Finding a cache before it posts?

J-Dog

Hello folks,

My arch nemisis (TazD...who is actually a good friend...but we have a friendly FTF competition going on) has discovered a way to find the name, GC number, and location of caches before they publish.

Does anyone know how he is accomplishing this?

Hello folks,

My arch nemisis (TazD...who is actually a good friend...but we have a friendly FTF competition going on) has discovered a way to find the name, GC number, and location of caches before they publish.

Maybe... it depends on a certain factor, but if I say what that factor is, I'd be opening up a whole can of worms! It could get rather messy. :)

We had this dilemma the other day. We had figured out where an unpublished cache was hidden, (assuming it wasn't a puzzle cache) and we wrestled with ourselves whether to try for it. Ethics won out in the end, though I thought it might be fun to just drop in our sig item without signing the log. :laughing:

Hello folks,

Who did you hear this from, TazD?

hmmm, might just be a tactic to get you worried about some advantage he has. Get you demoralized so you won't try so hard.

It's possible. :D

Ethics won out in the end, though I thought it might be fun to just drop in our sig item without signing the log. :D

Ethics did not come in to play one way or another, it was a choice. If a cache is hidden, find it. Often coords are given by the hider to friends prior to it being published. Magellan ran a contest where the coords were listed on their site prior to here. Many letterbox type hides were listed in letterboxing first. This is simply a listing service.

If you find it, sign the log you have completed the requirements.

Hello folks,

I believe I have a way... under certain circumstances. The owner has to do something quite innocent and I just happen to be doing something related :D . Good luck if you can figure out what I just said. ;) it has nothing to do with them telling me the coords or stalking the owner until he places it . :o

I have never searched for the unpublished caches, but after they were found, I checked the location and found that I was not exact, but probably could have found it if it wasn't a devious hide.

edit for spellin'...

Edited by teald024

Maybe I'm way off base, but what's the point of saying "there's a way" but not saying what the way is? If people can gain an advantage, isn't it more fair if everyone has the ability to gain the advantage? And wouldn't that give Groundspeak some incentive to close the loophole (or glitch or whatever it is)?

Maybe I'm way off base, but what's the point of saying "there's a way" but not saying what the way is?

Going into a grey area now: In my case, I was responding to the question "Can you…". and the answer I found is "sort of".

If people can gain an advantage, isn't it more fair if everyone has the ability to gain the advantage?

To me it is not about fairness or an advantage. This site has specifically chosen to not allow all cachers to see unpublished listings and I respected that choice in my post.

Personally, there are a few reasons I have not used the method I hinted at. Top of the list is that it really isn't part of MY game. If I am FTF great, but I don't scramble to be the first.

And wouldn't that give Groundspeak some incentive to close the loophole (or glitch or whatever it is)?

I just found the loophole by accident one day. If the original poster or Groundspreak NEED to know, then they can PM me.

++How about an example:

The USA and Russia were once in a race to be the first to the moon. They both had the same basic knowledge to begin with and each traded the lead in the race. Eventually, the USA found a way to gain an edge. I suspect they never once thought "Hey guys, lets be a good sport and give away some of our secrets."

Meanwhile, I am like the Germans. I know how to get off the ground, and will tell you if you ask, but don't really need it for myself.

I do accept cash or check (made out to my friend CASH)....

Fair... races are never fair. There is FIRST and all the rest.

++ note: (this is just an fun analogy, don't pick apart every word)

Personally, I don't care how it is done as I am not a FTF fanatic. However, it seems that when people are interested in FTFs, going up against someone who manipulates the site in some way to gain unfair advantage is wrong. Just because someone can cheat, doesn't mean that they should. I was pointing out that by publishing the method, it would put everyone who is interested in FTFs on an even footing.

Personally, I don't care how it is done as I am not a FTF fanatic. However, it seems that when people are interested in FTFs, going up against someone who manipulates the site in some way to gain unfair advantage is wrong. Just because someone can cheat, doesn't mean that they should. I was pointing out that by publishing the method, it would put everyone who is interested in FTFs on an even footing.
No one is cheating and everyone is still on an even footing. The method that is being used is very likely a method that has been metioned in the forums MANY times.

Think about ways that a person might find out about the existence of and the approximate location of a cache, any old traditional cache.

Edited by sbell111

I'm not certain this is what is reffered to here - but if it still works - look for Travel Bugs that are dropped into unpbulished caches.......

Oh no, they figured it out, quick hide… :D

C'mon Starbrand, thanks for ruining my day. I thought I was the only one who knew about this. ;) Not really.

Alright, everyone together now… "Thaaankssss StarrrrBraaannd !!!" ;)

But if it is unpublished, how do you find it? :D:o Don't tell, the man doesn't want them to know... :o

I'm not certain this is what is reffered to here - but if it still works - look for Travel Bugs that are dropped into unpbulished caches.......

Oh no, they figured it out, quick hide… :D

C'mon Starbrand, thanks for ruining my day. I thought I was the only one who knew about this. ;) Not really.

Alright, everyone together now… "Thaaankssss StarrrrBraaannd !!!" ;)

But if it is unpublished, how do you find it? :D:o Don't tell, the man doesn't want them to know... :o

There are other ways to get this info as well, but, to my best knowledge, all the methods have been discussed THOROUGHLY in these forums in the past, and they all require lots of work for very little gain, if any.

Hello folks,

so is that how he does it? i noticed this too :laughing: . always beating me out. hmpf. i'll gang up with you :blink:

Hello folks,

so is that how he does it? i noticed this too :blink: . always beating me out. hmpf. i'll gang up with you :laughing:

Hey, I just discovered the loophole yesterday when I dropped some TB's in a new cache I was putting out. Every once in a while a clever thought pops into my pea brain. :laughing:

The website owners have expressed no interest in closing the loophole. They are working on more important things, like improving site performance and design.

If you are a cache hider who wants to have fun with the travel bug loophole, go ahead and drop three bugs into your unpublished cache. Have them approach from caches that are in three different directions. Make it real easy and precise.

Then, after the bug drops, edit your cache coordinates to take them out of the middle of the swamp, and back to the shopping center parking lot where you actually are hiding the cache. :laughing:

Edited by Keystone
If you are a cache hider who wants to have fun with the travel bug loophole, go ahead and drop three bugs into your unpublished cache. Have them approach from caches that are in three different directions. Make it real easy and precise.

Then, after the bug drops, edit your cache coordinates to take them out of the middle of the swamp, and back to the shopping center parking lot where you actually are hiding the cache. :laughing:

Oh, that's just mean! :blink: I happen to have an unpublished cache waiting for me to complete some stages. I may have to try this! :laughing:

Then, after the bug drops, edit your cache coordinates to take them out of the middle of the swamp, and back to the shopping center parking lot where you actually are hiding the cache. :blink:

Oh, that's just mean! :laughing: I happen to have an unpublished cache waiting for me to complete some stages. I may have to try this! :laughing:

I really like this idea!!! Bwa ha ha! :laughing:

We used to be able to get the preview but they built protection to stop that. Since then, I've been cured to 'FTF Syndrome'. :lol:

FizzyMagic however, did a nice job of finding one of my caches a year before it was approved. (I guess that's the 'Magic' part of his name). :lol:

It could have also been because he was with me when I placed it and he went back a month later - when I should have submitted it. It took me a year to follow through so that's how he pulled that one off. :lol:;)

Ut oh, I didnt know that TazD read these forums. I guess Im busted.

I was letting him assume that I was equally brilliant and had just figured this out on my own. Now he knows my secret. :o

As for it being ethical or unethical. Its a loop hole that Ground Speak has chosen to not address. If some folks figure it out, and want to spend time searching for it, then it seems fine to me. Im just jealous that Taz figured out this trick before me.

I liked the Cold War/Space race example.

j-dog