Extreme Cache Event on St Agnes, Isles of Scilly - Summer 2008

A very early heads-up for my next extreme cache event, set for the most southerly populated island of the British Isles*, St Agnes in the Isles of Scilly. There had been talk of a caving cache expedition to Gaping Gyhll, and that may yet happen too, but I love the West Country and have always liked islands (see my St Kilda event) - plus I've now been to the most westerly place in Britain (see my St Kilda event, again!) so it'd be good to visit the most southerly too*. There's 18 caches on the various islands of Scilly, plus a whole lot in Cornwall, and in the summer you can get there by ferry or plane from various locations, including Lands End.

Provisional date is Saturday June 21st 2008, but it can't be listed for another 6 months! I hope to echo the great success of my last extreme event, while making it a more accessible proposition. Keep an eye on this thread for updates on times, places and travel.

*If we ignore the Channel Islands for a moment! The Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom and have no representation in Parliament at Westminster. They are internally self-governing "Dependencies" of the Crown included in the term "British Islands". They are "British Possessions" but not "colonies" (schedule 1 to the Interpretation Act 1978). To distinguish them from the United Kingdom Overseas Territories (which term has replaced "Dependent Territories"), they should be referred to as "Crown Dependencies". So now you know.

For Trig Point fans, the Isles of Scilly appear to have the UK's 2nd most remote TP*, TP0745 - St Martins Head, which is 41Km (25.5miles) to its nearest neighbour at Lands End. This is based on my rather limited use of TrigpointingUK.com - If I'm wrong, I'd love to know where the 2nd most remote in Britain is.

*The most remote is on St Kilda, of course.

We've just got back from 4 days on Scilly :laughing: We visited the "day marker" on St Martin's Head, took a pic of the trig point next to it and then got caught in a heavy shower there... Had to head for cover in the ruins of the Old Signal Station.

The islands are beautiful - Go if you can :laughing:

MrsB

Note from Mr B.. if you've never been to Scilly and wonder how you get there here are the ways....

Yes, you can talk to the pilots, the plane is quite small, the runway at St Mary's does go uphill and then downhill (great in a crosswind!). Yes, it is a crashed plane...badly parked in a nearby farmer's field! Apparently the pilot got the landing completely wrong and rather than brake hard he decided to go around and stalled. No one badly hurt! It was a private plane by the way! You can also go by helicopter or of course the leisurely way by boat!

Chris

scillytravel.jpg

Edited by The Blorenges

P07723.jpg

Day marker? Sure, that's what *they* want you to believe. You have to admire the daring; hiding Britain's nuclear deterrent in plain view of satellite surveillance...

It does look a charming spot, and at 47m (154ft) as opposed to St Kilda's 376m (1,234ft) it shouldn't have the misty problem we had on Hirta. Or the danger of wandering over a 1000ft+ cliff. Or being attacked by a Great Skua. Or treading on a chick or egg. Or having a heart attack - it's quite a climb from sea level!

I've been away and just caught up with this thread - Extreme caching? Isles of Scilly? Come on now Paul.

I'll grant you that St Kilda hit the 'extreme' spot; sorry I missed the fun, but Scilly; a popular all year round holiday destination? Sorry, what next, extreme events at Newquay?

Fastnet Rock on the other hand...........

:P

Edited by FollowMeChaps
Paul you have to have a trip arround the bishops rock lighthouse to go to the extreme point.
As it's too small to support a person without outside help, it's a rock and not an island (the name is a clue, I notice!) and I'm focusing on islands. Might be worth a visit anyway: Daily Boat Trips from St. Mary's Quay - Bishop and Western Rocks :laughing:

Having been round it i can assure you that there is an old house with walled garden very very close to the lighthouse. :blink:

Having been round it i can assure you that there is an old house with walled garden very very close to the lighthouse. :blink:
I'm pretty sure the lighthouse keepers had outside help to stay on the island rock. I don't think there's any fresh water there, for a start... Anyway, at the price of a trip to see it, I think I'd want to pay a visit. :laughing: Edited by Simply Paul
Having been round it i can assure you that there is an old house with walled garden very very close to the lighthouse. :D
I'm pretty sure the lighthouse keepers had outside help to stay on the island rock. I don't think there's any fresh water there, for a start... Anyway, at the price of a trip to see it, I think I'd want to pay a visit. :)

Id certainly recomend it. Not when the 40 foot waves are crashing on it but as the skipper said "we dont come out in those conditions"

^_^:D

Paul looking at our iteneray for this one so put a tentative for 5 peeps.

2008 Flights To St. Mary 's & Tresco Are Now On Sale

You are among the first to know that we are now selling flights to the Isles Of Scilly for 2008

Book now and you are guaranteed our best fares held at 2007 prices

We recommend that you book early - Especially for the more popular periods of the year.

This offer is valid for bookings made before October, 31st 2007

To book please telephone the Penzance reservations team on (01736) 363871 quoting '2008 Email Offer'

If you do not wish to be contacted for any further offers or information from British International, please reply to this email.

British International

The Heliport, Penzance

Cornwall, TR18 3AP

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1736 363 871

Fax: + 44 (0) 1736 332 253

email: reservations@brit-int.co.uk

BUY ON LINE @

www.islesofscillyhelicopter.com

Just recieved today