Favorite Caches / Least Favorite Caches

Just curious as to what caches you like to hunt??? :unsure:

My personal preference are ones that take me into nature and help me to explore areas that I didn't even know were there, it's amazing what can be in your backyard and you not even know it! I love the woods and hills and hiking and getting a great workout, to be honest it doesn't really bother me (yet) if I get a DNF.

My least favorites are urban caches, especially those dang micros! I like to see the swag, even if I just TNLNSL! ;) Plus, I feel kind of weird digging in a lowerbed in fron of the local grocery store... :lol:

What's everyone else think?

Tim

Hopefully your thread doesn't turn into a "bashing thread."

I'm with you, I prefer any cache where you have to "leave the pavement." My favorite type of caches requires a backpack, and a good pair of boots. I love the outdoors, and caches that take me to remote places. I'm at the point where i'd rather not find caches, and do something else, rather than look for crappy caches in crappy locations.

My favorite caches are bookmarked.

Kit Fox's Top 5%

Just curious as to what caches you like to hunt??? :unsure: ...

What's everyone else think?

Tim

It depends. Sometimes, I am in the mood for a nice hike leading to a pile of sticks. Other times, it's fun to hit a big string of easy peasey micros.

Generally, I'm not that fond of puzzles.

I know there's a lot of discussion :unsure: on micros vs larger containers.

I'm in the real estate school of caches......

location, location, location :lol:

What ever the size of the container, whether woods or urban, make it an interesting location.

Jim

I am with most of you off the pavement into the woods I do however like trails I am losing my tendency to bushwack after the last couple of off road trips.

I hate micros in the woods just too many places to hide it, I will look for a little while and just hope the hike was good. Small is okay though as long as it has some room for swag. In my mind anything in the woods should take swag.

I did my first LPS Saturday, I refuse to go for them just to get my numbers up, because I did know it was one before I got there but it was someplace I had been wanting to go for a year or two anyway so it was not too bad. I don't even go for very many P&G.

Am in agreement with just about most of what was mentioned above.

Has anyone come across a decent rating system...I know, many will squalk, cry bloody murder at having there cache rated poorly....urban in a crummy location nano container stuff..!!!! etc etc....a MICHELIN guide of sorts?

Perhaps just invent my own " secret" code..???

Zurch.

Woe to they that should ask a question that has been asked before in this forum.

I like caches that are clever but not over the top difficult.

I also like caches that I can open - recently I have found two that had tops that I couldn't unscrew to sign the logs.

I like caches at obscure little parks and memorials that I might not otherwise see. To me finding a cache is nice but I like it because I get to see new places and learn new things.

Edited by Spyinak

Has anyone come across a decent rating system...I know, many will squalk, cry bloody murder at having there cache rated poorly....urban in a crummy location nano container stuff..!!!! etc etc....a MICHELIN guide of sorts?

Zurch.

I think most caches that show up on must-do bookmarks are pretty decent. Generally, the longer the average log the better the cache. There is a macro for GSAK which orders caches by average log length.

Zurch.

I think most caches that show up on must-do bookmarks are pretty decent. Generally, the longer the average log the better the cache. There is a macro for GSAK which orders caches by average log length.

Now, that's a nice tool Where can I get my hands on that?

Every time I think I have this question nailed I'll find a cache that I like that meets the "do not like" rules, or I'll find a cache that I don't like that meets the "like" rules. The only rule that seems to work consistently, though, is this:

I will like it if the owner put at least as much effort into hiding it as I put into finding it.

I will hate it if I put a lot more effort into finding it than the owner put into hiding it.

It's a vague concept, but it sums up the matter for me.

My favorite caches take me somewhere quirky I wouldn't have gone otherwise; historical places interest me as well; often good virtuals take me those kinds of places. I teach science in a high school, so naturally, I love EarthCaches. I am also fond of very clever hides, unique containers, and funny hides made by those with a warped sense of humor. Micros often provide all those kinds of entertainment.

My least favorite caches are long multis and obscure puzzles. I rarely do anything above a two-stage multi while traveling; I won't start one that doesn't say how many stages I'll have to hunt. I'm not good at some types of puzzles, and I dislike the ones that require advanced computer tech skills to solve.

Edited by Neos2

My favorite caches take me somewhere quirky I wouldn't have gone otherwise; historical places interest me as well; often good virtuals take me those kinds of places. I teach science in a high school, so naturally, I love EarthCaches. I am also fond of very clever hides, unique containers, and funny hides made by those with a warped sense of humor. Micros often provide all thoses kinds of entertainment.

My least favorite caches are long multis and obscure puzzles. I rarely do anything above a two-stage multi while traveling; I won't start one that doesn't say how many stages I'll have to hunt. I'm not good at some types of puzzles, and I dislike the ones that require advanced computer tech skills to solve.

Neos2 summed up many of my favorites. Not big into the puzzle thing, however.

On the subject of multis, I feel the same way with one exception. I really like to go to a new place and find a multi that takes me around (preferably walking) and teaches me something about that place. I've even learned a lot about the local area because someone took the effort to do the research and bring a place to life for us all.

I hate micro caches placed in enourmous hedgerows. While not a great place for a cache to begin with, how about placing an ammo can or something of the sort? Sticking my head in and out of a bush in a busy parking lot for 30 minutes isn't fun. :D

I like caches that are rated appropriately, are well constructed, have a useful hint, and most importantly have some relevance.

Personally, I like the ones that take me to see cool things I wouldn't have known were there or that have an interesting story to tell, and of course, hikes. I love multis, but with three kids, we mainly look for regular caches to swap swag.

I was deployed to Iraq earlier this year, there were some really imaginative placement of caches there. My favorite is called Hero's Cache, it is in Baghdad at the site of the battle where the first Global War on Terror Medal of Honor winner earned his medal. It is a special place, for all time.

kevnjenn

I like the ones where the hider put a lot of effort into the hide. Most of the ones I've done have had a pretty cheesy hide. I've done a few, however, that were very well done. Believe it or not, the cache (or at least one stage of that cache) had a clever micro.

I don't mind micros in the woods per se (especially larger ones...film can size or so), but the bison tube in a huge bush thing really sucks.

I have only found one cache that had a 'cool' container. It was inside a bird house that had a false bottom, and the cache container was in the false bottom.

I am currently working on a cache placement and I want to make it a quality one. I have a few ideas I'm tossing around, but I haven't received permission yet, so I'm not really solid on anything at the moment (because I may have to find a new location).