GeoCashing along the TransCanada Trail

canadarideforclimate

Biking across canada.. and GPSing along the way... When i'm done i'll be writing a book, and a detailed daily map book of just the route and all the points of interest. .. and including the map file as a download which is user centric tied in with google earth.

I'm wondering if anyone has already started to hide geocash along the trail?

Thanks

Sam

www.canadarideforclimate.com

Thanks (sorry for the delay in reply)

This will give me a reason to go back to Princeton, BC. ... I also forgot to turn my GPS on when cycling to Thirsk Lake. ... So theres that gap of about 20kms missing on my full route.

Looks like its close to the TCT Pavilian, and Mr. Sub ... that stretch of paved trail then turns to gravel. .. Road bike friendly? I dont think so.

Ill go ahead and find a few to see how this works.

Im thinking that Hiding GeoCash at EVERY TCT pavilion across canada.. and EVERY intersection where the user would be confused at where togo. .. would perhaps make the TCT easier to follow all the way across the country.???

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Sam (still a newbie with this)

Hello

First let me ask, Isn't it called geocaching?

I tried that idea in 2003 Forum discussion and it didn't get very far..

I have a couple of caches with TCT to identify them

TCT Silver will get you Red and

TCT Twin as the Bridges

I think it would be nice to have

Im thinking that Hiding GeoCash at EVERY TCT pavilion across canada.. and EVERY intersection where the user would be confused at where togo. .. would perhaps make the TCT easier to follow all the way across the country.???

ambitious! I doubt reviewers would ever let you publish thousands of caches across the country.. especially with 0 finds. You realize canada is a big place.. right? :laughing:

Why not place a few caches in AMAZING spots along the TCT that actually bring people out the the trail to experience how great it is. When placing a cache, aim to make a finder give you a sincere "THANK YOU!!" as opposed to a "quick drive by". Quality over quantity!! :lol:

Maybe Waymarking.com would be a better place to put TCT-Goto's

Edited: first rendition sounded pretty harsh in retrospect...

Edited by Juicepig

ambitious! I doubt reviewers would ever let you publish thousands of caches across the country.. especially with 0 finds. You realize canada is a big place.. right? :)

Why not place a few caches in AMAZING spots along the TCT that actually bring people out the the trail to experience how great it is. When placing a cache, aim to make a finder give you a sincere "THANK YOU!!" as opposed to a "quick drive by". Quality over quantity!! :)

Maybe Waymarking.com would be a better place to put TCT-Goto's

Edited: first rendition sounded pretty harsh in retrospect...

If there are infact TCT pavillions that dot the TCT then they would make a great Waymarking Category like JuicePig suggested. There is no issue with being too far away from them in Waymarking. All you'd need is a Category created or you could add them to this Category that already exists Long Distance Hiking Trails or to see all Categories related to Trails try this link Waymarking Search for TRAILS

But I think that a separate Category would be better and more useful for others.

Okay, taking off the Waymarking hat now. :D

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Sam (still a newbie with this)

Sam, one of the requirements for getting a cache approved is showing the ability to maintain it. This is more than just stuffing a film container into a bush along a fence, you need to be able to get by there to occasionally dry it out, repair the camo or replace the container when needed, replace the log sheet when it gets full or wet. If a cache is not on a route you use often, or near where you live, the odds are very high that it would quickly become GEOLITTER!.

Although I applaud your enthusiasm, please don't start tossing caches out because you can. Better to see which ones are out there already, take notes of those who have caches near great locations you find, and see if one of the locals would be interested in filling the location. Perhaps there was a cache there at one time, but it kept getting removed for some reason.

You are mentioning cycling the route. Wouldn't you rather use the space to carry food or supplies rather than a bunch of micros?

Biking across canada.. and GPSing along the way... When i'm done i'll be writing a book, and a detailed daily map book of just the route and all the points of interest. .. and including the map file as a download which is user centric tied in with google earth.

I'm wondering if anyone has already started to hide geocash along the trail?

Thanks

Sam

www.canadarideforclimate.com

Hey all, thanks so much for the comments.

1st off, im not planning on Geolittering. .. so Thats a good point, thanks.

I discovered POI Loader, along with www.gps-data-team.com and www.gps-waypoints.net and now www.Waymarking.com :laughing:

So having the points of interest all along the route, showing where the Bike Shops are and Campground/Motels/B&B's, as well as showing where all the TCT pavilions are. .. So the route map would have imbedded markers which are only of interest to the different trail users. ... As time goes on more people put in points... flickr.com photos and information of each trail marker, more POI's can be easily added to those online databases.

