Geocoin Appraisers?

CacheNCarryMA

I obtained some geocoins on my recent trip to the Motherland (Washington state), and want the advice of you geocoin experts.

It's been disheartening to see geocoins that I own get stolen from caches, so I figure I'm better off spreading the love and just giving them away. Win-win. If I'm going to set 'em loose, better to pass the joy on.

I'm going to give some away locally and some more widespread. I'm trying to figure out the best way to passed them on.

My question is - to what extent are Groundspeak Lackey geocoins and Raine geocoins sought after? Do they ever turn up in caches? Or are they mainly passed/swapped?

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

That's encouraging to hear that they are valued. I hate to have coins just sitting in the bottom of my swag box. They need to be enjoyed by other cachers. I know if I let them loose in caches they eventually disappear. I'd rather give them away as event door prizes, etc.

Is a Raine geocoin more rare than a regular Groundspeak Lackey coin? I'm guessing yes.

I'll probably end up making them cointest prizes through one of my travel bugs ;)

Raine is one of the Groundspeak Lackeys. The coin is his personal coin.

Mine is special to me because Raine gave it to me himself. ;)

I have a Lackey and a Raine and don't think I will ever release them. Even if it was to pass from cacher to cacher. I am too afraid they would go missing. :D

You are very generous to want to give yours away. ;)

I would love to get a Lackey coin. One of them has yet arrive in the Netherlands. The coin would visit all Dutch events for everyone to discover.

tot cache,

team Wij Drie ;)

My Raine coin is precious but the Lackey coin has been sitting in my collection too long. Wij Drie, I will send you my Lackey coin if you promise to be nice to it and take it to events.

No, no, no. They have it all wrong. The Lackey and Raine coins are absolutely worthless, no one wants them. :sad:B):D:sad:

You should just send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. :sad::D:sad:

Windrose

Worthless ya that's right but you could always send them to me at least they would stay here in MA ;) Would be glad to take them around to event's to share ;)

We could never release our Lackey into the wild. We do however bring it to events (and non sanctioned events) to be discovered. Don't have a Raine coin nor have we seen one, but we do have a Rothstafari coin (which also will stay in our collection because it was a gift from Bryan).

I have received a few emails and PMs asking if I would like to trade the lackey geocoins.

In the interest of fairness and amusement for all, I am awarding the coins to geocachers through a contest. Please see my travel bug "LOOK AT ME!!!" if you are interested. However, please do not post notes on the travel bug page. Questions and comments should be posted here in the forums.

All geocachers who watch my travel bug are eligible to win the coins. I can ship internationally. Dutch riddles are welcome...as long as they are funny and submitted in English. :)

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

One more thing I'd like to mention. The Groundspeak Lackey geocoin currently belongs to Signal the Frog, but I was told at Groundspeak that the ownership can be transferred whenever I want. The Raine coin is currently unactivated.

How does one go about requesting that the ownership be transferred? I have one and I would like to adopt it so I can get that pesky "you've had this coin 14 days" message off my page.

One more thing I'd like to mention. The Groundspeak Lackey geocoin currently belongs to Signal the Frog, but I was told at Groundspeak that the ownership can be transferred whenever I want. The Raine coin is currently unactivated.

How does one go about requesting that the ownership be transferred? I have one and I would like to adopt it so I can get that pesky "you've had this coin 14 days" message off my page.

Send an email to contact@geocaching.com with the tracking code.

I have received a few emails and PMs asking if I would like to trade the lackey geocoins.

In the interest of fairness and amusement for all, I am awarding the coins to geocachers through a contest. Please see my travel bug "LOOK AT ME!!!" if you are interested. However, please do not post notes on the travel bug page. Questions and comments should be posted here in the forums.

All geocachers who watch my travel bug are eligible to win the coins. I can ship internationally. Dutch riddles are welcome...as long as they are funny and submitted in English. :P

Watching! :D Cool idea; thanks!

And somehow, I am not surprised at the identity (and the riddle) of the person who won the Raine coin.

Develop a reputation for giving them away and you'll get more!

Along with my personal coins I give away the Moun10Bike, Lackey, Raine and Reviewer coins I get, though I may keep them in my collection for a while to take to events, I figure they're made to travel, so I pass them on.

Knowing this, every time I see a Lackey at an event they give me new ones!

The same is true for highly sought-after personal coins - folks are much more willing to give you their coin when they know that it won't be sold and that you will pass it on to another cacher rather than keep it in a collection.

As far as them surviving in the wild, not much chance, unfortunately! List one in a cache and there will be a stampede to get it, then it will disappear. :mad:

I would love to get a Lackey coin. One of them has yet arrive in the Netherlands. The coin would visit all Dutch events for everyone to discover.

tot cache,

team Wij Drie :mad:

My Raine coin is precious but the Lackey coin has been sitting in my collection too long. Wij Drie, I will send you my Lackey coin if you promise to be nice to it and take it to events.

Now THAT is a truly genuine gesture and an excellent idea!!