Is GeoCaching Slowing Down?

Last year there seemed to be one new Cache after another. This year it seems there are a lot less. Even the activity at some of the regular caches seems to be down a bit. I guess all the locals have already been to all the local caches....and not many visitors going Geocaching. Are they are hiding from the mosquitos and ticks?

This is my observation in the Madison, Wi area...How is it in your area?

32 caches placed within 10 miles of my house since the beginning of the month.

500 that I haven't yet found within 15 miles of my house.

If that is slower than last year, we probably were overdoing it last year.

But since you asked, I looked, and of the caches I haven't yet found, only 12 were placed in June last year.

I would look at my account to see how many I found last June, but when I try to go there I get a server error message.

Nope, Geocaching is still going strong on the sandwich islands.

I have a few suggestions. If your area is running out places to put new caches. In other word it is reaching cache saturation. You can look around for neglected cache where the owner hasn't logged in for a few years and place SBA logs on those caches. That will free up areas for new caches and keep the activity fresh. You can also archive some of your own tired old caches. You could even take one of your old 1/1 traditional caches, archive it, then replace it with a puzzle cache or a multi-cache.

***You can also archive some of your own tired old caches. You could even take one of your old 1/1 traditional caches, archive it, then replace it with a puzzle cache or a multi-cache.***

Yes, I have thought of doing this.

I do have permits to place Geocaches in city and county parks...and they are just a park permit...not for any specific type or coordinates withing that park. I thought of changing 1, to make a Night Cache.

Edited by GURU4HIRE

GURU4HIRE: It is most likely your area. There might not be as many cachers in your area as in others. Here in the Pittsfield Mass. area I kind of think that we are gaining more caches per week then new cachers per year. What I mean by this is that we have a very healthy growth rate of caches and that is very good for all who play, but the problem is that we are slow in gaining new cachers to the area to the south of me.

The best way to raise awareness of geocaching' is to hold events.

Try to hold an event that asks every Geocacher to bring one non Geocacher that they know, or there family to a Pot luck Picnic, and then plan on everyone doing some caching. Afterwords have every one meet back at the picnic area and tell what they think of the day they just had. This Idea might bring some new cachers in to the area and help the growth rate of caches for you.

How is it in your area?

Well, with the heavy rains and flooding we've been having in Oklahoma in the past few months, geocaching is sporadic at best and in some areas has almost completely ground to a halt. I have (or had) 5 ammo cans placed at various points around Lake Arcadia in Central Oklahoma. The lake level is now sitting 11+ feet above normal and my caches are now all submerged 5/5's. In the pics below, where you see water now was mostly dry land a few weeks ago. Needless to say, few new caches have been placed during this time and many more have been either disabled or archived.

b4e5ba29-7fb7-4bce-9ea7-059a25f390a9.jpg

2b3dc808-f20b-44f6-a8f6-0dd2869a43fa.jpg

3d6107f9-3357-4939-aa98-d432dc60de6b.jpg

Edited by JamGuys

How is it in your area?

Well, with the heavy rains we've been having in Oklahoma in the past few months, geocaching has almost completely ground to a halt. I have (or had) 5 ammo cans placed at various points around Lake Arcadia in Central Oklahoma. The lake level is now sitting 11+ feet above normal and my caches are now all submerged 5/5's. In the pics below, where you see water now was dry land a few weeks ago. Needless to say, few new caches have been placed during this time and many more have been archived.

b4e5ba29-7fb7-4bce-9ea7-059a25f390a9.jpg

2b3dc808-f20b-44f6-a8f6-0dd2869a43fa.jpg

3d6107f9-3357-4939-aa98-d432dc60de6b.jpg

Excuses, Excuses...

How is it in your area?

Well, with the heavy rains we've been having in Oklahoma in the past few months, geocaching has almost completely ground to a halt. I have (or had) 5 ammo cans placed at various points around Lake Arcadia in Central Oklahoma. The lake level is now sitting 11+ feet above normal and my caches are now all submerged 5/5's. In the pics below, where you see water now was dry land a few weeks ago. Needless to say, few new caches have been placed during this time and many more have been archived.

It's been raining a lot around here too but not that bad. No serious floods and most Geocaches are still accessible. Every now and then it seems like caching is slowing down but then it picks up again. I've noticed a lot of new geocachers out there. Unfortunately, the high count cachers don't have too many more to find so they have slowed down. My finds are way down unless I'm travelling. Perhaps that is what has happened in your area too. As for Oklahoma, well I think I'd be staying home or shopping for a good water pump!

Slowing down, not at all. 75 new caches listed last week according to Thursday's email, 14 upcoming events as well.

My 500 nearest unfound PQ used to go out about 30 miles, now it doesn't even go 20 .:laughing:

And we did have about 2000 come to town last month for GW5. Nope not slowing down at all. :laughing:

Edited by wimseyguy

I'm in the SF Bay Area... technically, I guess I'd be labeled as the North or East Bay. I've got my notifications set for a 10 mile radius from home and am getting probably 4 or 5 a week. In fact the last time I was at an event we were commenting on how active the Bay Area Community is. I've been to events where we had trouble in that the restaurant we reserved for the event couldn't hold the number of cachers that showed up!

DCC

Caching does not seem to be growing much in my area. Most of my caches I placed in 2005 are being found just about as many times this year as the same time period last year, but definitely not more than last year. My puzzle caches, on the other hand, are being found 40% as much as last year.

Strong as ever out here in sunny California!

It seems there is a constant in terms of new caches - AND the newest caches coming out are the best we've seen in a while. People out here are coming up with new ideas and creative ways to keep things interesting.

