded the coordinates do hardly move.

It looks like the snapped mode is active.

Ab

That was my conclusion, if you look at the coordinates when there is no destination loaded they are constantly moving but when a destination is loaded the coordinates do hardly move.

It looks like the snapped mode is active.

Ab

Ok after finding four (one is multi at event) here is what I have found...

I use the browse map function to get close or see multies. Then I switch to Off Road Navigator with out marking a point and follow the rolling Lat/Long. Works great. :P

I use the TomTom One exclusively for caching and it works great! I have loaded and use the Off road Navigator, but do not use the "navigate to" or "fav" function. I have not gotten that to work. I just use it as a hand held GPSr when I know I'm close to the cache. The only problem as reported here and every where else is the snap-to function. If you get approximately 75 yard away from the road it works very well. Obviously this can be turned off as it is turned off in the Off Road Navigator software. I just wish they would include that in the off the shelf software. The more I use this device, the more I like it.

I use TomTom Navigator 6.100 on my iPAQ Travel Companion and find that it works just fine for geocaching. There are a couple of things that I'd put on my wish list for the next version that they come out with, but the main wish would be an option to turn off the "road snap" feature.

Users should note that if you walk far enough away from a road while using the "Browse Map" item, the cursor dislodges itself from the road and works like a regular GPS.

My other complaint, and I don't know if this applies to all GPSs, is that you have to walk fairly quickly to get the GPS to update your position (at least, that's the way it is on the TomTom).

Jamie

PS: After reading about the OffRoad Navigator, it sounds like it might be helpful for me, but I don't see any mention on the Web Bazar website that this software works with TomTom Navigator 6.100 for the iPAQ Travel Companion. I'm a little reticent to go ahead and install this on my device. Has anyone tried this?

Edited by Jamie2B

The only problem as reported here and every where else is the snap-to function. If you get approximately 75 yard away from the road it works very well. Obviously this can be turned off as it is turned off in the Off Road Navigator software. I just wish they would include that in the off the shelf software. The more I use this device, the more I like it.

Hey... I have found a workaround for avoiding the snapped mode !

When geocaching in the netherlands I load the map of the canary islands, in that way it wil NEVER snap to any road. It works perfectly, for the last meters to the cache i use a normal magnetic compas, offroad will show the exact heading (the number on the right in the virtual compass of offroad) to use even when standing still and also the distance is accurate.

The only problem as reported here and every where else is the snap-to function. If you get approximately 75 yard away from the road it works very well. Obviously this can be turned off as it is turned off in the Off Road Navigator software. I just wish they would include that in the off the shelf software. The more I use this device, the more I like it.

When geocaching in the netherlands I load the map of the canary islands, in that way it wil NEVER snap to any road. It works perfectly, for the last meters to the cache i use a normal magnetic compas, offroad will show the exact heading (the number on the right in the virtual compass of offroad) to use even when standing still and also the distance is accurate.

I have recently been thinking if I could create a blank map it would be perfect for geocaching. You could use the road navigation to get to the cache and then switch to a blank map for the find. Now I just got to figure out how to create a map.

When geocaching in the Netherlands I load the map of the canary islands, in that way it Will NEVER snap to any road. It works perfectly, for the last meters to the cache i use a normal magnetic compass, offroad will show the exact heading (the number on the right in the virtual compass of offroad) to use even when standing still and also the distance is accurate.

My only choice here (US) is the Guam map and it does not work. When I try to use it, it gives me a coordinates are wrong error or something similar. I think if someone with technical skillzzzz could develop a blank map this problem would be fixed. You could navigate to the cache using the regular map then switch to the blank map for to find the cache. This sounds like it would be a fairly simple fix, but I have no idea how to make this work. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Hi,

I am using an elderly TomTom Go 500, does that work on that too? I somehow did not manage it... If anyone has a StepByStep for blondies, I qould appreciate it.

Love,

Nathalie / Vienna

oldnat@hotmail.com

Problem of snapped mode solved by installing the OffROader from roussillat (tnx), since then the TomTom is OK for any place; nevertheless I do not use it any more for caching as I have a Garmin Vista HCx now :-)

Nat

I used a tom tom one 3rd edition. It allows one to enter coordinates. After getting to the general area (the road) I turned off the navigator function and just used the coordinates available when using the map. Just tap on the connection bars and you can see the coordinates and the battery meter. They are quite small and do not change readily, but they sufficed to find two rural caches. Usually I switch to hand held magellan for the foot found coordinates because they are easier to read.