Wiring a cache in place... what to use?

I have a cache that uses a decon container held in place by a nylon cord. Unfortunately, the nylon cord has proven to be less than reliable on multiple occasions (animuggles might be chewing it). Fishing line is out, too easy to chew through. I'm thinking of replacing the cord with wire of some sort, but I'm not sure what the best wire is to use. It would have to be weather proof and not easily seen. GI Trip wire is something that I'm considering, but I don't know if it would rust through. Anyone have experience with that? Or another type of wire that's tough to see and suitable for holding a cache in place in all sorts of weather?

Assuming they still use the same stuff, GI tripwire has a pretty high carbon count, which will lead to it rusting fairly kwick. It's been a couple decades since my Army days, so things may have changed. I've noticed that my parachord tethers are also getting gnawed on. My replacement of choice is the thinnest chain I could find at my local hardware store. It looks light enough that I could pull it apart. After I secure it to a tree, (or whatever), and the cache, I wrap it in cheap camo duct tape. The tape is not all that sturdy, but as it degrades, it actually adds to the camo effect.

One of my multis involves a bunch of quarter sized aluminum disks stamped with letters/number, hung from branches of trees. I used green gardening wire to hang them. They've lasted over a year. I wouldn't hang anything heavier with it, though.

I like Clan Riffster's chain and camo tape idea. I think anything plastic or nylon will get chewed up by the native furry-tailed rodents. I've also confirmed that GI tripwire will rust -- no good there. A thin cable like a bicycle brake cable might work too... something about that thickness that's tough to see but strong enough to resist the squirrels, mice, and other paracord-chomping creatures that inhabit the area.

Zip ties are a lot tougher than I give them credit for. I found myself in a rush to set up a 4 stage multi, using bison tubes giving clues to the final, an ammo can. I had some zip ties handy, and used them to attach the bison tubes loosely to branches, thinking that I would replace them with something tougher in a week or so. It's been over a year, and they are still fine. Good stuff! :D

Steel leader is good. Coated steel cable from the hardware store is good. Buy a swagging tool.

If you're going to use cable ties make sure you get the ones that say right on the package UV safe. Otherwise they go brittle in very short order and break.

EDIT TO ADD: depending on your situation, standard single strand grounding wire might work. It's pretty stiff, designed to go outside, and a hit or two of flat Krylon should make it hide in shadows.

Edited by CoyoteRed

Steel leader is good. Coated steel cable from the hardware store is good. Buy a swagging tool.

What he said. If you cant find at the hardware store you can find it where they sell garage door accessories at the hardware store. They come in plastic baggies to repair garage doors.

No need to buy the swagging tool. Just use saddle clamps. The tool works better, but the clamps are cheaper if you just need it for a few.