Geocoins and swag, gone like a flash

The Moop Along

:):D:D

So, I get up this morning, like any other morning. I was initially happy, since last night was Poker Night, and I was the big winner :D So, I sauntered out to the car, parked at my girlfriends, only to find that all my stuff was gone :rolleyes:

Total loss is over $1500, including my GPSr, PDA, Digital Camera, Hiking Backpack, and Geocoins & Pathtags :o

The Geocoins weren't anything special, but they are not replaceable (i.e. sold out).

Just wanted to vent, perhaps ya'll have had similar stories of your geocoins being pilfered by vagrants :ph34r:

My day has been spent, and will continue to be spent working with the insurance company to recoup the best I can. Anyone wanna send me the solves to their puzzle caches that were in the GPSr? :laughing:

pm me your addy and will send you a couple of coins to get you going again :laughing:

i would rather give something away than have it stolen thats terrible .............. awaiting pm as i have to go to the post office today :rolleyes:

pm me your addy and will send you a couple of coins to get you going again :rolleyes:

i would rather give something away than have it stolen thats terrible .............. awaiting pm as i have to go to the post office today :ph34r:

Just to clarify one thing, as now that I'm rereading my first post. The geocoins I speak of were a Limited quantity of my TRADERS. My collection is safe. So, I'm not looking for donations, but thanks though :laughing: And, it was less than 10 coins too, just not sure which ones or how many were still in the car.

This would be a good time for all of you to add riders on your homeowner's policies to attempt to cover electronics and camera gear.

I learned this lesson several years back, when the same thing happened to me. I was at college (late blooming student!) and lost all books, notes, etc, camera, pda, scanner, gps, graphing calc, laptop and tools.

I only recieved $750.00, which was the max at the time.

Now...I am covered...well.

Keep a heck on all local pawn-shops. Chances are, the thieves don't do Ebay, but will try to sell localy for some quick change.

Oh Pete I am so sorry to hear that!

We just had something like that also. Our whole truck was stolen. :laughing: We did end up getting the truck back (police found abandoned on the side of road in north Atlanta) and some of the tools that were in it.

Here is what I did as soon as it was business hours in the morning I typed a list of the more valuable items that were in the truck and started faxing it to all the area pawn shops. Hubby uses the truck for work so it had lots of tools and stuff in it. Some of the tools have serial numbers (thank goodness I save all that). By that afternoon both us and the sheriff dept had received calls from some pawn shop owners, they had a few of the items. So if your PDA and GPSr have serial numbers you should start faxing the info to pawn shops all over your area....it is a lot of work but worth it if they find the items.

We too learned a hard lesson about theft insurance on the truck. We had an additional theft policy on it but little did we know that it would not even begin to cover the items inside. :rolleyes:

We did get the truck back and it did still have some tools left in it and we got most of the high dollar tools back from pawn shops but it still ended up costing us a good chuck of change.

Very sad day and week for us. I know exactly how you feel about it. I am sorry you are having to go through this. :ph34r:

:D:D:D

So, I get up this morning, like any other morning. I was initially happy, since last night was Poker Night, and I was the big winner :) So, I sauntered out to the car, parked at my girlfriends, only to find that all my stuff was gone :ph34r:

Total loss is over $1500, including my GPSr, PDA, Digital Camera, Hiking Backpack, and Geocoins & Pathtags :D

The Geocoins weren't anything special, but they are not replaceable (i.e. sold out).

Just wanted to vent, perhaps ya'll have had similar stories of your geocoins being pilfered by vagrants :o

My day has been spent, and will continue to be spent working with the insurance company to recoup the best I can. Anyone wanna send me the solves to their puzzle caches that were in the GPSr? :rolleyes:

OH MY... that just plain sucks!!!! i'm surprised that they would take the geocoins too... maybe they just threw them in a dumpster somewhere :D:laughing:

or - your girlfriend is playing a cruel joke on you

hopefully your auto insurance will cover the cost of your electronics, and maybe some money for the loss of the other irreplaceable things

At this point, the insurance company has offered to replace all the items that I can still buy. Apparently I am covered on my house policy for anything I carelessly leave in my car :) (with a small deductible even)

So, that only leaves me with a handful of geocoins, cache swag, and some CDs that are irreplaceable. I've spent the morning overnighting items to my house for tomorrow, in preparation for a caching trip this weekend (kinda need that stuff, eh?) :o Well, and honestly, the puzzle cache solves in my GPSr. That really kinda burns me, but that will teach me to save a copy online of all my long hours of puzzle work :laughing:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I've kinda been sick to my stomach worrying about it, and I just really need to go sign some dern logs and get smilies :ph34r: That always clears my mind. Oh, and if my girlfriend wanted my coins, she just has to ask :D At least they didn't get the special stock of traders set aside for gifts to her (don't tell her either) :rolleyes:

:laughing:

Now that's what I call an unfair trade. Did they leave any McToys in exchange even?

