Feature Request

ron1337

I'd like to see the feature added to the cache listing page where the cache owner can set the date & time for the cache to be published.

The approver would still be required to approve the cache, but the cache wouldn't be published until the time/date criteria has been met.

This would make it much easier for the approver when there are lots of caches being released at the same time, as well, it would enable the cache owner to stagger the releases to stop the FTF hounds from cleaning up on the FTF's.

I'd love the ability to have my caches released at different time throught the day, but being that the approver is volunteer, we are stuck with the schedule they keep.

I agree. Or to simplify it have it be able to be placed as unavailable but visible to reviewers then a person can make it available when they want to.

Gets around date/time and things switching status' on some event.

Still a great idea though!

Have a field to set a date and time for publishing the cache contingent on another field that a reviewer checks to say that the cache is OK to publish. The reviewer can then review it at their leisure and it will get published at the date/time specified by the owner. Maybe something like it will be implemented in Geocaching.com V 2.0.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

...... it would enable the cache owner to stagger the releases to stop the FTF hounds from cleaning up on the FTF's.

My reviewer so kindly worked with me on a cache so it wouldn't be "FTF hounded" so quickly but with the advent of flashlights it didn't matter anyway <_<

I figured a cache in the woods at night might have made it at least until sun-up. Oh well.....

Have a field to set a date and time for publishing the cache contingent on another field that a reviewer checks to say that the cache is OK to publish. The reviewer can then review it at their leisure and it will get published at the date/time specified by the owner. Maybe something like it will be implemented in Geocaching.com V 2.0.

Just playing Devil's Advocate (as I think it's a good idea): What about the unscrupulous cachers that would change the listing after the reviewer OK'd it?

Just playing Devil's Advocate (as I think it's a good idea): What about the unscrupulous cachers that would change the listing after the reviewer OK'd it?

Couldn't they do this at any point after the cache is approved? I've see a few caches that due to maintenance issues or high 'muggle-bility' have been changed to virts or password caches. Both no longer allowed. But I ain't snitchin as it works better.

The whole point is that the reviewed shouldn't need to come back to publish the cache once it has been reviewed.

If the cache owner could have control over the publish feature, it would reduce the load on the volunteers.

Just make the "Publish" button unavailable until the reviewer has set the cache as approved.

The date&time option would make it easier to control cache publishing where there is a large amount of caches to be released.

So you want the reviewer to be tied to their computer and publish the cache at whatever time you specify? Don't you think that's a bit much to ask?

No, but if there was a way to set an automated 'egg timer' or something so the cache is published at some specificed time. I would probably use it sometimes <_<.

Maybe once the reviewer okays the cache then it will be in the same condition as any other cache would be, and the owner will have the same limitations to changes as they do now. The only difference being that the cache isn't returned on searches yet.

Sunday - I put cache in que with release date set for Saturday (because of an event)

Monday - I'm excited and check, but it's not been reviewed yet. I notice, however, a mistake and change the cache type.

Tuesday - Mtn-Man wakes up, reviews cache, hits the publish button, and goes back to sleep. At this point I'm no longer able to make changes to the cache type, or move the coords further than 528 ft.

Wednesday - KBI does a search for caches in the area and doesn't see this one because it's not been released. KBI then puts a cache in the que which is located about 300 ft from mine.

Thursday - Mtn-Man wakes up, reviews KBIs cache, denies it because it's too close to mine and sends KBI a reviewer note explaining that there will be a cache released on Sat in the same area.

Friday - KBI complains in the forums that this new feature made him waste a lot of time.

Saturday - Cache shows up on searches exactly when the meeting starts, even though Mtn-Man is nowhere near his computer. I hand out printouts of the cache page to the event attendees so they can go find it. Mtn-Man is FTF and gets the Rolex I put in the cache.

Edited by Mushtang

Maybe once the reviewer okays the cache then it will be in the same condition as any other cache would be, and the owner will have the same limitations to changes as they do now. The only difference being that the cache isn't returned on searches yet.

Sunday - I put cache in que with release date set for Saturday (because of an event)

Monday - I'm excited and check, but it's not been reviewed yet. I notices, however, a mistake and change the cache type.

Tuesday - Mtn-Man wakes up, reviews cache, hits the publish button, and goes back to sleep. At this point I'm no longer able to make changes to the cache type, or move the coords further than 528 ft.

Wednesday - KBI does a search for caches in the area and doesn't see this one because it's not been released. KBI then puts a cache in the que which is located about 300 ft from mine.

Thursday - Mtn-Man wakes up, reviews KBIs cache, denies it because it's too close to mine and sends KBI a reviewer note explaining that there will be a cache released on Sat in the same area.

Friday - KBI complains in the forums that this new feature made him waste a lot of time.

Saturday - Cache shows up on searches exactly when the meeting starts, even though Mtn-Man is nowhere near his computer. I hand out printouts of the cache page to the event attendees so they can go find it. Mtn-Man is FTF and gets the Rolex I put in the cache.

Sounds good except for the Friday incident :laughing:

Something like this is currently being done in Massachusetts/New Hampshire by the local reviewers but only for caches that are planted for events. I'm not sure how they do it, perhaps a ball and chain keeps them tied to their computer on the day of said events right up to the hour of d-day. But I've known some of said reviewers to be in attendance of said events also so either an alternate reviewer does the dirty work or it's somehow automated (not likely).