Trying to enter a new cache but having trouble

mousekakat

SOMEONE with more experience here, help me!! Please!

Here are the coordinates that my gps gave. I'd appreciate any help I could get! I've got a sweet little 7 year old really excited to see this thing up and going and our first visitors! What on earth am I doin' wrong??

picture001jh4.jpg

Thanks in advance! :lol:

Edited to add...

Thanks for the help, it's now fixed, so I removed the other information! It's a learning experience all the way!

Any other tips appreciated, we use a TomTom One :unsure:

Edited by mousekakat

Ok, so maybe I AM a dummy, lol!

We just recently got the GPS unit, apparently we have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the help, I got it updated finally, after a couple of hours of frustration!

Anyone wanna come to Sweden and make my little girl's day and look for "her" cache?

Ok, so maybe I AM a dummy, lol!

We just recently got the GPS unit, apparently we have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the help, I got it updated finally, after a couple of hours of frustration!

Anyone wanna come to Sweden and make my little girl's day and look for "her" cache?

You're welcome

As has already been mentioned, you are trying to enter Degrees and split up portions of Decimal Degrees into boxes expecting Degrees, Minutes, and Decimal Minutes. So for the longitude you are trying enter 82 Minutes (and there are only 60 Minutes in a Degree. 82 is just too many). It didn't catch your error on Latitude because you were only entering 17. Think of it like you are filling out a time form as 16 Hours and 82 Minutes. Wouldn't make much sense would it. You can convert by multiplying .82534 Degrees times 60 = 49.5204 Minutes (rounds to 3 decimal places as 49.520). Now your time example would be 16 Hours 49.520 Minutes. Same time but represented differently. Note: .17143 Degrees = 10.2858 Minutes (round to 10.286).

You can change your GPS to display whatever format you want. I am amazed you were able to find any Geocaches at all given the difference between the Cache Page and your GPS display. You must have downloaded .loc files and sent them to the GPS, and just got lucky on the format conversion.