Discovering TBs

jerryo

A similar thread came up recently but this post is to expand it a bit. I had an email from someone who attaches this note to their TBs:

There is nothing in <TB Name>’s goal statement about “discovery.” Therefore, all “discover” logs posted after <DATE> will be deleted. It is not necessary to trade to move this tag.

So they obviously and rather vehemently disapprove of “discovering” TBs. Personally I can see the point of discovering coins for the icons (if you actually see/handle them) but Tbs with their standard dog tags?

I think I agree with them, actually and might adopt the same stance. Anyone agree?

(I’ll give this six replies before wizzy starts up with the popcorn).

I can see at least one instance where Discover works. My 7 year old boy is now getting into caching and I've created an account for him. We go together, so when he gets a TB and I'm with him, I discover it and vice versa, whether it's a TB or a coin.

The thing that some people get irritated with is the large-scale Discovers at meets, I think & are totally against the entire concept.

Edited by IDLookout

I can see at least one instance where Discover works. My 7 year old boy is now getting into caching and I've created an account for him. We go together, so when he gets a TB and I'm with him, I discover it and vice versa, whether it's a TB or a coin.

The thing that some people get irritated with is the large-scale Discovers at meets, I think & are totally against the entire concept.

We do exactly the same with out seven year old daughter, one of us retrieves the coin or TB and the other discovers it. We always move them on as well. We have never just discovered something and left it in a cache. So I would be disappointed if discovered items were then deleted, I have seen items which when being logged have a message on their homepage saying if the coin is discovered at a meeting all logs will be deleted, I can understand that as I think the items should be moving around caches.

For once I think I might agree with you here J :laughing:

I don't mind anyone discovering Daniel, Jess and our Disco as obviously you can't take them away with you and place them into a cache. :o or even some thing extra special like a rare coin or a Jeep, that you may not come across regularly.

But if a TB is in a cache it is there to be moved on not to be discovered, I also feel the same about coins if you want that little icon on your list, shouldn't you do just a litlle bit to deserve it. :rolleyes:

What do you all think about putting a note on TBs saying that if it is only discovered your log will be deleted, I reckon that is a good idea, in the case of families you could say I have taken the TB/Coin to move it on but my son/daughter/wife ect was with me when I found it and his/her discovery note is below my log.

Just my opinion as usual, if you reply to my question lets try to keep it "nice"

Mandy :ph34r:

It's easier to delete the email telling you they discovered it than it is to delete their log. Who cares? Does it matter? At least you know the bug is still in circulation. :laughing:

If people only discover the TB rather than moving it, then it does matter and the TB's owner cares, particularly if the TB is in a cache that's rarely visited. Your last sentence is therefore slightly inaccurate as it should read "at least you know the bug is still in the cache box and hasn't moved." That's the point.

I don't understand why people discover TB's...

Coins is understandable, for the icons, I do it myself, but TB's? what a waste of time!!

Just move em on!

:laughing: I heard someone say popcorn so I popped in. :rolleyes:

IMMHO..the reason that I would have someone "discover" a TB is to let me know as the owner of said TB that the TB in fact still exists. Some people will choose to find a cache, but would rather not take the TB because they can't carry out it's goal..or because they know that they won't be caching for a while. I'm one of those people. I "discover" the TB's or coins..because it lets the owner know right away that their TB/Coin is still in the cache and not in some child's toybox.

Just my .02.

A similar thread came up recently but this post is to expand it a bit. I had an email from someone who attaches this note to their TBs:

There is nothing in <TB Name>’s goal statement about “discovery.” Therefore, all “discover” logs posted after <DATE> will be deleted. It is not necessary to trade to move this tag.

So they obviously and rather vehemently disapprove of “discovering” TBs. Personally I can see the point of discovering coins for the icons (if you actually see/handle them) but Tbs with their standard dog tags?

I think I agree with them, actually and might adopt the same stance. Anyone agree?

(I’ll give this six replies before wizzy starts up with the popcorn).

Hey..as a cache owner..they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. It's their right (regardless of how childish it may be.) Either way, if you refer to my earlier post...this person now has the satisfaction of *knowing* that their TB is still "alive and well"..but won't give the person who "discovered" it the credit for easing his/her mind about it's whereabouts.

Coins is understandable, for the icons, I do it myself, but TB's? what a waste of time!!

Just move em on!

I like to discover regular dog tag travel bugs. I only discover bugs or coins that I have held in my hand. This puts a list in my profile of all bugs I have held. If I ever want to see what ever happened to that TB I couldn't move I can click on the link in my profile. It's kind of like logging a DNF. It is a history of my caching. What does it hurt to discover a coin or a TB?

Edited by traildad

What does it hurt to discover a coin or a TB?

Because people use the lazy way to log a TB without making any effort to move it. In areas where this is an accepted practice, it gets out of hand. TBs that end up in the Bristol Airport TB hotel , for example, tend to languish there for months while cacher after cacher discover them, because they 'Can't help with goal' or 'we're not going the right direction this time'.

Half the time they don't even check the mission, but think it's appropriate for a TB to sit there for months just because nobody (for example) is heading to China.

Take a look at this TB. It belongs to a child who I'm sure would like to see it travel. It's been sat in that cache for over 2 months, while cacher after cacher discovers it. That's not an unusual situation for TBs that end up there, it just seems to be the accepted local way of doing things.

Thats what hurts to discover a coin or a TB!

Tigs

i do discover coins when there is one coin and more than one of us, as regards TB's what's the point? all you get is another one added to the TB's on the stats page! i don't pick them up often unlessi know i can help with the goal.

but then on the other hand life is too short to get annoyed or stir up trouble with people, just let them do it their own way, it doesn't hurt you to let them discover it and you do have it confirmed that it's there. :laughing:

Just move em on!

No you Don't Hazel :( .... You move every tb and coin to get the cacher of the month points :D:D:laughing:

What does it hurt to discover a coin or a TB?

Because people use the lazy way to log a TB without making any effort to move it. In areas where this is an accepted practice, it gets out of hand. TBs that end up in the Bristol Airport TB hotel , for example, tend to languish there for months while cacher after cacher discover them, because they 'Can't help with goal' or 'we're not going the right direction this time'.

Half the time they don't even check the mission, but think it's appropriate for a TB to sit there for months just because nobody (for example) is heading to China.

Take a look at this TB. It belongs to a child who I'm sure would like to see it travel. It's been sat in that cache for over 2 months, while cacher after cacher discovers it. That's not an unusual situation for TBs that end up there, it just seems to be the accepted local way of doing things.

Tigs

But surely that is more the fault of the accepted practice of TB hotels /motels /cafes / PRISONS.

I try to take bugs and clear out these hotels when i pass

Just move em on!

No you Don't Hazel :D .... You move every tb and coin to get the cacher of the month points :(:D:laughing:

Exactly my point Iain... I move them, not discover them!!!

I'm quite new to the world of TBs, and I'm always intruiged at the unwritten rules that grow out of geocaching (and about which not everyone agrees). I'd never thought about this until I saw this post.

I'm happy to see all kinds of logs. I'd much rather see a "discovered" log than nothing at all if someone isn't moving my TB on. At least I know it's still OK. (Of course best of all I'd rather they moved it on, but hey, you can't have everything ...)

One thing I find a bit odd is when people go on a trip and take a TB with them and dip it in and out of every cache they find. The TB isn't really "hitch-hiking", it's getting a personal chauffeur service. Is that considered naughty? Doesn't bother me, mind, just curious.

I do discover GC's and TB's but only in certain circimstances. If I'm caching with someone and they want the TB or I come across a TB hotel but dont want to take them all (in fact more and more TB hotel owners are getting a bit narked if all the TB's are cleared out these days - some insist on swapping TB's !!).

And lastly if I cannot help with its mission (i.e its wants to go in the opposite direction to me).

oh and GC's at meets - although I have only been to one meet and surprised at the number on offer for 'discovery'

as always - everyone plays the game their own way.

just my opinion. :laughing:

I've just gone through my "Discovered It" logs, most are for geocoins.

There are a few non-geocoin logs on there.

All but one are event type TBs, such as event flags, books, peoples cars, or TBs that are designed to stay in one cache.

I can only find one log for a TB I didn't move on, and that's coz it belongs to a friend and it had just reached it's destination cache.

