Airplane

Just a question, perhaps it is asked too often... but I don't know. Are GPSrs allowed in your carry-on luggage on an airplane? I know that they don't emit any signals, and that they just receive, and calculate location, but do the airlines know that? I'm going on a trip today, I want to cache, but I don't know whether I should pack it in my checked bag or my carry-on bag.

Just a question, perhaps it is asked too often... but I don't know. Are GPSrs allowed in your carry-on luggage on an airplane? I know that they don't emit any signals, and that they just receive, and calculate location, but do the airlines know that? I'm going on a trip today, I want to cache, but I don't know whether I should pack it in my checked bag or my carry-on bag.

As far as I know, you can take it out and use it during the flight, but they won't care what kind of device it is during takeoff and landing.... they say "please turn off all personal electronics....."

Of course, you could probably get away with having it on during takeoff and landing (for tracking and trip computer data), just don't sit there holding it in your hand....

I took mine to Hawaii and had no trouble with security or the airline. It was in my carry on and I did not use it on the flight. The airlines vary in their policies of actually using the GPSR during the flight, but I'm not aware of restrictions that prevent you from having it in your carry on.

Check the following for current permitted items in carry on luggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/pro...ited-items.shtm

I did write to the TSA, GPS units fall under PDA's

I have taken my GPS on the plane before. No problems with TSA. Have a great trip.

Official sponsor of Podcacher.com 2007 geocaching tour

I took mine on Southwest 2 weeks ago down to phoenix. No problems going there or coming back. They did mention on one flight that GPS units were NOT allowed to be turned on during the flight. I believe the guidelines in the magazines also mentioned the same thing. You won't get much of a signal anyways unless you're right next to a window. :(

You cannot use during landing and takeoff, but I used mine on United going cross-country and back. I just turned it on when up to cruiseing level. Didn't ask. Even showed the stewardess where we were on it and all the features including altitude, and ETA, and speed. She thought it was fun to see.

Just because it is not listed on the TSA list of things that can't be taken on or is listed as acceptable, does not mean that it will be allowed through security.

All TSAs (at the airports) are different. It really depends on how they perceive the item in question.

That said, I only had one issue with taking it through the security. All I had to do was tell them what it was and I even showed them the GEOCACHING information sheet. They said no problem after that. They were more curious than anything.

I have actuall been on a couple planes and the stewards had a GPS on that they were showing the passengers.

No problems.

Check the following for current permitted items in carry on luggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/pro...ited-items.shtm

I did write to the TSA, GPS units fall under PDA's

I have taken my GPS on the plane before. No problems with TSA. Have a great trip.

Official sponsor of Podcacher.com 2007 geocaching tour

I took mine on Southwest 2 weeks ago down to phoenix. No problems going there or coming back. They did mention on one flight that GPS units were NOT allowed to be turned on during the flight. I believe the guidelines in the magazines also mentioned the same thing. You won't get much of a signal anyways unless you're right next to a window. :laughing:

Two weeks ago, I was on a Delta flight from Chicago to New York. I had my eTrex Legend next to the window trying to get a signal. I had it on for two minutes and the stewardess told me the same thing, "GPS units were NOT allowed to be turned on during the flight."

I took mine on Southwest 2 weeks ago down to phoenix. No problems going there or coming back. They did mention on one flight that GPS units were NOT allowed to be turned on during the flight. I believe the guidelines in the magazines also mentioned the same thing. You won't get much of a signal anyways unless you're right next to a window. :D

Two weeks ago, I was on a Delta flight from Chicago to New York. I had my eTrex Legend next to the window trying to get a signal. I had it on for two minutes and the stewardess told me the same thing, "GPS units were NOT allowed to be turned on during the flight."

It seems so silly. A GPSr is a receiver. If it's receiving a signal, then that signal is there passing through the plane anyway. They don't transmit.

I'm going to try taking one on a West Jet flight in a couple weeks because I really like to know exactly what it is I'm flying over and those seat back screens are too crude.

I had a flight attendant make me put my PocketPC/Phone away one time because phones weren't allowed to be used in flight. I explained to her that it was in airplane mode and was note emitting a signal, I was using it as an MP3 player.

She looked at me for a few seconds and then just told me again "Sir, you'll have to put your cell phone away." I just put it away and didn't argue with her.

Oh well... :D

Tim

My wife and I went to Europe this past April. We flew from Toronto, Canada to London, England and we brought the GPSr in our carry-ons. No one said anything about it. Ditto on our flights from France to Scotland and from Scotland back to London.

It's really no different than having a cell phone or PDA in your carry-on and, if you don't use it, then what's the problem. If they ask you to turn it on, then do it, and you'll have no trouble.

I've often wondered about this. I have taken my GPS on carry-on before, however I've never used it in the flight.

I know it doesn't transmit any signals, however I believe there is a different threat they are worried about. If people know EXACTLY where they are, it would make it a lot easier for events like 9/11 to be executed. Just a thought, but not sure if it's true or not.

I sure hope I can use my smartphone on my flight in a week with the phone turned off so I can watch some movies :unsure: Maybe I'll have to paint it white to look like an ipod lol

There's a list somewhere out there that lists the various airlines that let you use them in flight and which ones don't. TSA shouldn't have a problem, but then again, TSA at some airports is on such a power trip they basically will do whatever they please.

