Garmin Topo V2 help needed

I hope somebody can help me.

I have Garmin Topo V2 map source loaded on my PC. I am going to Brittany in two weeks and found a web site where some guy had put free topo maps he said you could use with mapsource.

I downloaded his maps zipped, then unzipped them. I tried to open it and mapsource came up with error message.

"Mapsource is unable to open there is a problem with the registry please reinstall"

I did this and then when I got to the part in installation process of enter unlock code it said

"there is a problem with the unlock wizard registry please reinstall unlock wizard registry"

I have tried deleting every last bit of topo, switching on off and reloading it etc same message every time.

I fear I have tried to use illegal software and am being punished or this free software had a virus.

I did not realise this was illegal or risky. Please could anyone help me sort this problem out.

Thanks for reading

Paul

Jerry

please could you tell me how to do that if it is not too much trouble, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

There is a Windows XP facility called System Restore. If you have Windows XP this might be worth a try. Click on Start, then click Help and Support Centre, then search for "system restore overview" which will give you a couple of links. Check it out, fingers crossed this might work for you. The facility can be switched off though, so you might not have any restore points to go back to. The system restore wizard should go through that for you anyway.

Fingers crossed!

TFB

The mapsource programme is mine I prurchased it, the problem is I downloaded Free software of Britanny maps on my PC, tried to open them with Mapsource and caused map source to stop working.

Jerryo and Stuey I have tried system restore but it does not work even though windows xp creates a checkpoint daily. When I do it the computer restarts then says Unable to system restore.

I am pretty useless with Pc s but managed to search my C hard drive and found some of the files that are causing the problem however when I try to delete them it says "This file may be in use by another person or programme cannot delete!"

So I have tried starting my Pc from a time before I got this dumb programme and also deleting it but neither works.

Can anyone help further, I realise I have done wrong getting these snide maps but I am being punished unfairly and am going mad.

Thanks for all previous help

Paul

It looks very much like you have downloaded a virus of some kind. First run a full scan with your antivirus software. All if you have several (Adware, Spyware ect) with your fingers tightly crossed.

There is usually some hint as to the programme (which has been inadvertently downloaded) as to its name. If or when you find something that should not be on your PC or a programme that's acting up or won't be un-installed then run a check on Google for a programme that will remove the virus.

Some viruses (Trojans) are very difficult to get rid of.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Regards Bernard

There are a number of reasons why the computer won’t roll back to an earlier configuration and they’re not always virus-related. Do you run anti-virus/spyware software? If not you should anyway and this may solve your problem. I use AVG (there’s free download from grisoft.com).

What’s happening when you try to remove the files is the computer thinks there’s a program that’s using them. You could download a program from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...t-Deleter.shtml

which when used with Windows Explorer (you okay with that?), will arrange to delete the files when the system starts up before it “thinks” you’re using them. You need to be careful that it’s ONLY the files you want to delete that you select with this program. Download it and “integrate it into the shell” as it says. Shut down and that should kill them. DON’T do it if you’re not happy: it may be worth paying a technician rather than risking stuff.

You may also have corrupt registry entries which can be fixed – usually at a price – by a “registry fixing” bit of software. I’ve used Registry Mechanic for that. Others exist. The registry is a sort of file area where the computer looks to see how it should run the system software and it tells it what to do – a bit like a virtual brain/library.

If you check back in time with the restore option, there may be points other than system checkpoints (eg when you’ve installed programs) that the system may roll back to.

I had another idea too: back in a tick:

You could do the registry yourself. Being ULTRA careful.

Do:

Start

Run

Type “regedit” (no quotes) in the text box

Click OK

You should get a similar thing to Windows Explorer. If it looks very complicated, click the “-” boxes near the lines and collapse the branches then:

Click on the + near HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Click on the + near SOFTWARE

Click on the + near GARMIN

RIGHT click (once) on UnlockWizard itself (not the +)

Select “delete” from the menu and delete it and the keys as it says.

Then similarly navigate back to where it says HKEY_CURRENT_USER (collapse the trees by clicking the “-” near the lines) and do this:

Click on the + near HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Click on the + near SOFTWARE

Click on the + near GARMIN

RIGHT click (once) on UnlockWizard itself (not the +)

Select “delete” from the menu and delete it and the keys as it says.

This will delete the unlock wizard registry entries it was on about and either:

• Work and you can reinstall Topo and possibly you’ll need to do other Garmin products you may have

• Not do anything

• Screw up the registry and you may make things worse.

This is all I can suggest online I’m afraid.

BEFORE you do this, however, download Erunt from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html and you can actually back up the registry first and undo any changes by following its instructions.

Good luck and I’d like to know so PM me if you like or email thru profile.

J

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Jerryo I thought you had the right idea about making sure I wiped every last trace of Garmin from the PC before reloading it

However I was too scared to make things worse . So I got in touch with Tech support at garmin, they came back to me after two days, they told me to download an update from their website and try that,

however it failed.

I did get an error log message this time which I emailed to tech support and they replied the next day.

First they said remove programme which I knew how to do but they supplied instructions

Then they told me the same method almost word for word that Jerryo did to remove it from the registry, ( I should have done it when J told me four days ago)

then they also told me how to clear the temporary files out from the directory.

I did all this reloaded it and god bless them it worked. Excellent support I must say and I am grateful to MichaelB at Garmin.

Little did I know this was not the end of my self inflicted problems.

All I had to do now was re-enter my 25 digit code I got online when I first loaded the programme and registered it.

Unfortunately it was scrawled on the back of the CD insert in a style that would shame a dyslexic five year old. My handwriting was poor and it I had written the precious code in a pen, close to running out at 3 in the morning when I first loaded it.

My scrawled 25 digit code contained the following;

two Z,s that could be 2s

two Us that looked like Vs

and an S which could have been a five

The air turned blue, the dog ran for cover and my PC was lucky to avoid the wall!

After half an hour of level 3 puzzle cache code breaking I had not managed it.

In despair I tried online to get the code and found if I entered my email address, they simply sent me the code by return.

At last I had it and found that two of the letters I had written that appeared as Ls were in fact bloody Cs

Thankfully its all fixed now works perfectly, and I solemly swear I will never attempt to run a snide programme on my pc ever again.

If any one catches me asking wher to find free unauthorized software to run on a Garmin product, please feel free to shoot me!

Thanks again guys for all your suggestions, concern and help

Paulie

Edited by pauliesg

Good result. Well done.

It's probably due to a mismatch or something similar rather than a virus though, there are a lot of products on the market that can only be used with specific software/machines.

Cache well.

Psssst, wanna buy a map? :lol: