How do you know someone is not going to rip you off here

One could argue the same about Ebay, garage sales, street vendors, or just about any not-from-the-manufacturer source.

Now, I've bought some stuff through a message board. Not often, but didn't get screwed over, anyway, but I've never gotten anything from here specifically. However, I DO have a suggestion if you're worried. Ask around! Do some searches on the message board. See if said person has sold anything else. See if there's been any bad feedback. Heck, send a PM to a few of the "regulars" of this forum and see if they know if X person is on the up-and-up.

EDIT: Wow... that first sentence in that paragraph is horrible. Guess that's what happens when I get distracted from typing like... 5 times in a row :laughing:

But first things first, I'd do a search of the message board, and probably google-search their geocaching name and see if it turns up anything unusual.

Generally though, if the person is an established member (ie: not a newbie member) who has made multiple sales in the past... I wouldn't be too worried offhand. See if you can somehow work it through a credit card (ie: get a money order or something) so that if the sale DOES go bad, you can (typically with most credit cards) get it refunded from there, and they will go after the guilty party. Not entirely sure how that'd work with a non-business though. Failing that... call your bank customer service line and see what they'd recommend to make it a "safe" transaction (or "safer", anyway).

Edited by Kabuthunk

One could argue the same about Ebay, garage sales, street vendors, or just about any not-from-the-manufacturer source.

Now, I've bought some stuff through a message board. Not often, but didn't get screwed over, anyway, but I've never gotten anything from here specifically. However, I DO have a suggestion if you're worried. Ask around! Do some searches on the message board. See if said person has sold anything else. See if there's been any bad feedback. Heck, send a PM to a few of the "regulars" of this forum and see if they know if X person is on the up-and-up.

EDIT: Wow... that first sentence in that paragraph is horrible. Guess that's what happens when I get distracted from typing like... 5 times in a row :laughing:

But first things first, I'd do a search of the message board, and probably google-search their geocaching name and see if it turns up anything unusual.

Generally though, if the person is an established member (ie: not a newbie member) who has made multiple sales in the past... I wouldn't be too worried offhand. See if you can somehow work it through a credit card (ie: get a money order or something) so that if the sale DOES go bad, you can (typically with most credit cards) get it refunded from there, and they will go after the guilty party. Not entirely sure how that'd work with a non-business though. Failing that... call your bank customer service line and see what they'd recommend to make it a "safe" transaction (or "safer", anyway).

Thanks. I feel better. :(

You just have to do your homework and if you don't feel comfortable with the seller, then don't buy.

I've bought and traded cigars on a cigar board for 6 or 7 years now, and have always gotten more than I bargained for. I've bought and sold telescopes on a telescope board and everything worked out OK. I've bought and sold concert tickets on a Buffett board and never been burned. I would not hesitate to buy or sell on this board...although, like I said, you need to do your homework. Many times if I'm doing a trade or sale with someone new, I'll ask for their name and Google it. You can also Google someone's email addy.

And you will notice that some sellers also post their ebay handle, which is helpful.

BTW, my wife still thinks that I'm crazy for buying and trading on internet forums. She is always amazed that I don't get screwed, and asks the same question as you.

Of course, the same can be said for the buyer... How well can the buyer be trusted?

My experiences have been nothing but good here. Geocachers are quick to point out disreputable sellers, be they commercial or garage sale and the bad guys don't get away with much once the word is out.

The gps could be broken or something, I want to buy a new one, but im scared about doing it here. :(

Caveat emptor.

I originally assumed that anyone warped enough to be geocaching would be sensible, honest, considerate, etc. After spending about 2 minutes reading messages exchanged on the board, considerate went by the wayside. After visiting the Garage Sale 4-5 times, I realized there are some people who are not warped geocachers like most of us, but merchants, who show up and sell their wares, sometimes getting shut down by the moderator. And among these merchants, there are a very few who appear to intentionally price their product higher than informed people would be willing to pay, apparently hoping to catch a neophyte. Many of the unrealistic prices, however, come from honest folks who don't realize that in the 37 days since they bought their GPSr, the price has dropped 30% and they set their price too high.

After surveying the board a couple months ago, I found that experienced users had almost always had satisfactory transactions.

As the other responders have pointed out, do your homework on what the product has been selling for recently on the board or EBay, do whatever it takes to satisfy yourself that the product is as advertised, and check out the seller, too, if you're real anxious.

I know the first thing i would do is ask for pictures of THEIR unit. for added security ask to see if they can add an object not included with the product picture such as a sock. and t make sure they would hand over the product ask around im sure someone you would more trust can tell you they are trustfull too.

On eBay you can check a persons feedback . . . brand new seller or thousands of sales . . . and make a decision. You're generally safe if a seller, or user, has lots of positive feedback.

While not the same thing, this might be something you can use. Check and see if somebody selling something here in the forums is a brand new member or has been around a while. Check to see if they have past posts or the sale item is a first post.

That said, I bought a Palm from another user here in the forums. It couldn't have gone better. When the seller SENDS the item and you receive it BEFORE you can get payment off to him, that's pretty trusting on his end. I think we were both satisfied.

JohnTee