How much would you pay?

I don't use the PQ that often, I don't do paperless caching but I still subscribe because I do use them once in a while and I don't want to miss out on premium members only caches. Also, I use the map feature a lot.

Our cable bill is $38.47 per month, and I like geocaching a whole heck of a lot more than I like watching television, so I feel that at $30 per year it's a bargain. I'd start grumbling if it went above $50 for the premium membership, but we get an AWFUL lot of fun, education, and exercise for that thirty bucks!

I think the price is pretty darn cheap for the PQ's as well as member's only caches.

I know it's a mentality thing but I do the $3.00 per month as opposed to $30.00/yr. seems cheaper to me although I know over the course of a year it's another $6.00.

One of the main reasons I do it is (gotta be honest with myself) that my hobbies are usually temporary. I really get into something and buy all the gear and enjoy it for 3-6 months and sell it all on eBay for half what I paid! :unsure:

I guess only time will tell...

Tim

Where's the Beating a dead horse emoticon? :unsure: For me the thirty bucks is worth the PQ's. Depending on where I am going in a particular week I change the waypoints at least twice a week.

The "Members Only" caches in our area are few and far between. Paying for a premium membership does not justify getting it for those caches when there are more interesting and creative caches out in the wild...........Maybe I'm from a different mindset but thirty bucks is Cheap. I've spent a whole lot more money and had a lot less fun. Even one trip to the movies with your honey will set ya back 30.00.

.... Anyway. I was wondering if perhaps more people would join if the cost were less - say $20 or $15.

Duh.... yeah, they would, I suppose, just as I'd buy a Hummer to drive if they cost less! I think I'll write to them and tell them they should sell their trucks for $20k, or $15k would be better.

Reckon they have one that I can drive for free except for when I go to the mall?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I think that the membership is priced about right. If they lowered it, they -might- have more people sign up, but probably not enough to make up for the lost income. If they raised it, they would certainly lose some members and probably would see the overall funds generated decrease.

Well I finally went and did it I became a premium member. I have been a member since 11/04 and I had an epiphany and decided I would part with 30 precious dollars.

I have always thought of this “thing” as just another passing fancy. I told myself that if I was still into this “thing” in a year that I would become a PM – well that came and went. I had this vision of being the most active NPM so I pushed on.

I have had some personal issues so to say and have always been hesitant to give when I can get it for well free.

Nobody has ever questioned my membership; nobody ever asked me why, does anyone care – well I do.

I had taken several steps to become a PM before this but never went completed the deed. Last week the thoughts crept into my mind again – stronger this time. I had this urge to use my credit card but I suppressed the urge but it came on stronger this time.

I printed the address to the subscription page, got an envelope and the checkbook – OMG the checkbook was I really going to do this. I label the envelope carefully printing the address, I then carefully add my return address – OMG my hands are starting to shake, I can’t believe that I’ve made it this far. Ok, lets now type a nice formal letter, crap I have to pee, lets think about this – ok. Well I make it back safe and sound, I open the check book and fill out the check – I can tear this up – no it’s ok you can do this, alright. Check in hand I carefully fold the formal letter requesting to be upgraded to PM status and insert the check into the letter – my hands continue to shake and tremble. Ok it’s in – that was tough, I can still tear this up – don’t you’ve made it this far. Now it’s time for the stamp and trip to the post office. Lets sleep on this and I’ll do it tomorrow.

I wake from a restless night’s sleep and there it is the subscription letter taunting me, I think it’s now or never – lets go.

There is a mailbox on the way to school, give the boy the letter and tell him to drop it in the box for me – I can’t do it. The deed is done, the letter is in the box, will it get there, will someone read it, and will my check bounce – NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well to make a long rambling story short I am a natural born cheapskate – I can make pennies cry. My check cleared I got my PM and I am as giddy as a schoolboy with a new crush. All these new and hidden things to explore, touch play with, caress and love. I am now glad that I have done my part to support the site. Proud Premium Member since 11/14/06.

I glad to finally get this off my chest – come and confess your sins.

My first "off topic" post after I became a supporting member :unsure: As for how much I would pay well........

It's all in our priorities i suppose...

I'm always amazed at how there are people out there who won't bat an eye to pay $7+ to see a movie that maybe lasts two hours, $3+ for a pack of cigs that last maybe a day, $5+ eating out (fast food) which is good for about 30 minutes, $5+ for a 6 pack of beer that lasts an evening, $40+ for a month of cell service, etc, etc,,,, but then think that $30 for an entire year is too steep!

me first with the popcorn

:unsure::lol::D

I'm not sure this is a ;) worthy thread yet. Determining the price point for a premium membership is not easy. The cost to Geocaching.com for the premium membership is a whole lot less than $30 per year when divided by the current number of premium members. So if lowering the price would result in a significant number of new members perhaps there is a benefit to Geocaching.com in reducing the price. On the other hand, many current premium members have indicated that they get more than $30 worth of benefit from their membership. So perhaps Geocaching.com should raise the fee to maximize their income. (Of course current members will always be locked in at the current rate as long as you continue to renew.)

