How long between finds

I have a very nice two-stop multi-stage GCRZGZ that hasn't been found, logged or even looked for in seven months.

It isn't a drive-by, and does require a short but vigorous climb to reach the second/final stage. I suppose a little exercise is too much for some, but I'm 60 and I not only placed it, but check on it regularly. So it's not TOO daunting.

Anyway, would any of you remove it due to lack of interest, or not? There's no effort to leaving it there, and the view really is worth it for anyone who likes to search more than ten feet from their car. Or does that sentence provide my own answer?

What say y'all?

GCKRHK - DEVIL'S RIVER STATE PARK, placed 11/26/2005. It has 6 finds as of today. I was 3rd to find July 3, 2005. There is a TB in the cache that someone dropped off. I imagine it's one lonely TB.

Another remote cache in Texas, but in a great spot almost in the middle of nowhere. It was 22 miles from pavement to the Park, down a dusty gravel road in July. Gorgeous scenery and cold river!!! 4WD is nice, but not necessary to get to the park... Crossing the river? Better put it in 4WD. This one sure doesn't need archiving, just some cachers willing to go the extra mile(s). :(

What say y'all?

Hey, you claimed that spot first so, unless you'd like to recycle the ammo can or something I'd say definitely leave it! I see that the next nearest cache to your multi is 0.5 mile away. Maybe placing another less strenuous hide close to this one might lure a few more folks out there - just a thought. :(

I'll add another to the "keep it" pile.

I own a cache that hasn't had a find in over a year. A couple of kayak caches that average 2 finds a year. Another hide that has had a first to find and not another find. Eventually someone will enjoy the adventure and the view. As long as you're not hankering to use the container elsewhere, just leave it be.

Thanks to all of you for confirming my own inclinations. It stays.

It really is a good cache, great view, full of nice goodies, a tricky first stage and a rewarding second. (Besides, who could bear to lose an identifier as cool as RZGZ?)

Yup, to good to die. I think I just might plant a second one nearby as a lure to this one. I have yet another unique container to add to my Czech's Cache series anyway...

Thanks to all of you for confirming my own inclinations. It stays.

It really is a good cache, great view, full of nice goodies, a tricky first stage and a rewarding second. (Besides, who could bear to lose an identifier as cool as RZGZ?)

Yup, to good to die. I think I just might plant a second one nearby as a lure to this one. I have yet another unique container to add to my Czech's Cache series anyway...

That is what I would do. I would plant a second, or third, one nearby. Lately that is what I have done when I have put out a difficult-to-get-to cache. I've even been putting out caches at the parking spots, if that is hard to figure out.

I figure the only way someone is going to get to some of my caches is if there are a few others along the trail as an additional "award." ;)

To tell you the truth, I've sort of morphed into a placer rather than a finder. I logged 200 finds my first year, 50 the second and only about six so far this year.

But I delight in constructing one-of-a-kind cache containers. My Czech's Cache series has no two alike, and I have several more in construction - all different. Only a few are traditional containers (the multi in discussion is the only ammo box) and there are no film container micros or other too-common ones. I try to match the container to the hide spot. I can't give descriptive examples here, but those who have found them are almost universally thrilled. Brag mode off.

Thanks for the compliment.

With the proliferation of urban caches, some newer geocachers don't realize the joy of finding a really nice cache! They see all these micro caches and think that is what geocaching is all about, and often start placing caches just like what they have been finding.

Please continue to put out quality caches... geocaching needs more placers like you!

Lack of a find shouldn't be a reason to archive - especially if the cache is indeed still there.

In Texas, the summers are brutal - heat, skeeters, Poison Ivy, snakes, marshes, - so some caches can easily go for 6+ months without a find.

There is a challenging series of caches in a heavily wooded area near downtown Dallas (GCM07J) that hadn't been found in almost two years. The terrain is intimidating and it is off the beaten path. They were so close to home and kept coming up in my proximity searches. They were taunting me. Finally, I decided, I had to try and find them. I had some dialog with the owner who gave me a hint out of concern that the first cache of the series might really be gone after all of this time.

There was something very cool about finding the the caches in pristine condition and logging them after a two-year gap in activity. They are excellent hides in a beautiful area. The search is still one of my favorite caching adventures. The owner and a couple other folks made it out to the series after my find but before the summer came and made the hunt all but impossible for another 6 months.

I'm not sure I would archive a cache after any period of no finds, as long as there are not DNFs. I recently found one that has no finds in more than six months(if I remember correctly), and may not have any others for as long. I thing this is just a reflection on the way new players are Caching(urban) and all the hiking Cachers in the area have already found it. The one I mentioned is a few hundred miles from home. At some point some out of town hiker will visit, or a new hiker will join in the area.