GW5 coins

D@nim@l

I was not fortunate enough to get in on the pre-order through registration, so I gave my $12 and wrote name and address on the list at the GW5 store. I was told about 2wks. It's been about 4wks. Is there any update? Did they have to have an additional run/re-mint?

Thanks in advance.

<Edit for grammar bad>

Edited by D@nim@l

Not a whole lot of info over there either.

Getting the coins/information out to the buyers has been poorly handled(IMHO) If I had your coin and you were waiting for my payment, would you still be patient? I think not. Next time, at least for me, the coin and money will exchange on the spot. It's better that way.

You're right, I should be calling Coins and Pins every day hassling them for my delivery. I'm sure that will speed things up. :laughing:

I'll get right on it.

The order for the second run was placed as soon as everything was tallied up. The coins will be shipped as soon as they are delivered to me. Obviously I'm no coin expert; feel free to offer more suggestions on how to speed up the process.

Edited by wimseyguy

Getting the coins/information out to the buyers has been poorly handled(IMHO) If I had your coin and you were waiting for my payment, would you still be patient? I think not. Next time, at least for me, the coin and money will exchange on the spot. It's better that way.

You're right, I should be calling Coins and Pins every day hassling them for my delivery. I'm sure that will speed things up. :)

I'll get right on it.

The order for the second run was placed as soon as everything was tallied up. The coins will be shipped as soon as they are delivered to me. Obviously I'm no coin expert; feel free to offer more suggestions on how to speed up the process.

Or... the other option could have been... sorry we are sold out, no coins for you :unsure:

Yes the process may be a bit slow, but at least you are getting a coin

Edited by medic208

You're right, I should be calling Coins and Pins every day hassling them for my delivery. I'm sure that will speed things up. :unsure:

I'll get right on it.

Or... the other option could have been... sorry we are sold out, no coins for you :)

Yes the process may be a bit slow, but at least you are getting a coin

Well there has been very little information out about the coins that were ordered. I don't think anyone is suggesting you call C&P everyday and hassle them, but coming over to these forums and posting updates would have been a good idea or even post more updates on the GW5 forums.

The last real update on the GW5 forums was about 2 weeks ago. The posts in the GW5 coin thread since then have all been in fun. Which is fine too...as long as people know what is going on. :)

As was stated in the thread over there when the coins were paid for in the store it was said 2 weeks for them to come in. Instead it was almost 2 weeks before the order was placed with C&P. Now I knew the coins were not coming in 2 weeks I figured it would be 4 weeks, but not everyone knows the coin process. We are almost headed into the sixth week. Most everyone paid for these coins by Saturday May 26th and this upcoming Saturday July 7th will be 6 weeks. That is a looong time. :D

I do not think it is reasonable to get regular updates. Instead when people question what is going we get somewhat stand-offish posts. :)

OK, here is today's update. The coins are not in yet.

I guess we could post this twice a day.

Or, like reasonable people, you all could take us at our word to post new information when we actually have new information. It was already explained in the GW5 forum that whoever was saying the coins would be shipped in 2 weeks didn't know what they were talking about and should not have been saying that. Sorry. We are not planning to continue posting updates in every forum we can find. Look in the GW5 forum for updates until that site is retired. No update means we have nothing new to say. Sorry if we're not chatty enough for everyone.

Well it would have been nice if you would have posted an update at least once a week, no one has asked for daily updates. At the very least let everyone know that the coins were not going to be ordered until 2 weeks after payment was accepted.

As for where to post the updates...post them only on the GW5 forum again no one has you "to continue posting updates in every forum we can find". The last real update over there was on June 17 when it was said the order had been placed. There was another post on June 20 that said it will take at least a week or maybe 3 for the coins to come but it was a joking type post.

The last post is exactly the problem, people post legitimate concerns and the only thing gotten in return from the hosts of GW5 is condescending responses. You are running a business (even if you do not think you are) and should act accordingly. Your customers have questions and concerns.

It has been at least 2 1/2 weeks since the order has been place, so I am sure news will be coming soon.

I am amazed at the attitudes being displayed by the people who are behind the coin. People have bought these coins and were told certain things about them such as a timeline. If the information given to them was wrong, then that is your fault for having misguided people giving the info out, not the buyer's fault.

What exactly was the reason it took 3 weeks to place the order? Seems to me all you needed to do was to run a spreadsheet to keep track of who bought a coin, then hit a button to total them up automatically. The order should have been placed in a much more timely matter.