Seriously, I hope you have some success with recovering any/all of your stuff. PoS's reply sounds like such good advice that I think I'll get the serial numbers of all my gadgets tonight and collect it in one place.

Sorry that I can't help with the puzzle cache solutions for your area... care to come back to Raleigh? I've got a few down here solved for you.

That is absolutely terrible Pete! :laughing: Tom is always leaving stuff out on the seat and I just used your story to emphasize it again. (I know--nag, nag, nag) I sure hope that you can get some of your things back. When my car was broken into I found out that my homeowners deductible was $500 so it wasn't worth even filing a claim. Now if they wanted to steal my car that's ok--just not the stuff in it

Sound like Stepahanie has a great idea with the faxes too. I hope that I never have to use it though.

Just think though Pete your day can only go up from here.

Yah.. that really sucks..

On a side note. I have a used Garmin 60csx for sale, real cheap if anyone needs one. "Friend" of mine in Ohio sent it to me. :rolleyes:

#edit#

** I don't really have one for sale **

Adding this because I got a couple emails asking me what condition it was in :laughing:

Edited by Raine

or - your girlfriend is playing a cruel joke on you

Ok, I'll just go on the record saying I wasn't playing a cruel joke. I know how this man is with his coins, and I know better than to play a joke like this. Thanks.

Your internet is broken, you're not supposed to be online :laughing: Hehehhe. Hope you're feeling better :rolleyes:

My condolences, Pete. I've had a car of mine broken into in the past. Words cannot explain how it feels. I remember not even wanting to look at my car again, let alone drive it.

I think I might know where to look. I heard a guy down the street from you is fencing a used GPSr, PDA, and camera :laughing:

So sorry to hear the bad news, Moop. Even if you are able to get most of the items replaced, it is still frustrating to have to deal with, and then there is the feeling of having your personal space violated. I hope you can recover some, if not all, of the items. A new GPSr can be cool, but if you had a lot of personalized data/settings (like your puzzle coordinates or custom icons) it can also be a real drag to get the new unit caught up.

Enjoy your caching weekend - it can be cathartic!

Aw geez Moop. That stinks. Sorry for you. Hope the stuff turns up.

POS is right. I leave valuable things in my car all the time. Bad habit. Best to write down serial numbers of those valuable items. Could not affors to replace them.

And a good reminder to chekc with your insurance agent what is and isn't covered by homeowners & auto policies. It not as cut & dry as you think.

Moop - Cache On!

Wow, bummer! I know the feeling well.

f071d6b7-a6d5-4e75-9ad0-188260ad4256.jpg

Luckily, I was caching and had all the electronics with me, but they got my purse and a lot of money.

Days later, the cops found my purse, with some of my things in it.

Months later, hikers found my wallet, all cards intact, all money gone, and brought it by the house.

I can't get myself to want to go back to that park, and it's 500 acres and gorgeous.

I hope you get your things back. I felt so violated, and there I was, trying to show a photographer from CA some great caches. He stuck with me while I went through the cop ordeal, and we went on caching afterwards until dark and rain took over.

Wow, really sorry to hear about that. It really is a gamble to leave valuable things in a vehicle these days. Just over a month ago thieves broke into my roomate's vehicle (parked in our driveway) and stole his expensive mountain bike. Unfortunately he didn't have house insurance to cover it. :laughing: Hopefully the coins turn up. Maybe contact the local coin shops too in case the thieves try to sell them.

Man! Sorry to hear about that!!

There ain't nothing much more that I hate than an effen thief!!

:) Been a victim 2 times myself. :(

Someone once broke into my car and stole $1300 worth of stereo equipment & cassette "tapes" (dating myself aren't I :laughing::D )

Another time we had a break in at our storage building and they cleaned it out!!

Lost so much "personal" stuff that could never be replaced (Wife's Wedding dress & silk bouquet she carried at our wedding, Our daughter's nursery furniture & baby clothes, set of depression era glass dishes my wife's grandmother left her, all our Christmas decorations -including every handmade ornament our daughter had made in her 8 years!!, a hand carved doll craddle my grandad had made my daughter when she was born)

Plus a FULL mechanics set of Craftsman tools & rolling tool chest, a car engine & transmission for a Camaro I was rebuilding at the time, Air Compressor & (2) $200+ Paint Guns, 3 plastic totes full of various NASCAR collectable cars & trucks, & ALL of our camping equipment that we'd aquired over the previous 10 years!!

