PDA Software

Hello again.

I am contemplating buying a Garmin Etrex and it has suddenly dawned upon me that i own a PDA that i use a TomTom Mobile Satelite Reciever with. Is there any software out there that will utilise the TomTom reciever that is bluetoothed to my PDA. Obviously i use TomTom Mobile software with it but when you go offroad it don't wanna play ball and you cannot mark waypoints by co-ordinates. I just downloaded Garmin Que software but i find that can only be used with The Que device itself and will not utilise my reciever at all. That software looks the dogs doodaas by the way and has everything i would need and more.

Thankin you for your replys in advance

Tony

Try a google for 'Cetus'. What PDA do you have? Pocket PC software seems to be better but you'll find for the palm it's free.

I use GSAK to export my waypoints to my satnav and you can do the same with your tom tom. It'll get you to the right location and then you can use your BT GPSr and PDA to get to GZ.

I steal the boys Etrex now and again because the bat life is superb compared to that of the pocket PC or Palm, I use the latter for cache info using cachemate.

Try a google for 'Cetus'. What PDA do you have? Pocket PC software seems to be better but you'll find for the palm it's free.

I use GSAK to export my waypoints to my satnav and you can do the same with your tom tom. It'll get you to the right location and then you can use your BT GPSr and PDA to get to GZ.

I steal the boys Etrex now and again because the bat life is superb compared to that of the pocket PC or Palm, I use the latter for cache info using cachemate.

I have a o2 XDA IIs (its a B.T. Mobile Phone/PDA) it has Pocket PC OS.

Sorry i am a newbie, what's GZ?

I have a o2 XDA IIs (its a B.T. Mobile Phone/PDA) it has Pocket PC OS.

Sorry i am a newbie, what's GZ?

GZ = Ground Zero or the cache location .

I use cachemate with the cachenav plugin and that works well enough .

I tried Cachemate and it still wont utilise my bluetooth reciever. When trying to configure the cachenav plugin it requires a port, well there is no port that i know of.

Thanks for your help tho

Tony

If you use GSAK you can export waypoints as a TomTom POI file and then use TT to get to cache locations, and BeeLine for the final bit. You can also run Memory Map (OS maps) on the PDA and see exactly where you are!

One tip.... I use a program called Franson GPS gate to create a virtual comm port on my Mio 550. This allows multiple applications (like TomTom and Memory Map) to all 'share' the GPS device. I found that Windows Mobile doesn't do this on it's own very well.

Chris

If you use GSAK you can export waypoints as a TomTom POI file ...

I tried this yesterday but I can't see how to import the POI file into TomTom...

Thanks

As Bob says, GSAK exports (creates) the POI files (one .bmp and one .ovl). You just copy these into the Great Britain map folder of the TT using Windows - they'll then appear on the TT when you look for a POI. You can also rename the two files to suit yourself - e.g. in Cornwall last week I created a GeoCornwall.ovl - easier to find in the TT!

Chris

Thankyou all.

I now use my PDA with Beeline and the Bluetooth GPSr. I can download waypoints directly from Geocaching.com straight onto the pda and also directly onto Google Earth. I have just discovered how to transfer my track from the pda to google earth too which is pretty cool.

Thanks once again,

Tony