Trail directions

sunriseoverwater

Lately I've done a bit of caching in a Provincial Park in my area. I've noticed recently that some of the cache pages will state "The cache is off of trail X in provincial park Y", and some won't even mention that the cache is in a provincial park. (These are all fairly low-difficulty hides.) I was initially surprised by this, but now I'm wondering, is the lack of information intentional? Maybe some people like the added challenge of using online maps and such to figure out where to park and where to hike, and I just didn't realize that. I'm hoping to place my first cache sometime soon, and I don't want to give away too much information if most people would prefer to figure it out themselves.

Edited by sunriseoverwater

Everyone plays differently. Some people may like it, some dont.

Personally i like that info. I also like parking waypoints so i dont spend time driving around trying to figure the best way in. It appears that the majority do not like parking waypoints though as they find it fun to wander around.

You could encrypt it somehow and those that wish could decrypt it.

To find out which trail this is off of read this backwards:

liart elpam fo ffo

I think the majority would use your help, but few may admit it.

Edit to fix last sentence that made no sense!

Edited by stephen2

Lately I've done a bit of caching in a Provincial Park in my area. I've noticed recently that some of the cache pages will state "The cache is off of trail X in provincial park Y", and some won't even mention that the cache is in a provincial park. (These are all fairly low-difficulty hides.) I was initially surprised by this, but now I'm wondering, is the lack of information intentional? Maybe some people like the added challenge of using online maps and such to figure out where to park and where to hike, and I just didn't realize that. I'm hoping to place my first cache sometime soon, and I don't want to give away too much information if most people would prefer to figure it out themselves.

Yea

The owner of the cache writes the cache page whatever way they like. Some people just don't give a lot of directions, others do. Some will gage it on the location, or maybe difficulty (ie "I want to make this difficult so I'm getting the details to a minimum"). '

I try to include parking waypoints if it is not obvious how to get to the trailhead. And, recently, I've even placed a few small caches right at the parking turnouts. <_< I really appreciate parking coordinates so I don't have to spend a lot of time driving around looking for an elusive trailhead or park entrance.

When I was traveling in Colorado, I never did figure out how to get to two caches in a small town. I'm sure the locals know just how to get to the park down by the river, but I couldn't figure it out . . . even with a mapping GPSr. :laughing: That wasn't very fun . . .