Coming in here and being all pissy at the people who were told one thing when they paid, and then getting a different story later is wrong. I seriously doubt this would be the attitude if GW5 hadn't happened yet, or even better was still up in the nomination stages. But since all that is over you guys don't have to pretend to be nice about it anymore. Telling people to go somewhere else to get their info and you are unwilling to update it in more than one place is another mistake. If you just want one place to update it then why not here? I am sure this site is going to out last the other website.

Please don't ruin a great job you guys did on hosting such a wonderful event by venting on people here for something they are feeling slighted on. It may not be totally your fault, but it sertainly isn't the fault of the buyers. Don't let this issue leave a bad taste in the mouths of those who otherwise have nothing but praise for all the work you did.

*In using of the terms you, your, and you guys, I am not speaking of any one person, but rather any and all who have spoken here or elsewhere as to being behind the coin effort. Not meant as a personal shot but rather an observation of the way things have been handled as a whole with this coin.

Awe come on. . . . . .

It is well known that people hate presales. The reason is that there are delays and problems. But when a coin has already been produced, it would seem a fairly simple task to make more.

1. Figure out how many more are needed - a day or two.

2. Order tracking numbers - Up to a week.

3. Place order with factory - 1 day.

4. Get estimated date of delilvery from factory - 1-2 days after the order is placed.

5. Coins made and sent to USA - 3-4 weeks tops.

Now it has been what 6-7 weeks and when people ask about the status of the coins they ordered and paid for they are treated badly. It does not seem right.

I mean at the very least, the coin vendor has an estimated ship date, that could be shared here in the forums, which would go a long way toward people thinking that their loyalty to the event is valued.

My Thoughts!

Bumpity bump.

At the risk of getting flamed by those behind the coin's creation, any update on the status of this one? Normally I'm pretty patient, but as we approach the 2 month anniversary of the event I'm getting a little concerned. I see no update on the GW5 site as well.

Those behind the coin were rather quick with the one liners and such but when called on the carpet to answer so hard questions and be honest for once, it seems they have forgotten how to get to the forums. Another example of a coin being tarnished but the people behind it.

An update was posted on the GW5 forums.

GW5 Forum Post

<sigh>

This week's update is still no delivery. :laughing:

I saw Tess and Aaron at an event on Saturday, and they pointed out that they have been on vacation all week, so they hadn't responded to my email asking for an update. It should be any day now is what I was told.

Edit: to fix the link.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

The good news is the coins finally arrived today, and have already been placed in the mail to the committee.

The bad news is that the world just isn't as perfect as some expect in here.

Things don't always go as fast as some of you think. We also don't provide estimated delivery dates because it is "ESTIMATED" and not firm. When you provide an estimated date, several people take it as the exact date they will be done rather than understanding there could be a 3 to 4 day spread no matter how much you explain the word "ESTIMATED" to them. Heck even what was told to people at GW5 was probably just that...an estimation. They were trying to be courteous, and they did a great job with the event. They recognized that the demand for these coins increased, and offered to mint more to meet additional requests. The committee has been honest and forthcoming, and really doesn't deserve all the hell they have taken over trying to provide something that the public wanted. Let's take a look at the facts here:

1. The committee had to tally up how many more coins to make. This takes some time because there are many other tasks at the end of a very large event that must be tied up also. Plus, they have additional jobs and lives and families to tend to.

2. The tracking numbers have to be ordered. We usually order tracking numbers before we start production since general production flows smoother when tracking numbers are submitted the same time production is started.

3. Then it takes time to mint the coins and then ship them.

In all, it really is about the appropriate amount of time to get the coins out, other than the factory taking about a week longer to make coins than usual these days.

Regardless, the coins are now on their way. Maybe everyone can sleep easier tonight knowing that everything is once again right in the world.

Thank you.

Gotta love it when a competitor takes a swipe at your suggestion in the forums, so I guess i need to respond.

First I need to say the reason I am responding is to address the reality that not all coin companies DON'T give delivery estimates; Most do.

Here is how it works for Hogwild: when we submit approved art to the factory, they give us an estimate as to when the samples will be delivered and what the estimated production time will be upon approval of samples.

Under the theory that an informed customer is a happy customer, we provide our customers with that estimate. We always make sure they understand that there are circumstances that can impact this estimate, and that sometimes we even get coins earlier.

When a problem occurs we promptly let the customer know what the status is and what the revised estimated delivery date is.

Honestly, when like all coin makers have production issues. We have never had a customer complain because we are so careful to promptly deliver status reports to our customers.