I guess I could add that I'm in a place where having a premium membership has done nothing for me except allow access to OT and create bookmarks.I frequent OT alot,so it's really has been worth the thirty dollars if I can't get in any caching,and I made a bookmark of the local caches to keep track of them,so it's worth it to me.I'm by far not a rich man,but I don't think 30 dollars is very much at all for this hobby/game/sport.

me first with the popcorn

:D:lol:;)

I'm not sure this is a :unsure: worthy thread yet. Determining the price point for a premium membership is not easy. The cost to Geocaching.com for the premium membership is a whole lot less than $30 per year when divided by the current number of premium members. So if lowering the price would result in a significant number of new members perhaps there is a benefit to Geocaching.com in reducing the price. On the other hand, many current premium members have indicated that they get more than $30 worth of benefit from their membership. So perhaps Geocaching.com should raise the fee to maximize their income. (Of course current members will always be locked in at the current rate as long as you continue to renew.)

But I do wonder why

he went there so early. :D

I like that this site is available to people who, for whatever reason, cannot really afford the price of membership. However, the number of users who cannot pay is most likely very small.

I suspect most who do not become members, could. If you could afford the $30 a year, but think it is too much, you are being cheap. There are other, legitimate reasons not to pay for a membership. However, if you use the site, thinking it is too much money is not one of them.

interestingly, not a single non-PM has chimed in on this yet.

As for me, $30/year is a bargain for the fun I have doing this and I'm happy to give it a bit of financial support. The PQs are nice too. :unsure:

Besides, $30 as stated repeatedly above is a drop int he hat compared to the other expenses associated with this game. Hell, I'll drop more than that on lunch this week. :lol:

Anyway, it's not the least bit difficult to play without paying for a PM. But if $30 for a year is really an issue in terms of expense (which some have said in the past regarding this), they're really getting into the wrong hobby.

But if $30 for a year is really an issue in terms of expense (which some have said in the past regarding this), they're really getting into the wrong hobby.

How about a 14 year old student, who caches with a GPS he borrows from an older brother. His parent are not into the game and can't or won't help pay for membership? (Cacher I met once) That's just one example, there are other reasons someone may be getting into this hobby, and the cost is a little hard to afford.

When I saw this come up I read it as: What price point would it take for Non-Premium members to decide to pay for a Premium Membership? I think most of us already paying see the value of our investment. But it seems many casual users might not even see the benefit for them to pay $10.

The price was set more than 5 years ago and has never increased. It won't be long till the cost will be less than $25 adjusted for inflation compared to 2002 dollars. Every day the price is not increased, the cost is actually getting lower. So the question is not how low must the price go to attract new members. The question is how long can Groundspeak hold to $30 for new members (while still adding new features).

And if you don't see the benefit of a Premium Membership now, it would be hard to imagine what "membership perk" would put users over the top and convince them to pay.

How about a 14 year old student, who caches with a GPS he borrows from an older brother. His parent are not into the game and can't or won't help pay for membership?

I'm gonna have to declare "Shenanigans" on this theory. It's just a matter of wanting to earn money more than wanting to sit in front of a video game all day. If we were talking several thousand dollars, I might accept that a 14 year old may have trouble raising that amount, (I didn't at that age), but to claim that someone who is healthy enough to wander from cache to cache, can't raise $30 a year simply doesn't hold water.

Where's the Beating a dead horse emoticon? ...

It's a fair question. Every business has to figure out the price that's going to do them the best job. For GC.com maybe those few who do pay, would be 50 and few if any would balk. Or maybe they triple the number of members if they halve the price.

A couple of years ago I ran a couple of numbers (not as accurate as GC.com could run) and if everbody paid it would be dirt cheap. Like driving a moped on your pocket change.

... I'd buy a Hummer to drive if they cost less! I think I'll write to them and tell them they should sell their trucks for $20k, or $15k would be better.

Reckon they have one that I can drive for free except for when I go to the mall?

I hear you can sign up for free Hummer Rides at the mall. Well...maybe you would have to settle for the HumVee variety...

Well, I didn't realize that my post was here for the amusement of the premium members.

I posted this because I saw that geocaching.com was looking for a way to raise money.

First I thought - well, why don't they just charge anyone who wants to use the site?

My second thought was - what would people be willing to pay to use the site? You don't want to drive newbies away(hmm, from some of the responses I wonder) but perhaps the first 6 months could be free and then everyone would be charged say $10/yr to continue to use the site.

I don't feel I would gain any benefit from a premium membership thus I haven't signed up but if I had to pay to be able to access any cache info. - I would . And before you tell me about the bargain I have to wonder how many of you download music for free.

So, if there are any non paying members who don't see my question as a popcorn session I would love to hear your answer.

My thanks to those who answered without the attitude. I don't feel my question was gormless. Perhaps this forum should only be for Premium members.

I have been balking at paying for a premium membership.