Never saw a single piece of anything every again!! :D

Unfortunately we were going through some rough times financially at the time and insurance wasn't a neccessity. :)

So we lost everything and didn't have any money to replace the replaceable stuff. :(

Glad your insurance company is gonna step up and help you out!!

-D-

Sorry to hear about your loss. We've been fortunate (no thefts), but my dad was not so lucky. My dad had his truck stolen when I was pregnant with Brenda. All that remained was a pile of glass (where they broke the window). My mom's Christmas present (jewelry) was in the truck. Of course it happened only a few days before Christmas! Two years later, the police recovered it in a chop shop...my dad had to ID it for them. Another time, someone broken into a different truck and stole a handfull of change that was in the cupholder and a cassette player (he was more upset about the cassette player, because he had one of the Harry Potter cassettes in there...pretty much made the rest of them worthless, since you could not listen to the whole story).

When the truck was stolen my dad's insurance was really good to him. He made an itemized list of what was in the truck (he had the recepit for the jewelry in his wallet, so he had proof that it was in the car), and what was not covered by the auto insurance was picked up by his homeowners. He throught that he had made a rather comprehensive list, but every once in awhile, he would remember something else that was in the truck.

I hope it all works out well for you!

At the request of GPSonSALE, this notice is to confirm that the following shipment has been delivered.

Important Delivery Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delivery Date / Time: 29-June-2007 / 9:43 AM

Driver Release Location: PORCH

WOOHOOOO! Now, to get home and fire it up. Damned work . . . :laughing:

At the request of GPSonSALE, this notice is to confirm that the following shipment has been delivered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOOHOOOO! Now, to get home and fire it up. Damned work . . . :laughing:

DANG!! That's impressively fast!

WOOHOOOO! Now, to get home and fire it up. Damned work . . . :(

hmmm, on the porch, eh? It's a good thing you didn't post your home coordinates too! :(

WOOHOOOO! Now, to get home and fire it up. Damned work . . . :(

DANG!! That's impressively fast!

$54 dollars worth of fast :(

hmmm, on the porch, eh? It's a good thing you didn't post your home coordinates too!

And yes, I noticed. Some people have them, but hopefully they'll let it sit there for another few hours :P

Kool that you got a new GPS so fast. I had this kinda happen to me last weekend. The bad part is that it was family and I don't know who. The only things they took was a few of my personal geocoins, and the Unite for Diabetes TB. I just got the TB in the mail last friday and was happy to see it get here after getting lost in the mail for a few months. Then on sat. we had a cook out for the family and it came up missing. My dad told me to lock up my geocoins or hide them or something so I locked them in one of my ammo cans. But forgot to put that the UfD TB in and my personal geocoins. I do have the renters insurance to cover up to over $10,000 more than what I own. I bump it up the $10,000 every year to cover what I buy in a year. I have not had to use it yet. I didn't see a reason to use it for $30 and a free TB but now I can't get any of the other free TB's because of it.

I hope you are able to get everything that you lost back. If one of them was one of mine let me know and I will send you another one from the trade we made. Also thanks for the trade.

Good Luck and Happy Caching, GeoSmurfz

Kool that you got a new GPS so fast. I had this kinda happen to me last weekend. The bad part is that it was family and I don't know who. The only things they took was a few of my personal geocoins, and the Unite for Diabetes TB. I just got the TB in the mail last friday and was happy to see it get here after getting lost in the mail for a few months. Then on sat. we had a cook out for the family and it came up missing. My dad told me to lock up my geocoins or hide them or something so I locked them in one of my ammo cans. But forgot to put that the UfD TB in and my personal geocoins. I do have the renters insurance to cover up to over $10,000 more than what I own. I bump it up the $10,000 every year to cover what I buy in a year. I have not had to use it yet. I didn't see a reason to use it for $30 and a free TB but now I can't get any of the other free TB's because of it.

I hope you are able to get everything that you lost back. If one of them was one of mine let me know and I will send you another one from the trade we made. Also thanks for the trade.

Good Luck and Happy Caching, GeoSmurfz

Sounds like your dad might know who it is... I would confront them and if true, tell them to stay away from my house. But thats my suggestions, one thing I despise is a lier and a thief.

CA