I would also like to add that we recently did a reorder on a coin, It took a bit longer than normal to get numbers from Groundspeak than usual because of the July 4 holiday, but even with all that the coins will be delivered and available to my customers in just 32 days after we realized we needed more coins.

I guess the bottom line is we really try to operate under the principal that the customer is always right and has the right to expect as much information as available, both good and bad.

My thoughts

Edited by southbayday

I guess the bottom line is we really try to operate under the principal that the customer is always right and has the right to expect as much information as available, both good and bad.

Thanks, southbayday, for your thoughts. Coins & Pins mentioned in an earlier message that there is a variety of ways that businesses are run. I appreciate the way HogWild maintains customer service, and I have always received prompt, courteous responses from your company. As a consumer, that's what I expect.

I will continue to wait patiently for the official GW5 geocoins. As Coins & Pins said, "Regardless, the coins are now on their way. Maybe everyone can sleep easier tonight knowing that everything is once again right in the world." ;) It shouldn't be long now. I'm looking forward to adding ithe official coin to my collection of GW5 coins -- the GW5 shirt from HogWild, the GW5 coin from Oak Coins, and of course, the GW5 sunbursts from Castle Coins.

Thanks to both Coins & Pins and HogWild for your thoughts on the topic.

One person at the GW5 table said "two weeks", and now all this?

Gotta love it when a competitor takes a swipe at your suggestion in the forums, so I guess i need to respond.

First I need to say the reason I am responding is to address the reality that not all coin companies DON'T give delivery estimates; Most do.

Here is how it works for Hogwild: when we submit approved art to the factory, they give us an estimate as to when the samples will be delivered and what the estimated production time will be upon approval of samples.

Under the theory that an informed customer is a happy customer, we provide our customers with that estimate. We always make sure they understand that there are circumstances that can impact this estimate, and that sometimes we even get coins earlier.

When a problem occurs we promptly let the customer know what the status is and what the revised estimated delivery date is.

Honestly, when like all coin makers have production issues. We have never had a customer complain because we are so careful to promptly deliver status reports to our customers.

I would also like to add that we recently did a reorder on a coin, It took a bit longer than normal to get numbers from Groundspeak than usual because of the July 4 holiday, but even with all that the coins will be delivered and available to my customers in just 32 days after we realized we needed more coins.

Forum angst and frustration with a bad guess at a GW5 table has now compelled a rival minter to boldly step forward and proclaim "my company would have handled this situation differently." Holy "hind sight is 20/20", Batman!

Seriously, why even chime in here? Was this intended to pile on the forum angst and use this opportunity to make you look good? Hula Bum is right, this post is nothing but an attempt at a shameless self-promotion at the expense of a competetor who's done nothing wrong.

CoinsAndPins couldn't even start the process of a re-order without a quantity order from the GW5 folks, so there's your first delay right there. Then there's buying the tracking codes. Then there's the factory's holiday crunch. And remember it all started with an unassuming, but unrealistic bad guess by a volunteer who probably had twenty other things to worry about at the time.

Here's some hind sight for ya... The GW5 folks should never have taken pre-orders on a re-minting. Sadly, people would have complained about that decision too. Catch 22.

Here's some hind sight for ya... The GW5 folks should never have taken pre-orders on a re-minting. Sadly, people would have complained about that decision too. Catch 22.

I kind of agree with this. Hopefully the practice will be refrained from for GW6.

The fault lies with whoever told the customers the unrealistic timeline to begin with, not the vendor.

The fault lies with whoever told the customers the unrealistic timeline to begin with, not the vendor.

I agree. I don't think anyone was blaming CoinsandPins at all. The problem, and reason for this thread, is the way it has been handled by the spokepeople for the GW5 coin and their refusal to give their paying customers any kind of factual updates without snide remarks and games. I am not sure how it is turning into a vendor issue since it never seemed like one from the start.

The problem started when the people behind the coin gave unrealistic delivery dates. When consumers started asking questions, they were told to search other forums and such for answers, and then were greated with nothing but roadblocks and smart mouthed answers that meant nothing. Surely this isn't the fault of the buying public, andmore than the vendor.

Whoa! Don't blame the GW5 folks. Sure one of their people at the counter didn't explain very well what "2 weeks" meant or misunderstood the process, but I have read the threads and the GW5 people did accurately explain what is going on including giving a correction to what the person at the counter said. You are not buying products off the shelf from WalMart when it comes to geocoins. If you were haggled as much as they have been about this coin, then you would probably start to get a little short too. The committee did state:

"Several people have reported being told that the coins would be shipped within 1-2 weeks.

I'm not sure who was saying that, but most everyone involved knew that we had sold out of all coins on hand and had to order more to be made.

Time to order, manufacture and ship would obviously take several weeks so I'm guessing that either the person(s) did not know what the situation was and should have referred the questions to someone who did or perhaps what they were saying was delivered in such a way as to be widely misunderstood.

In any event, the order has been placed and wimseyguy will update us all with any new information as soon as he receives it."

That is pretty clear to me, especially the part about "In any event, the order has been placed and wimseyguy will update us all with any new information as soon as he receives it"; but for some reason it has to be bashed over repeatedly by some people thinking that will cure the ills of the world. And of course me posting this will cause some people to again repeatedly post about how they think the world should act. Heaven forbid anyone should make a mistake about the timeline of when they will ship just because of a misunderstanding. Good thing it is illegal these days to burn people for witch craft. If it weren't then I think some of you would burn geocoin people at the stake.

Pghlooking: I know I am posting this right after your post, but this post is not directly towards you; however there are a few other posts in here that it is directly towards, including some posts from several days ago.

Good thing it is illegal these days to burn people for witch craft. If it weren't then I think some of you would burn geocoin people at the stake.

;);)

When I order coins, I don't really mind if it take days, weeks, or months for the package to arrive, as long is it eventually shows up! Not like my money is going to appreciate in the bank fast enough to make any difference if I pay upon arrival versus on order.

As C&P has said, different folks run their businesses different ways, and I have no problem dealing with those that sell a coin before they have it in hand (although hopefully it is at least after the order is sent to the mint!)

Pretty sure C&P normally lists a coin for sale AFTER they receive it, so the confusion arose during that short period of frenzied mayhem when the GW5 store was open for business at the event but had run out of coins to sell.

Maybe the moral is to either pre-order so you know you'll get your event coin, or trade for it afterwards so you're not waiting for the re-minting. :o

I pre-ordered my coins, but was unable to attend GW5 because of a last minute "suggestion" from my company, that I really oughta come to work instead. :o

Anyway, my coins were sold to others at the event because there were folks there throwing cash at them, and I was no where to be found. I probably would have done the same thing... So I am now on the waiting list for new coins but I'm not really in a hurry to get them. I figure they will show up eventually and when they do, I can release one, put one on my display rack, and trade the other two. I really don't understand why some folks are so worried about it though, unless there is a fear that they aren't really getting any coins for the money they paid. It isn't like you are waiting on a kidney transplant, or your paycheck from work. It's a geocoin.... a piece of metal with some art stamped on it. While it's a cool piece of metal, that represents a large event, it's still not the end of the world if it's a week late, or even a month late.

I understand that some folks have a problem with the way the GW5 folks are responding to all of this, but put yourself in their shoes for a moment, and think about all of the hard work that they had to do, all of the organization, paperwork, money handling etc etc. That was a huge undertaking that isn't over just because the event itself is. I'm sure by hosting such a large event, their stress levels were highly elevated, and they probably just reacted the way they did because of all of the stress right now. I say cut them some slack, and be patient. Your coins will show up soon. ;)

BTW, Just to update you a little more....the person in charge of shipping the coins will be attending MWGB, so the coins are not going to ship until after that event, so it will be next week sometime before they go out the door. If you need something to keep your mind off of the GW5 coin until then, keep in mind the FSM coin is coming out real soon, so you can be getting your F5 key ready! ;)

Being the OP, I had a concern and people here know stuff. I was unaware of the forum thread on the GW5 website. As far as I knew the coins could have been shipped and mine missed the boat or got lost in transit, but I don't think I was being unreasonable in asking.

Edited by D@nim@l

Being the OP, I had a concern and people here know stuff. I was unaware of the forum thread on the GW5 website. As far as I knew the coins could have been shipped and mine missed the boat or got lost in transit, but I don't think I was being unreasonable in asking.

Nope. Not unreasonable at all. These forums just have a way of turning simple questions into debate platforms.

I think the best solution is just to tell the people that missed out on the first order that they are SOL. Sell only what you have in hand and the rest are just out of luck, you snooze you lose.

People need to be careful, it's the same ones crying that they missed a coin the first round that will be griping if it takes longer than they expected to receive the second round. Sooner or later people just won't make the second round to avoid the grief.

You'd think they were waiting for a new kidney or something.......

edit to add-asking the op question was simple and reasonable, that's not what i'm referring to here

Edited by Hula Bum