So as I understand, the point of Geocaching (i now know how the spell it :lol: )... is that you dont know before hand exactly where it is. ... so the user would before they leave have the local caches loaded onto the device.

So it looks like my initial thought of Geocaching along the trail... doesnt really make sence. .. it would have to be the simple invisable geocache, having one at EVERY trail marker, this way others can refine the details on each point. ... and of course, i cant do that all myself. .... Google earth and GE Community is very helpful. ... Perhaps what im getting at is that having POI markers pointed to road intersections.. so then people who are traveling along the trail, looking for the next trail head, can find it. .. that makes for sence. :P

A prime example is the trail from Cranbrook to Elko, BC where just before you get into Elko, the trail is along dirt roads and jumps back in the bush with little to no markers. .... So by having a user-generated file with all the points of interests, which act as trail markers making the upkeep of physical signs not as big of a problem on the trail. ... BTW, This is a major reason why the trail is not used as much as it could be ..... proper signage

BTW, i'm cycing ireland, and doing the project there, as it's much smaller and easier :P .. and cycle routes in ireland ... sometimes the signs point the wrong way.

Thanks for you comments, it's greatly appreciated. ... so I dont plan on inventing the wheel :D

. ... BTW, This is a major reason why the trail is not used as much as it could be ..... proper signage

Let not forget that in some cases the trail doesn't go where it should have because of politics or whatever and we ride the other (better) options. [OK we won't be going there]

Thanks though for posting the links to the old rail bridge along the trail in BC, dayum that's good!

dutch(semi retired gear jamming)master

. ... BTW, This is a major reason why the trail is not used as much as it could be ..... proper signage

Let not forget that in some cases the trail doesn't go where it should have because of politics or whatever and we ride the other (better) options. [OK we won't be going there]

Thanks though for posting the links to the old rail bridge along the trail in BC, dayum that's good!

dutch(semi retired gear jamming)master

Yes, lets go there,

Is there a form for it?

I posted a note onto the form

'Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS'

and started a new form for this.

As it's now more clear on what im doing.

Creating a User Centric GPS map, including the GPS tracks (route) of the Complete transCanada trail, along with all the sujested alternates, and all the useful waypoints from (not no inclusive to..)

Bridges

Tunnels

Trail-heads

Trail markers

TCT Discovery pannels

TCT pavilions

Rest Areas

(power and no power washrooms)

where water fountains are.

Where information maps are (including photo of each) (on the online version, maybe visable on the GPS version, depending on how cool your Device is)

Where the tourist Offices are (phone number, address, website, photo)

Where the bike shops are

The Outdoor stores

The motels

The campgrounds (provincial, federal, municiple, privatly owned)

.. and rec site campgrounds (designated free camping areas)

The hostels across canada

and the Hotels

.. the resturants

.. the tim hortons :( (if they can sponsor this, that would be ideal)

Created using the power of Google earth, and google maps.

.. and using Everytrail.com

Using Bikely.com

and using CrazyGuyOnABike.com (posting routes) and converting to google maps

and using flickr (geotag photos)

using GPSVisualizer.com

A team of Admins would be constantly going through and editing the waypoints so it makes sence (and all inthe same format)

.. and using

The Abycus topo Map project

(where it all gets imported)

and brought into the lastest version of the available maps.

So the latest can be made available on a website for everyone to download.

Just found this thread, and got interested right away. I always been 100% for the TCT. I really need to get myself a few chunks of trail myself. lol

Have you done this trip yet, or still in the planning stages? I know that there has been a new pavillion added in my area and on portion of the trail has changed to move it off of a busy roadway.

Just found this thread, and got interested right away. I always been 100% for the TCT. I really need to get myself a few chunks of trail myself. lol

Have you done this trip yet, or still in the planning stages? I know that there has been a new pavillion added in my area and on portion of the trail has changed to move it off of a busy roadway.

Ive done sections of it (western Canada.) -Galoping goose, parts of it whch get to nanaimo.. seawall..

KVR rail trails... and in towns across alberta saskatchewan.

... Like the Dyke trail in Steveson, BC (Lulu island, across from the airport) . isnt even listed as the TCT trail.

On the TCT Website lists the locations of all the Pavilions and Discovery Pannels alll along the trail.

... but what would be cooler is to have that info available on Google maps. .. then it can be converted to GPX, and loaded onto this map.

