Trail Magazine - August 2007

Typical, my subscription for Trail ran out last month. I decided that I wasn't going to renew it as their articles are usually repetitive, then they go and do a Geocaching article?

They did touch on geocaching about a year ago, but it was just a brief mention whilst they covered GPS.

You haven't missed much, it's pretty much the same article. The picture is the same too. There was a much better one in Country Walking in 2003 which is how I found out about geocaching in the first place.

It looks like the cache they're hiding won't be listed on geocaching.com: as it's a "commercial cache" it wouldn't be listed anyway.

It was useful advice to warn them to keep away from "cache prohibited" areas, although it might have been more accurate to point out that caches can be placed anywhere at all, but won't be listed with Groundspeak unless certain guidelines are followed.

I suppose as Groundspeak representative you're not encouraged to point out that other listings sites exist, or indeed that you can hide a cache without needing to list it anywhere!

:laughing:

It looks like the cache they're hiding won't be listed on geocaching.com: as it's a "commercial cache" it wouldn't be listed anyway.

It could very well be, given permission from Groundspeak.

It was useful advice to warn them to keep away from "cache prohibited" areas, although it might have been more accurate to point out that caches can be placed anywhere at all, but won't be listed with Groundspeak unless certain guidelines are followed.

I suppose as Groundspeak representative you're not encouraged to point out that other listings sites exist, or indeed that you can hide a cache without needing to list it anywhere!

:blink:

Any "official" response could only refer to Geocaching.com as that's who we "represent". However, personal views are quite acceptable when expressed under our "normal" personas. :laughing:

:laughing:

Actually there was a exchange of emails regarding not only this cache but geocaching in general, and yes they are aware of the No commercial Guideline, unless given specific approval by Groundspeak in advance. It turned out that the initial article was based on information provided by a researcher who did not go into deep enough detail.

Communication is still on going :blink:

Fantastic! I'm going to have to find that cache. I read that article in Trail and thought yeah well, its going to be miles away but in two weeks time I'll be in Langdale with one of the main aims to go to Scafell Pike. And looks like I'll have to make a diversion to this new cache too! Hope it gets registered onto the gc website so that its in the PQ by that time! Here's to hoping.

It would appear someone has got the FTF. :lol:

I slept in the car last night down at Seathwaite with a view to getting an early start this morning. Sadly, Seathwaite lived up to it's reputation as the rainiest place in England and by the time it was light at about 3.30am I didn't fancy venturing out into a downpour :lol: so I came home

Well done to SummitGood... :lol: