Best Place to Buy Lock-n-Locks

celestialmom

I'm preparing a puzzle series with several different caches that will only include logbooks and a pieces to a puzzle. I'd like to use lock-n-locks and haven't found a great place to buy them just by googling. I'm probably looking for something 3x5 or 4x6--any suggestions for best deals?

Also, I just received several ammo cans that I am preparing to hide (replacing rubbermaid containers). They are quite greasy--is just a strong detergent good enough to get the oil off so they can be painted? Thanks.

Targets in the Rochester area have a variety of shapes and sizes of the Lock-n-Lock containers. Also, if you have a Super JoAnn Fabrics, I know they have some interesting and study storage options (I work there) that you might want to check out. I was stocking the notions/storage/organizer department today and while straightening up I picked up some containers and thought to myself that they might make a nice cache container. I'm sure you can get them online on Amazon or something too. Just google it.

http://www.heritagemint.com/jump.jsp?itemI...CFQ0lHgodixHsgw

http://organize.com/lolofostco.html

http://starfrit.com/Products/kitchen/Conta...aspx?sc_lang=en

well, those were on the 1st couple pages I googled.

Just mix & match the way you spell Lock & lock...

Also, as to the grease on the ammo cans, you can try Soft Scrub Gel, or go to NAPA or any automotive store and get Goop hand cleaner. There are other brands that are the same type of stuff. Make sure you get the smooth stuff, WITHOUT pumice. I only mention that because the ones with pumice are rough on your hands, and will dig up your skin.

Get a nylon cleaning brush, with semi-stiff bristles to use with it. Should do the trick.

Good Luck.

PS- I always love going down into Potter County and environs to cache. Hope to do more down there in the future. Have you ever come up to NY for the Letchworth Fall Gatherings?

Edited by Blue_stone

http://www.heritagemint.com/jump.jsp?itemI...CFQ0lHgodixHsgw

http://organize.com/lolofostco.html

http://starfrit.com/Products/kitchen/Conta...aspx?sc_lang=en

well, those were on the 1st couple pages I googled.

Just mix & match the way you spell Lock & lock...

Also, as to the grease on the ammo cans, you can try Soft Scrub Gel, or go to NAPA or any automotive store and get Goop hand cleaner. There are other brands that are the same type of stuff. Make sure you get the smooth stuff, WITHOUT pumice. I only mention that because the ones with pumice are rough on your hands, and will dig up your skin.

Get a nylon cleaning brush, with semi-stiff bristles to use with it. Should do the trick.

Good Luck.

PS- I always love going down into Potter County and environs to cache. Hope to do more down there in the future. Have you ever come up to NY for the Letchworth Fall Gatherings?

Thanks for your input...when I googled last time (a few weeks ago), I could only find mixed-sized sets. I'll check out these links tomorrow.

As for Letchworth, that's on my list to research. I went to the ASP Geobash II in May and had a blast! Next time you're in the area, check out some of our new caches! (I just placed a few, and Olf D'Coors is working on some as well.)

I'm preparing a puzzle series with several different caches that will only include logbooks and a pieces to a puzzle. I'd like to use lock-n-locks and haven't found a great place to buy them just by googling. I'm probably looking for something 3x5 or 4x6--any suggestions for best deals?

Also, I just received several ammo cans that I am preparing to hide (replacing rubbermaid containers). They are quite greasy--is just a strong detergent good enough to get the oil off so they can be painted? Thanks.

i got mine from K-mart never seen at walmart also try linens &things

You can put your ammo cans in the dishwasher for and "easy" way to clean them

I've put just the box in, removing the lid with its gasket. It does work well. I'm a tad concerned about the lid though - the dishwasher detergent is pretty heavy duty stuff, and those gaskets are already a few years old.

Groundspeak is selling a lock and lock container with a geocaching sticker embedded in the lid and Heritage Mint has the best prices on sets, assuming you buy several to off set the shipping.

Avoid the Dollar Tree Lock 'n Locks. They do not have weatherproofing gaskets. No wonder they are only a dollar each.

They are either lock n locks or they aren't. Are they?

Kroger's has lock n locks that aren't that brand, but look and perform the same for me

I use acetone (in a can from Home Depot paint section) on ammo cans. It takes off the yellow lettering almost instantly, but leaves the green paint. Green paint gets a little dulled from the acetone but now takes camo paint really well. Be aware that acetone is very flamable. And gives a buzz in confined areas....

For loc-n-locs I've been experimenting with Krylon camo paint and Krylon plastic paint. I mask off the center of the lid and spray the whole closed container. Remove the masking tape and use clear tape to attach your cache labeling on the INSIDE of the lid so that it shows through the area you masked off. Label is readable from outside and nicely protected.

:laughing::laughing::blink: Boy, am I mad!!! :D:blink::laughing:

I just drove over an hour to Wal-Mart to get the 4 lock and lock containers I need for this puzzle cache, but when I looked on the shelf, they were out of stock except for ONE!!! So after checking out the other containers, I decided (with reservations) to get some Rubbermaid "Flex and Seal" containers. They do have a rubber seal instead of plastic, but I have a feeling I'll need to go back next week to get the real thing. Does anyone have any experience with these? (I've got mine submerged in a bowl of water overnight--we'll see how that works out.)

BTW, thanks everyone for the good pointers. I'm using most of them in one way or another!

It occurs to me that perhaps it's also not 'really' the Dollar Store, perhaps I saw them in the Dollar Tree or the Family Dollar. Whichever one is the one that truly sells only things for a Dollar. I think that The dollar Store has things from $2 and $5 and even $20, what a misnomenr in their name.

I also always put 1 of those anti-moisture things you get in packing materials in my caches, so if a little moisture gets in it helps. Sometimes even as tight as a container is, people cache on rainy, snowy days. You could also glue gun it to the base so no one thinks it's swag. Just an idea..

Target & Walmart carry Lock-n-Locks.

You can put your ammo cans in the dishwasher for and "easy" way to clean them. Works great.

I stopped at the local walmart last night and they did not have any lock 'n locks. Going to try Target tonight I think.