Mountain Marsh GC8 Gone

Loren :)

I was just at GC8's location yesterday June 26 and confirmed it got washed away in the winter mountain floods. I had logged it in 2003 so I knew where it was. The area is now a 20 foot deep 100 foot wide canyon. No possible hope to recover.

See GC8's site.

Loren :signalviolin:

Edited by Loren :)

Darn.

I was in the area last summer but just ran out of time to do this one. I figured I'd be back later. Never figured the cache wouldn't be there anymore.

"Never put off until tomorrow..."

I had the same feeling a couple of years ago with GC5 (which used to be the oldest in the state).

Lol, I was testing out an avatar for my dad earlier, and then accidently posted under his account in this thread. :laughing:

:D

Your Dad is the letter carrier?!?

So was Mike Tegue who was the first cache finder and also planted Mountain Marsh.

So am I. :(

Cool. :(

My dad just retired from the post office, after over 25 years here in Wenatchee. He's also a volunteer firefighter, and an EMT. :D

Not really sure what he would think about the avatar, I was just trying to mess around so I didn't get that grey Signal on my friends list. :) I know that his caching name is a Letter carrier term, so I went with that theme.

Well Harriet :laughing:

I'm as "local" as any Cacher. Har! About 18 air miles from GC8. I have considered, pondered and weighed adopting Mountain Marsh.

Here's my conclusions:

The Cache Container is gone.

The Cache site is gone.

What is left to adopt? The name?

Would adopting just be a sham? Making me a Shaman?

What would people be going to the site to see, do?

I might be willing to take on the job IF I can be convinced there is a acceptable, to me, reason to continue.

Maybe ending the Cache is "setting things right"?

Loren :(

Is there a local who would be willing to adopt it and set things right?

I'm as "local" as any Cacher. Har! About 18 air miles from GC8. I have considered, pondered and weighed adopting Mountain Marsh.

Here's my conclusions:

The Cache site is gone.

I might be willing to take on the job IF I can be convinced there is a acceptable, to me, reason to continue.

I agree with Loren. There is nothing left, but the name. A replacement cache would not be in the same location since that is gone. The original cache container is gone as is the logbook with the history of the cache. Another cache there would be fine, but it would not be the same.

It is sad to say, but true that the cache is history and history only. I kept putting off going up there and now I won't be able to find Mountain Marsh as hidden by Mike Teague. It just won't be the same.

Here's my conclusions:

The Cache site is gone.

I agree with Loren. There is nothing left, but the name. A replacement cache would not be in the same location since that is gone. The original cache container is gone as is the logbook with the history of the cache. Another cache there would be fine, but it would not be the same.

It is sad to say, but true that the cache is history and history only. I kept putting off going up there and now I won't be able to find Mountain Marsh as hidden by Mike Teague. It just won't be the same.

Agreement. R.I.P., Mountain Marsh.

I really encourage and love adoptions of old caches rather than creating a new one, as it helps to carry on the history. But in this case, I think that I may agree. It just doesn't feel the same, with it all washed away like that.

When I went to the cache, I opened the cache container gently, and held the logbook carefully with a sense of awe, reading all the way back to the beginning like that. I had originally thought that it was a cool cache to go to, since it was so old, but once I got that cache and logbook out, I was suprised at the emotions that I had. Sheesh, Geocaching's just 7 years old. :(:laughing:

I'll give my two cents worth here.

As much as I hate to say it, there is nothing left to adopt. If the original cache owner were to replace the container in the same spot (or as near to it as possible) then it could continue on. But it's never going to be the same cache that it was.

It would be best for this one to have some dignity in its farewell and perhaps a tribute cache can be placed nearby someday.

I'm doing some research on GC8.

I'm wonder if anyone has pictures of the log book entries, the stump and placement of the cache and the creek before the flood.

I have pictures of the log entries through 2002.

The first finder appears to be "Dave". Moun10Bike indicates on one of his pictures this is Dave Ulmer. How cool is that?

Loren :unsure:

I'll give my two cents worth here.

As much as I hate to say it, there is nothing left to adopt. If the original cache owner were to replace the container in the same spot (or as near to it as possible) then it could continue on. But it's never going to be the same cache that it was.

It would be best for this one to have some dignity in its farewell and perhaps a tribute cache can be placed nearby someday.

Tribute cache named "R.I.P. Mountain Marsh"

I'm wonder if anyone has pictures of the log book entries, the stump and placement of the cache and the creek before the flood.

The first finder appears to be "Dave". Moun10Bike indicates on one of his pictures this is Dave Ulmer. How cool is that?

Loren :laughing:

Cool regarding the pictures. Are the log pics posted online? I wouldn't mind seeing mine again...think I found this one late August '02.

Loren :laughing:

When I was there the first time I took pics of ALL the log pages. Unfortunatly I thought it excessive to post them all so I only posted the first two pages. I have since lost the pics [:blink:]

Mountain Marsh log says evergreenhiker visited GC8 on September 16, 2003. I wouldn't have that picture. Bummer!

I have the pictures burnt on CD and backed up. Not online yet, but I'm looking at some options.

I did confirm via email with Dave Ulmer that he was FTF GC8.

Some how we missed getting the first page of the Cache Log. Probably had to do with the snow mixed with rain.

I ripped that page off the Cache site from several posts. :lol:

Loren :lol:

Edited by Loren :)