(making the Pavilions Usefull for GPS users.

Perhaps they Can be used as reference points??

But ya, for the complete trail.. still in the planning stages..

Thanks

:(

P.S. the trail probably will always be changing (this is why im working to have it available on a GPS map)

Would you be able to post your GPS tracks on EveryTrail.com??

(you can use www.gpsvisualizer.com to convert the file easily)

Thanks,

Sam

I have 4 caches along the TCT in the vancouver island area and i think there are about 6 more nearby

Vancouver island area is BIG :(

What about posting your GPS Tracks using www.everytrail.com or GPSVisualizer.com?

Does anyone know if theres a forum about Posting and sharing GPS tracks??

Thanks,

P.S. My interests are in Biking the trail and using GPS to navigate it, showing me where everything is.

I'm still a geocaching newbie.

(Looking to help out fellow trail users... as i think IF the trail was made available to Everyone as a GPS XD card, showing ALL the points of interest along the way, and local businesses. ... it would make the trail VERY user friendly :)

Well... Just got post from a moderator;

As this isn't todo with Geocaching..

(just would be useful for all those using a GPS?)

Anway, My best guess is that you guys all post your GPS Tracks onto sites like

www.everytrail.com (as it has KML Feeds onto Google earth, showing the latest)

and www.bikely.com shows a tonne of more detailed bike trails (doesnt yet have KML Feeds)

... 'cause if every trail gets posted on that site, makes for the project to work, hopefully the 1st draft will be available in the spring for everyone to use :huh:

Cheers,

Sam

Found it!!!

Google Earth has a cool KML Feed which shows all the GeoCache locations across canada. ... (and along the trail)..

I'll be posting them on my google earth file... and on the User-Centric GPS route Map across canada.

Well... Just got post from a moderator;

As this isn't todo with Geocaching..

(just would be useful for all those using a GPS?)

Anway, My best guess is that you guys all post your GPS Tracks onto sites like

www.everytrail.com (as it has KML Feeds onto Google earth, showing the latest)

and www.bikely.com shows a tonne of more detailed bike trails (doesnt yet have KML Feeds)

... 'cause if every trail gets posted on that site, makes for the project to work, hopefully the 1st draft will be available in the spring for everyone to use :anibad:

Cheers,

Sam

Well if anyone goes through Penticton, BC I have 4 caches along the TCT. Planning to do more when it gets warmer out.

So i have the KML feed now on my User Centric GPS Map. .. so now when people download and use my map across canada. .. they can also check out the local caches where they want togo, and zoom in on them.

I can get the rough coordinates from Google earth, and make them into POI (just using POI loader) to get them on. .. I can prepack a bunch of random points. .... Surf the 5 different routes, and grab some random Cache locations, and put them in there ... (Not on the Actual Map, as caches are meant to be found.

(I do aplolgise, as my interest is more in making the GeoCache Experience, and biking across canada and biking along the trails. Easier. .. because this map contains all the Tim Hortons Across Canada, along with all the campgrounds, and Motels.. and Tourist offices.

I'd like to have a physical XD card available at each tourist office and other locations.

- Could actualy include the XD card as a Cache .. (cause its a physical thing)

Any more ideas?

Oh ya, .. wondering

When your done going along around Penticton. .. your GPS makes tracks. ... Do geocachers regularly share their Tracks? ... (no i dont mean the location of the Cache.. but just the tracks of when you were actually on the roads/trails. ... perhaps you made a circle loop on a bike? or driving or hiking? ... as it's possable to be sharing your route experience, along with photos you took while exploring that area.

I'd love to see these tracks.. then they can be added as recommended Hiking/Biking/road biking/hybred biking routes, and showing were the trailheads are.

Cheers,

Sam

P.S. thanks admin for keeping this message forum open :santa:

Well if anyone goes through Penticton, BC I have 4 caches along the TCT. Planning to do more when it gets warmer out.

Very sorry for the long delay in writing... i have posted on my blogsite acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com

the latest..

anyway in short, the (Unofficial Trans Canada Trail GPS MAP)is now available to download as a GPS Map... i includined the POI file showing all the TCT icons along the .

... Im now working on getting in touch with everyone whose interested.

... to my delight, i see that Ibycus topo and red90 have started something... just waiting to get onto that forum.

... Ya, so the bottom line is that i really hope that many people out there will be able to use this map, along with my GPS Map. .. however it turns out. ...

Please contact me. ... facebook is great.

Cheers,

Sam Vekemans