I'm with the rest who say they'd prefer a "discovered it" log as opposed to nothing at all on my TBs.

As others have said I don't see the point of discovering regular TBs although I have done so for coins & Jeeps. As for discovering TBs when I find them with the kids, I don't do that either, one of us will retrieve it from the cache, the other will then grab it & then place it in the next cache.

Having said all that I wouldn't object my TBs being discovered as at least it shows that they're still around; I have one TB that was in a remote cache in Turkey for about 8 months, in that time a there was only one visitor - at least a "discovered" log would have confirmed that it was still there.

Bloody Hell!

This is supposed to be fun! Why is everybody so concerned with what other people do?

People should be left to play the game how they want to.

You guys are in danger of ruining it all with your 'unwritten rules' etc. You use this kind of post to point out how you are perfect, listing the proper way to do things. It's boring.

Chill out!

:laughing:

I would advise putting a note on the TB or coin page saying you would prefer that it is not discovered if that is what you wish as the owner. If someone ignores this then it would be a bit small minded to delete the log but it might reduce the number of "discovereds".

Bloody Hell!

This is supposed to be fun! Why is everybody so concerned with what other people do?

People should be left to play the game how they want to.

You guys are in danger of ruining it all with your 'unwritten rules' etc. You use this kind of post to point out how you are perfect, listing the proper way to do things. It's boring.

Chill out!

:laughing:

Calm down, dear, it's only a bit of chat :(

Tigs

So if everyone that likes to discover travel bugs go to that cache, and don't do a discover, the bugs are somehow better off? If I wanted to move a bug I would move it. If I don't want to move it I won't. I don't see where lazy enters into it. Do you think someone says "I'm too lazy to carry that TB around so I'll just discover it"? If you plan to cache again it is not extra work to take the bug with you. If you can't help it or want to leave some of the bugs for the next cacher, or won't be geocaching for a while, what does it hurt to discover it?

If you look at your own reference the bug was left there mostly because it was going a different direction than they were. Not discovering it would some how change that?

Edited by traildad

So if everyone that likes to discover travel bugs go to that cache, and don't do a discover, the bugs are somehow better off? If I wanted to move a bug I would move it. If I don't want to move it I won't. I don't see where lazy enters into it. Do you think someone says "I'm too lazy to carry that TB around so I'll just discover it"? If you plan to cache again it is not extra work to take the bug with you. If you can't help it or want to leave some of the bugs for the next cacher, or won't be geocaching for a while, what does it hurt to discover it?

If you look at your own reference the bug was left there mostly because it was going a different direction than they were. Not discovering it would some how change that?

I agree. And at least the TB owner has the benefit of knowing that it is still physically in the cache (sometimes people are on holiday and they move a bug but don't log it for a couple of weeks). If a bug tends to get "discovered" more than moved, it most likely indicates that the mission is a bit too narrowly-defined so that most people don't expect to be able to help it along in the near future.

I see three good reasons for "discovering" a bug rather than ignoring it.

1) to help the owner confirm the location and condition of the bug (even if it's just that it's OK but still in the same cache)

2) as a personal record that this is a bug you've seen (I often find a TB for a second time, but have to check that I've seen it before)

3) to let the owner know that the mission is turning out to be too difficult for many people (perhaps time to amend it).

It looks rather mean and rude for a TB owner to reject these helpful logs in this way.

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I would advise putting a note on the TB or coin page saying you would prefer that it is not discovered if that is what you wish as the owner. If someone ignores this then it would be a bit small minded to delete the log but it might reduce the number of "discovereds".

Ouch. I'm not sure about those across the pond..but here...there are some people (we've had this discussion before) that take great offense to someone putting that type of "restriction" on the cache page. Coincedentally, the coins or TB's that have those type of restrictions end up missing.

When you have children, or adults acting like children playing the game or discussing irrelevant rules in a forum such as this, you might want to reconsider what is really important to you. Either *not* allowing a TB to be discovered and not moved...or having a TB disappear.

Your choice.

When you have children, or adults acting like children playing the game or discussing irrelevant rules in a forum such as this, you might want to reconsider what is really important to you. Either *not* allowing a TB to be discovered and not moved...or having a TB disappear.

I thought we were supposed to be adults acting like children! :laughing: