Need help downloading

Jedi Cacher

I just became a premium member last week to support geocaching and make it a little bit easier accessing the information. So far it has been a real time saver for geocaching. I am ready to hit the trail this afternoon and have all my coordinates ready for caching. There are some benchmarks in the area but cannot download the LOC files to my GPS. I noticed that there are several applications for doing this. I do not have a PDA yet so which application do I use to download my benchmark coordinates to my GPS? Thanks! ;)

Jedi Cacher -

The simplest software to use for that is EasyGPS.

Thanks for the info. :D I was wondering if the EasyGPS program is compatible with the LOC files? I don't know exactly how it works.

It does sound like allot of cachers are going with the GSAK program like A Tapeworm suggested. There are many benchmarks in my area and it has got to be allot better then entering all the coordinates by hand.

Thanks for the info. :D I was wondering if the EasyGPS program is compatible with the LOC files? I don't know exactly how it works.

It does sound like allot of cachers are going with the GSAK program like A Tapeworm suggested. There are many benchmarks in my area and it has got to be allot better then entering all the coordinates by hand.

Another vote for GSAK here.

I've worked out the procedure with a bit of practice and now I can get a full county into GSAK in about 2 minutes.

1) get the county download from NOAA

2) run it through BMGPX (this creates a Loc file)

3) create an empty database in GSAK, name it SS Ccccccc (as in "NJ Bergen")

4) load the Loc file

Done

I also use GSAK to track my Finds, DNFs etc. and to load my Google Maps. Plus to load my GPS (remember loading the GPS?) when I'm set to go out.

Good stuff.

Okay, stupid question time.. for me at least, heheh....

How do you get the county maps from NOAA?

I'm also a premie member here & I thought it would be faster to just DL the locs local to the area I'm looking for. Or does the maps list BMs that GC doesnt have?

I also use GSAK, about the only thing my very old Prism Visor can support.

I've worked out the procedure with a bit of practice and now I can get a full county into GSAK in about 2 minutes.

1) get the county download from NOAA....

How do you get the county maps from NOAA?

The county download referred to is actually a listing of BMs by county, available here.

I don't believe NOAA offers county maps. To get user-friendly maps, use this site - a great tool unless you've got a dial-up connection!