Sorry it's not better in your area.

Nope, the weather has been nice so the logs have been pouring in for my caches. I was away for the weekend and came home to close to 30 logs for my caches over the 2 days.

It usually does slow down when it gets hot, then picks up again in the fall, but other than a few days here and there it's been real cool in the northeast. Perfect caching weather.

No slowing down here! :laughing: A matter of fact the action is very hot. I live in a tourist destination area with allot of visitors at Mt.Rushmore and Crazy Horse. There is a flurry of activity at all of the Black Hills area caches. When I first started caching earlier this year you couldn't find a Geocoin and TB's were scarce, they are everywhere now that all of the tourists are dropping them off and checking out the scenery. :blink:

my wife and I just started geocaching, were going out today for the second time, this time were taking friends and family with us. We learned about geocaching by way of mouth. I'm in the guard here in Illinois, and while on AT in Ft. McCoy, WI one of my army buddies told me about geocaching. I guess what I am saying is that anything can slow down if people don't tell others about it. I mean the best way to get new geocachers is talking to friends of yours that you think might be interested, maybe take them out with you when you go.

Here in my area of WV it doesn't feel like there are many new hides. And before someone writes: "well have YOu hidden any?!" the answer is no - I have been concentrating on finding em - so I get the hang of the containers, places to hide, clues, etc. I do plan on hiding one before long though.

Since some caches are a good distance - I have taken up benchmark hunting - again - not THAT many here - but they can be fun and pretty challenging. Warning though - my teammate/son isn't into benchmarking (though he doesn't take or leave anything at caches - so maybe he is just acting like a teen!), so it may not be for everyone. Letterboxing sounds cool too - so will be getting a rubber stamp kit and doing alittle of that.

As for geocaching here in WV - its definately growing in the number of participants - no doubt about it.

Just my 2 cents.

Slowing down, not at all. 75 new caches listed last week according to Thursday's email, 14 upcoming events as well.

My 500 nearest unfound PQ used to go out about 30 miles, now it doesn't even go 20 .:o

And we did have about 2000 come to town last month for GW5. Nope not slowing down at all. :(

Our ncreviewer is one of the busiest people I know. I think nearly 50 caches were published last night alone with caches being published every day. We have lots of new cachers that provide caches and lots of fellowship for all of us. We are lucky to be in a very active area (as around 2000 cachers found out in GW5). There is a huge variety of cache types too to choose from. I have been caching since December of 2003 and have seen no slowdown.

My pocket queries to get all VT caches are set up like this:

Query 1 - Jan 1 2000 to June 1 2006

Query 2 - June 2 2006 to June 1 2007

Query 3 - June 2 2007 to Dec 31 2007

The number of caches respectively are: 485, 477 and 60

This means that half of the caches in Vermont were put out in the last year (albeit I am ignoring a lot of archived caches).

So I would say things are picking up, a lot.

I find that new caches within 5-10 miles of me have slowed down, -but- it seems like new caches are popping up faster outside of the metro area than they were this time last year. Also, my home parish used to have a whopping 2 caches (one of which was mine) until this year. Now there's a shade over 20, which have all popped up since Thanksgiving.

I think another reason the rate of new caches is slowed down here is because people seem to be over the whole "a cache in every lamp post skirt" thing. Most new caches I've done recently have been decent sized caches that took me on a nice walk, and quite a few nice multis and puzzles are also popping up. I'll gladly take a slower rate of interesting new caches over a high rate of mostly skirtlifter new caches.

How is it in your area?

Well, with the heavy rains and flooding we've been having in Oklahoma in the past few months, geocaching is sporadic at best and in some areas has almost completely ground to a halt. I have (or had) 5 ammo cans placed at various points around Lake Arcadia in Central Oklahoma. The lake level is now sitting 11+ feet above normal and my caches are now all submerged 5/5's. In the pics below, where you see water now was mostly dry land a few weeks ago. Needless to say, few new caches have been placed during this time and many more have been either disabled or archived.

We need a new Attribute: Flood Accessable!!

Although it is hot, the number of cachers, especially caching families, has probably tripled in the last year. We had an event on Sunday, and had well over 50 people, with many children running round. We are seeing an increase in all types of hides, as well. I feel very lucky.

2nd that! :angry:

From the Denver area. Seven to ten new caches each day. so many caches, so little time :D

I want to go to Denver!!! I was actually stuck spending the night in Denver back in May because of a late connecting flight. I was SO wishing I had some local caches loaded in my GPS that I actually DID have with me but no......... I had planned on being home in Reno that afternoon.

I do think it has slowed down here. The weather has been pretty hot. We are happy this week that it is below triple digits. Even the message boards here have slowed way down. I think its a bit sad. I've only been caching since late October so I have never seen this kind of lull in activity and I hope this is nothing out of the ordinary and it picks back up again.

:angry:

You posted exactly what I was thinking! The weather in TX has been holding back the caching scene, HOWEVER, this past week has had some pretty nice days. But I've been checking the cache logs in the area and hardly anyone has hunted in the last 6 months. I especially go back to read logs of the difficult bushwacking caches that I've done just to see if anyone else had a hard time or just to read their experiences. But there aren't any. On all the hard ones I'd been to, mine are the last logs. The only caches that have been accessed are park and grabs. No one posts anything interesting about park and grabs (except maybe me, who can turn a simple park and grab into a major drama. Maybe it's just that there are no NEW caches and all the geocachers in the area have found the existing ones. I don't know, but I wish things would pick up. I love it that my stats are catching up to the gurus, but I'd rather read interesting "found it" logs than have high stats.