Lufthansa is one of those that prohibits them in flight, so I won't be able to use it on the flights for my vacation this year :unsure:.

The technical reason for not using a GPS on a plane would be that the internal local oscillator in the GPS, which is used to make the radio receiver in the unit, could interfere with signals in the plane's electrical system. All electronic devices transmit, even if it's unintentional.

But usually, a laptop (which is allowed, or they'd loose all commercial passengers) transmits much more, as the power is higher, compared to the low power level in a small GPS.

I've been asked to turn off my GPS more than once. At one time, the flight attendant said that I could only use such a device if it was in flight mode. She had a QTek herself, she said, so she knew these things very well. So I showed her the Preference - Usage mode in my iQue 3600a. As we were in a plane, it was set to "Aviation". All right, then it's OK, she said.

For those unfamiliar with this particular model (it's rather rare), the iQue 3600a is a combined PDA and automotive/aviaton GPS. To utilize the aviation related features, you set it to aviation mode, where it still works as a navigator, of course.

Just look on the website of the airline you plan to use. Buried deep in there are lists of permitted and forbidden devices that can be used on flights. Usually these is more extensive than what is listed in their inflight magazines.

I was on a Delta flight last summer. After reaching cruise altitude, I told the attendant that I would like to use my gps. She said no. However, I was prepared. I whipped out a printout of their webpage that showed the gps as a permitted device. Seeing that, she relented, and let me use it. No problem.

Some airlines do. Some don't. You have to look it up to find out. If there is ever a question, you can request that they ask the captain. I have never heard of a captain saying no unless it is a clear policy.

This is not a TSA issue. It's up to the airlines.

This is not a TSA issue. It's up to the airlines.

I'm also fining this is true. I was on an America West/USAir flight from Phoenix to Oakland 2 weeks ago, and when I asked, the attendant said no, but...she also said to always ask as every airline is different. On the way back on Southwest, the magazine specifically said NO, so I didn't even ask. I can let you know what I find after I fly to NY on United on Saturday.

Oooh, lookie, my first post :)

Cheers,

TCDad :laughing:

Just look on the website of the airline you plan to use. Buried deep in there are lists of permitted and forbidden devices that can be used on flights. Usually these is more extensive than what is listed in their inflight magazines.

I was on a Delta flight last summer. After reaching cruise altitude, I told the attendant that I would like to use my gps. She said no. However, I was prepared. I whipped out a printout of their webpage that showed the gps as a permitted device. Seeing that, she relented, and let me use it. No problem.

Hint: Use their Web site's search box and enter the word "electronic". This usually finds the appropriate information quickly.

DELTA'S WEB SITE says:

You can use these while the plane is at the gate with the doors open, after the plane has taken off and reached its cruising altitude and before it begins to descend for landing, and after the plane has landed and is taxiing to the gate.

º Personal digital assistants

º Personal computer games

º GPS (global positioning satellite) systems

Your flight attendant will announce when it is safe to use these devices.

The FA's word is god on the airplane.

No - The CAPTAIN'S word is God on the airplane - period. exclaimation point! If a flight attendant says no, ask the captain :D

Edited by Neo_Geo
No - The CAPTAIN'S word is God on the airplane - period. exclaimation point! If a flight attendant says no, ask the captain :D
Agreed. If the captain says no, don't even bother to show him or her the in-flight magazine or web link saying it is okay. It really doesn't matter. If the captain wants it off, it stays off.

No - The CAPTAIN'S word is God on the airplane - period. exclaimation point! If a flight attendant says no, ask the captain :blink:

Ok, yeah, that's true. However, the captain's often hidden behind a locked door, so asking him can be tough. And I don't really recommend dashing up from row 35 to knock on the door to ask him either :rolleyes:.

I've used mine on Delta, American and USAIR. I'm one of those who love window seats, and turn it on while still at the gate. Very interesting to see where you are heading while still on the ground, takeoff speed, and then altitude (but American was not at all accurate--must have something to do with the cabin pressure) plus ground speed. Never was told to turn it off. It's interesting to see what you are passing over.

I used my map60cx on four flights across country and back. Cruising height was about 39,000'. I was interested in the cabin pressure in relation to the altitude. The barometeric altimeter on my watch crept us up to about 6000' or so, which makes sense because people can start feeling the effects of altitude shortly after that at around 7000' or so.

All airline's rules are different. Delta allowed it on our way to and from Italy, and Qantas would not allow it's use on my way to and from Australia. On the way to Sydney, I asked a cabin attendant. He called the captain, and the answer came back "No!" Oh, well. Check your airline's website, but be prepared to ask, too. I have never had a problem with the TSA (Thousands Standing Around!), but each airline's policy is different. If they do allow use, an external antenna may make the difference between signal and no signal. I use a Gilsson with the little windshield bracket.

Tom

The barometeric altimeter on my watch crept us up to about 6000' or so, which makes sense because people can start feeling the effects of altitude shortly after that at around 7000' or so.

Saw something in the paper just recently that says recent studies (study?) show that on longer flights what's commonly used for pressure cabin can still cause mild forms of altitude sickness. They were actually recommending that the cabin pressure be set for a lower altitude (something that apparently the 787 will be doing).