Some Topo Details not visible on Map76CSx

This is the first time I have seen this. I am using a Garmin Map76CSx and I have the maps from both City Navigator 7 and Topo US Version 3.02 loaded on the 76CSx. I have the maximum visible detail set both on my PC based Mapsource and the 76CSx map set up.

I can see the unpaved road I want clearly on the PC based Topo maps. When I move my maps over the same area on my 76CSx, the dotted line representing the unpaved road is not visible, no matter what Zoom level I try.

I even built a route on the PC overlaying the road and then transfered that route to the Map76CSx. The route and waypoints are clearly visible but the underlying road on the map can not be seen.

If you see the unpaved road on the PC based version, I would expect to see the same detail on the GPS unit. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks,

Brad

I struggled with this same question for a while. I'll add a little more detail to the previous response.

The issue is the different map sets are in different layers. The most detailed layer shows by default, and that's usually the City Navigator. All the other layers are hidden below. To turn off the City Navigator, do the following.

1. Go to the Map Setup page (easiest way is show the map page, hit Menu, then choose Setup Map)

2. Scroll over to select the Information Icon (the "i")

3. Hit Menu button again

4. Choose Hide the City Navigator Map

That should do it. At step 4 above, you have lots of choices. You can toggle the different map sets on and off (Hide and Show). I find it simplest to Show None, then Show US Topo when I'm offroad. Then when I go back to the streets, I choose Show All.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jarras

I should have provided a little more detail in my first discription. :laughing: In my GPS I do have the CN maps hidden and the topo are visible. I can see all the other topo details like the contour lines and other major terran features. It just seems to be this one section of minor back road that is not visible.

Sourounding larger dirt roads are visible and even the one road I want is there where it turns off the larger road. It is only visible for about the fist few hundred yards then disapears. It doesn't matter if i zoom in closer or farther out....can't be seen on GPS display. It's about a 5 mile stretch of road.

Any more ideas? I do appreciate the replys, keep em coming. Thanks.

Fixed! :laughing: Your thought on the CN map got me thinking. I went back into the Map76CSx and looked at all the other maps I have loaded. I had a custom topo map for Lake Tahoe that was active. I have no idea why it effected my view over here in Arizona but when I hid that Tahoe map, my local topo details all came back.

I'll have to be sure keep that puppy hidden. Thanks for the input. I'm good to go now.

I struggled with this same question for a while. I'll add a little more detail to the previous response.

The issue is the different map sets are in different layers. The most detailed layer shows by default, and that's usually the City Navigator. All the other layers are hidden below. To turn off the City Navigator, do the following.

1. Go to the Map Setup page (easiest way is show the map page, hit Menu, then choose Setup Map)

2. Scroll over to select the Information Icon (the "i")

3. Hit Menu button again

4. Choose Hide the City Navigator Map

That should do it. At step 4 above, you have lots of choices. You can toggle the different map sets on and off (Hide and Show). I find it simplest to Show None, then Show US Topo when I'm offroad. Then when I go back to the streets, I choose Show All.

Hope this helps.

thanks for posting this.. just loaded topo 24k west and knew I had to turn off the city nav maps, but could not figure out how to do it in one step (vs. uncheck each tile .. impossible). did not think to hit menu again in the setup but searched and found your post - really appreciate it!