$0.08 / day... I don't think anymore needs to be said. What exactly are you balking at? If you don't want to pay $0.08 / day, then I don't think there is anything anyone could do to entice you to become a member.

That was kind of my point- I get all of those benefits WITHOUT paying.

If you could get cable t.v. minus the channels you don't want for free - would you still pay?

I think you've actually summed up basic membership quite nicely.

You can watch TV just fine without cable, but if you want to watch the movie channels they cost extra. You don't have to have them if you don't want them or don't care about them though.

Now if you're like me and don't care about regular TV, then you are forced to deal with the harsh reality that the good stuff isn't free no matter how much I'd like it to be. :)

The site as it works right now seems to do that very well. You can play without paying, but if you are willing to cough up some green to help support he site and it's operating costs, they give you a few added goodies. If you don't want the goodies, you don't have to avail yourself of them.

At the current $3/mo or $30/year (which I find pretty cheap) I'm not sure lowering the price would really intice more PM's, if such a low cost is already cause for them to balk at it. I guess my point is, from my perspective, the cost is already so low that I can't see lowering it $1/mo is going to change many minds.

But if $30 for a year is really an issue in terms of expense (which some have said in the past regarding this), they're really getting into the wrong hobby.

How about a 14 year old student, who caches with a GPS he borrows from an older brother. His parent are not into the game and can't or won't help pay for membership? (Cacher I met once) That's just one example, there are other reasons someone may be getting into this hobby, and the cost is a little hard to afford.

Given his caching options which seem to be very restircted, it doesn't seem a PM would serve him very well at all except for the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting geocaching.com.

Seems his bigger problem is one of circumstance. Good for him for trying though.

It would be nice they mailed you a cheap swag package with your membership, so you feel like you're getting something you can put your hands on for your money. Something like a membership card, cheap plastic geocoin, nothing fancy just a trinket or two...

Just a thought, it wouldn't cost all that much to mail, or for the actual costs...

I don't really use the Premium features much (especially since the one I would use is only for Garmin users). I coughed up, just because it seemed like the right thing to do, if I was going to be on the site a lot.

That was kind of my point- I get all of those benefits WITHOUT paying.

If you could get cable t.v. minus the channels you don't want for free - would you still pay?

I'm sure there are many out there who become premium members mainly because they enjoy the hobby and want to give back in some way. But i would guess that most who pay do it for the extra benefits. I do know that it costs to run this site and i want to do my share to help, but being able to run a pocket query is probably the bigger reason that i pay.

I wouldn't feel too bad if i didn't want to use the extra services and then not pay, especially since GC.com has always stated that the basic services would be free. Only thing is, even though advertising and merchandise sales do help pay the bills, i wouldn't think that the site would run as well if none of it's users paid.

I'm not a premium member anymore because my caching has significantly decreased, but I was a premium member for two years and it definitely was worth the 30 dollars. You get a lot more features to the site and they really helped me get organized, plus you get to beta test some features which is nice.

Well, I didn't realize that my post was here for the amusement of the premium members.

I posted this because I saw that geocaching.com was looking for a way to raise money.

First I thought - well, why don't they just charge anyone who wants to use the site?

They made a pledge in the beginning that Geocaching would never be "pay to play."

I don't feel I would gain any benefit from a premium membership thus I haven't signed up but if I had to pay to be able to access any cache info. - I would . And before you tell me about the bargain I have to wonder how many of you download music for free.

Comparing Premium Members to people who steal music is BS. :)

In the beginning, I didn't utilize Pocket Queries, and they didn't have Instant Cache Notification, Bookmark Lists, or even an Ignore List. The only benefit that I derived from "paying up" was "zoomable maps" and knowing I was a supporter of a great activity. Knowing that I supported Groundspeak was good enough for me.

I have been wanting to become a premium member for quite a while, but it's something I promised as a reward to myself after I get a job. I started geocaching about a year ago, and recently finished my degree. I've been taking some time off to enjoy the summer a bit, and don't feel I can justify the $30+ dollars it would cost me (Canadian here). I would consider paying $3 a month, but it seems like a waste to pay monthly fees for converting $3 US to Canadian funds whenever my credit card is charged.

I probably would already be a premium member if it was $10 or $15 US, but probably would be right where I am even at $20/year.

I'll get there sometime. I'm fairly satisfied with my current options. What I am looking forward to from a premium membership is the ability to bookmark, and to go to premium member caches (I'm running out of caches close to home!).

One non-premium member's opinion...

My second thought was - what would people be willing to pay to use the site? You don't want to drive newbies away(hmm, from some of the responses I wonder) but perhaps the first 6 months could be free and then everyone would be charged say $10/yr to continue to use the site.

So, if there are any non paying members who don't see my question as a popcorn session I would love to hear your answer.

My thanks to those who answered without the attitude. I don't feel my question was gormless. Perhaps this forum should only be for Premium members.

Ya know what's annoying Spy-person?

I'll tell ya. Shall I?

It's really annoying to click on a thread and find the OP completely changed. This useless thread should be locked. :)