Child cache ownership

i'm a fairly decent speller. i'm also good with grammar (did you ever end up in a relationship with someone because you shared a love of grammar?), and i understand how to use reflexive pronouns. i also check my posts and logs for agreement of number and tense.

i know it's against a number of stylebooks, but i often tell stories in the present tense instead of the past.

my pet peeve is people who hear common expressions, don't really understand them and therefore don't actually know the words. then they use the expression, using the words they imagine to be correct. and nu-cu-lar? don't get me started.

i rarely use spellchecker in word processing, but if i'm not certain of a spelling, i use dictionary.com. it is more thorough and current than any dictionary in my house and easier to use, too. it isn't computers that are making us stupider.

likewise, if i am uncertain of a grammatical construct or an idiom, i look them up.

and i'm sorry, captain blackbeard. you may be you own spellchecker, but who checks your punctuation?

flask,

My pet peve is people that refuse to use proper capitalization. :unsure:

Just ribbing you, but if you are going to be so strict on spelling, grammar, agreement on number and tense, and pronunciation why throw out capitalization?

DudleyGrunt

<Posted before I read entire thread. Shame on me. But if you have a reason for your lack of capitalization, could you be a little less judgemental on others? Especially when it comes to pronunciaton and accents?>

Edited by DudleyGrunt

when someone makes their spelling, grammar, or punctuation part of the discussion, to my mind that makes them fair game. otherwise i don't bother, since it is a person's ideas that are the important thing.

if you try to make a point based on you care in proofreading or your proper usage and your post contains errors other than typos, i'll be all over that like a duck on a june bug.

when someone makes their spelling, grammar, or punctuation part of the discussion, to my mind that makes them fair game. otherwise i don't bother, since it is a person's ideas that are the important thing.

if you try to make a point based on you care in proofreading or your proper usage and your post contains errors other than typos, i'll be all over that like a duck on a june bug.

Nobody did that. Lets go over my post in using small words you can understand.

I never use a spellchecker, I AM my spell checker.

When I bought my first computer, used, it had a spellchecker for e-mail and I used it for every letter I wrote. It would constantly stop for abbreviations, names it didn't know and the like, but it was still nice.

When I upgraded to a new computer I lost the spellchecker. I tried to find one but my computer skills are not that great, I still can't use photoshop, and I failed. So I started proofreading my own spelling. Errors still slip through but by not relying on a spellcheckere now my skills have greatly improved, and so will the nine year old kids if s/he learns to proofread without spellcheck.

When I placed my first cache I had to edit the listing at least three times to fix spelling errors, for some reason they are much harder to spot on the listing page but show up much better on the cache page.

Now if I was here bragging about my great proofreading skills, as you erroneously believe, why would I post that?

Because it is tough to proofread your own writing, someone else will spot your mistakes much easier than you will spot your own. All of this was an introduction to the advice I posted, which you are unable to read for some reason.

As already stated, I think, let the words be his but proofread it with him to correct spelling errors.

I personally wouldn't worry about grammer as much as long as it isn't confusing to read, he is a child so let the page read as he wants.

And there it is, let the child write the cache page as s/he want it, and just proofread it for spelling errors. Correcting the grammer to much will change the "feel" of the writing, and it will no longer read like it was written by a 9 year old.

To put it politely flask, you were dead wrong, and on top of that you are not a nice person. You are to quick to see the worst and to eager to show how perfect you are, in terspersed with comments about how rough your life has been.

You've lost a potential friend in this thread, I hope it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside to know that.

didn't you say you weren't going to answer me?

i win! i win!

*happy little dance*

NEVER reply to me again.

i dare you. double dog dare you.

harrassment! i'm being harassed!

do you get the feeling only one of us is taking this seriously? if you'll excuse me, i have to go edit out some comma-splices and a little problem with pronoun referent.

i'm a fairly decent speller. i'm also good with grammar (did you ever end up in a relationship with someone because you shared a love of grammar?), and i understand how to use reflexive pronouns. i also check my posts and logs for agreement of number and tense.

i know it's against a number of stylebooks, but i often tell stories in the present tense instead of the past.

my pet peeve is people who hear common expressions, don't really understand them and therefore don't actually know the words. then they use the expression, using the words they imagine to be correct. and nu-cu-lar? don't get me started.

i rarely use spellchecker in word processing, but if i'm not certain of a spelling, i use dictionary.com. it is more thorough and current than any dictionary in my house and easier to use, too. it isn't computers that are making us stupider.

likewise, if i am uncertain of a grammatical construct or an idiom, i look them up.

and i'm sorry, captain blackbeard. you may be you own spellchecker, but who checks your punctuation?

flask,

My pet peve is people that refuse to use proper capitalization. :)

Just ribbing you, but if you are going to be so strict on spelling, grammar, agreement on number and tense, and pronunciation why throw out capitalization?

DudleyGrunt

<Posted before I read entire thread. Shame on me. But if you have a reason for your lack of capitalization, could you be a little less judgemental on others? Especially when it comes to pronunciaton and accents?>

Thaniks for trying Dudley, posters like flask are why I seldom post in Forums anymore. A few years ago when someone challenged me I would rip them apart, I lost count of the posters, newbies and veterans, who left the Forum after tangleing with me.

Then I woke up and didn't like what I was doing to other posters and I've tried to steer clear of disagreements since, mainly by seldom posting advice to provide food for the vultures. Others can argiue if they like, I just want to post in peace. Seems that is to much to ask. flask should feel honored I responded at all, even if I did pull my punches considerably.

flask should feel honored I responded at all, even if I did pull my punches considerably.

you pulled punches? i was being gentle because i figured you were unarmed!

anyhoo...

i don't care if you like me or not. and i don't want your pity or even sympathy. mine is NOT a rough life. mine is a life of ease and privilege.

but what puzzles me is that you are familiar with my other posts. i don't care about you enough to read your other posts or your profile so i wouldn't know what to expect. you have a thin skin and i kind of backed off because i was only toying with you. i don't feel honored, but you were good for a few hours of entertainment.

then again, so's a comic book.

As an educator and mother of a nine year old (also almost fourth grade), I would advocate for using whatever system your child has learned to work the piece of writing through the writing process. Although my daughter moans and groans when I do that to her at home, the end result is a polished piece of writing.

Perhap a friend of similar age could also proof read and if you are on summer break you could maybe email it to your child's teacher and the teacher may be willing to email it back with corrections (or snail mail it).

As an educator and mother of a nine year old (also almost fourth grade), I would advocate for using whatever system your child has learned to work the piece of writing through the writing process. Although my daughter moans and groans when I do that to her at home, the end result is a polished piece of writing.

Perhap a friend of similar age could also proof read and if you are on summer break you could maybe email it to your child's teacher and the teacher may be willing to email it back with corrections (or snail mail it).

i wouldn't ask my dentist to have a quick look at my teeth while he was on vacation.

there's a lot i'm willing to do for my students, the school, and the community at large, but correcting papers over the summer isn't one of them. moreover, i don't check my school email during july and august. my students do not have my home email address, nor my mailing address, so if you sent things to me to be checked during the summer, they would get answered promptly in september.

i do recommend enlisting the help fo an adult friend, or (as i think the OP is considering), going over it with the kid yourself.

Let him spell things wrong, then when he knows how to spell the words right, he will go back and fix them.

It probably a good thing to monitor all of his geocaching.com usage because sometimes kids don't get the whole hinting sha-bang. In other words, he might give away an important secret of the cache in his log process. Ex. "As we looked under the log..."