Calling all clever people

Hi all.

Got me a new phone on the weekend. A Nokia N95. A very clever thing it is, too. :)

As the title says, it has built in GPS and runs on symbian OS. I have been looking over the interweb for programs that can gather cache information off the net (through GPRS/WAP or even the wifi over an access point) and then use the GPS to search for nearby caches, display the information and ultimately guide me to them. :laughing:

Not too much to ask, is it? I mean the technology is all there.

The closes thing I have found is this application, AFTrack.

Now, I don't know a whole lot about this, and I don't want to spend 28 Euros on software unless I know it will do what I'm after.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :laughing:

Thanks in advance.

Hi all.

Got me a new phone on the weekend. A Nokia N95. A very clever thing it is, too. :)

As the title says, it has built in GPS and runs on symbian OS. I have been looking over the interweb for programs that can gather cache information off the net (through GPRS/WAP or even the wifi over an access point) and then use the GPS to search for nearby caches, display the information and ultimately guide me to them. :laughing:

Not too much to ask, is it? I mean the technology is all there.

The closes thing I have found is this application, AFTrack.

Now, I don't know a whole lot about this, and I don't want to spend 28 Euros on software unless I know it will do what I'm after.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :laughing:

Thanks in advance.

Don't know if this will help, but they are big in the US:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/TrimbleOutdoors.aspx

Got the same phone myself and did raise this question the only reply i got was sayign that they too could not find a decent program. In one of my older Nokias i used a bluetooth gpsr and a very simple program which i used to start me of in geocaching but i can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Thanks for the info, chaps.

The application I linked to above won't work with the N95's built in GPSr, the program can only detect bluetooth receivers. I could buy a bluetooth receiver, but that would not make any sense.

I guess I could use the WAP address to put in my current co-ords, then enter them in the phone and use it's built in software. The only problem is the phone's standard software can only take the co-ords in decimal degrees and has not got the arrow/compass screen we all love. That's why I really was after some dedicated software that woould integrate the phone and GPS bits.

I'll keep searching and if I find anything I'll post here for other's information.

There's a free Spot trial here - looks like it works with "integrated GPS that emulate a serial port..."

Might do the job

Thanks for the link. I have the free trial, and it works beautifuly except one thing. It does not recognise the internal GPS. Oh well. I'll keep my eye open...