GPXSonar not able to read all cache pages

celestialmom

Hi, I just started paperless caching a few weeks ago (THANKS to everyone who keeps bringing up how great and easy it is! Now that I finally got in gear and downloaded these programs, I am in geocaching HEAVEN!!!)

But I am having a problem with GPXSonar on my Axim--about 15% of the cache pages do not load when I click on their titles--I just get a neverending "wait" icon. Everything else works fine, but it seems like these are always caches in which I NEED to read the page to get to the cache. Not always multis or puzzles, just some sort of explanation is needed. It doesn't seem to be any particular type of cache, or have any pattern to the errors that I can see. (I think this is still a getting started post--sorry if this is the wrong forum!)

TIA,

Celestialmom

BTW, I've been lurking for a couple weeks and really appreciate how helpful (and humorous) you all are. I've gotten some good ideas and some good tech support from searching previous threads--thanks!

I don't know what is causing the problem because I don't know how GPXSonar handles the pages. Does it read HTML? If it does, it could be badly-written code that causes the hangup . . . :(

You might see if Cachemate for the PPC can open those problematic caches. You can try it out for free and load just the ten caches GPX Sonar cannot read to see if it will work.

I've used Cachemate on my Palm for more than two years and have never had a problem. :(

Now maybe someone more familiar with GPX Sonar can come along and help more specifically.

Thanks Miragee--I originally tried installing Cachemate for PPC on my Axim, but got an error before even installing, I think saying it wasn't a valid win32 application (it's been a while since I tried it). I have windows Vista and thought it might have something to do with that.

I do use gsak on my laptop, and that's how I'm transferring them.

Celestialmom

Well, I had to have my brother-in-law take apart the Axim because the internal battery was dead, so I have to reinstall everything anyway--maybe I'll try again with Cachemate (I did try the PPC version, but I'll check it out again...)

Thanks for your help. At least I know it's not something obviously easy like the questions I usually ask! :(

Well, I had to have my brother-in-law take apart the Axim because the internal battery was dead, so I have to reinstall everything anyway--maybe I'll try again with Cachemate (I did try the PPC version, but I'll check it out again...)

Thanks for your help. At least I know it's not something obviously easy like the questions I usually ask! :(

You are having a Windows Mobile Goofy Error.

The easy thing to try (and a dead battery will force this anyway) is to do a hard boot. The first program you want to install is GPXSoner. Then look at your cache pages. If it doesn't work. You have an issue (that you should not have) with the Axim/Windows Mobile/ and GPXSoner. If it does work. Then you have an issue with some piece of software that you are using interacting badly with GPXsonar. If you do, an older/newer version of the software and/or GPXSoner may cure the problem. If not, you can try cachemate or live without the software.

Case in Point (Goof Windows Mobile thing...)

I upgraded my PDA to WM 5. Then upgraded my software that needed it. Snoopsoft Dashboard needed to be upgraded. the old version didn't work with 5. the new version didn't work with My Password Program. I had to give up PDA security...or Dashboard. It took a little time to figure out it was dashboard that caused the issue.

So the final answer is...

It still doesn't work! But at least I have another road to take--I did another roundabout install (b/c of Vista and my old Axim, etc) and got Cachemate to work on my PPC. So those pages that GPXSonar couldn't read are viewable in Cachemate. Now I just gotta buy it...:-)

It is well worth the $8.00. As I mentioned, I have been using it on my Palm for more than two years now and have never had a problem. When I did some traveling last year, I think I had more than 3000 caches in different databases in Cachemate, so I was prepared, in case I had time to stop and do some caching. :(