Temporary disable or permanent archive?

I have temporarily disabled a vanished cache which I own. My intent was to replace it, but I unexpectedly had to leave town due to a family medical emergency. I will be away for a month. I would prefer to replace the cache and keep the continuity rather than permanently archive it and start over with a new cache when I am able. Is five weeks (the cache has already been down for a week) too long for a temporary disable?

That's an excellent point. Kids will often return to see if the "treasure" has magically reappeared. If it doesn't come back after they've checked a few times, they'll give up.

I had one of mine temporarily disabled for several months. It was a specialty container and I had to make a new one. Took longer than even I would have wanted, but I had also to redesign it a bit as well. No problems with my reviewer.

When we have had a cache disappear due to muggles, we often leave it "temporarily disabled" for several months, in the hopes that the people (most likely kids) that found it will not return for another container.

If it is replaced promptly, it is likely to disappear again.

Wouldn't it be better to archive it? And place a new container at a different location?

Just disable it and post a note to the cache page. This alerts everyone including your local reviewer. As long as there is a status report on the cache page, and you stick to the posted timetable everything should be fine.

Edited by wimseyguy

I have temporarily disabled a vanished cache which I own. My intent was to replace it, but I unexpectedly had to leave town due to a family medical emergency. I will be away for a month. I would prefer to replace the cache and keep the continuity rather than permanently archive it and start over with a new cache when I am able. Is five weeks (the cache has already been down for a week) too long for a temporary disable?

Life happens. That's why I've decided that "temporary" is anything less than a year. After all Life outside of caching takes first priorty. 5 weeks is nothing.