Severn Valley Railway Flood Damage Appeal Geocoin

You can't have missed the devastation and damage thats been caused by the recent weather.

A week ago, on Tuesday the 19th the weather caused extensive damage to the track of the Severn Valley Railway. By good fortune at the time no trains were running.

As a result of the damage, it is estimated that some 49 areas need attention, SVR can only run between Kidderminster and Bewdley, the estimated cost of repairs is currently £500,000.

On Monday the SVR launched an appeal to raise money for the repairs, having traveled on, and cached close the the railway on many occasions it seems appropriate to produce a geocoin to help raise funds to re-instate the line to it's former glory.

Obviously it's in the very early planning stages, but heres some proposed details of the coin

- Production run of 500 (assuming there is enough interest)

- One side to contain a 3d relief of a train crossing one of the bridges on the SVR Line itself

- Trackable on GC.com with icon

- Normal Size (apparently 38mm x 3.5mm thick)

All profits from the sale of the coin will be sent to the SVR Appeal.

I'll be setting up a website to allow people to register an interest (and to see if 500 is an achievable target), I'll post as soon as this is ready.

Anyone wanting more details of the SVR Appeal

http://www.svr.co.uk/appeal.php

I'm not in anyway associated with the SVR, and the coin is NOT a SVR endorsed product, its simply my way of trying to raise some funds and at the same time hopefully producing a great coin.

Cheers

Stuart

How much will the sale of the coins raise?

Thats a good question. It's all down to the cost of manufacture and what people were willing to pay.

Say for example, if it was £3.50 to make and people were willing to pay £7.50 + postage costs, then that would be £2000 if all 500 sold. Which would be great.

Does that seem un-reasonable ?

Cheers

Stuart

You can't have missed the devastation and damage thats been caused by the recent weather.

All profits from the sale of the coin will be sent to the SVR Appeal.

I'll be setting up a website to allow people to register an interest (and to see if 500 is an achievable target), I'll post as soon as this is ready.

Stuart

I'll be looking to buy two please.

Can you email me please i have a contact at the SV who is into geocaching :laughing:

Oh and put me down for 5 please.

Hi.

e-mail sent (via your gc.com profile) can you confirm you have got it ?

Thanks

Stuart

Yes got it sorry for not replying i forwarded it and a link to the forum thread.

I will email you re some background i dont want to post on a public forum :rolleyes:

Please put me down for a coin or three.

I've never bought a Geocoin before but as a railway enthusiast (author of www.underground-history.co.uk) I'd be prepared to stump up some money despite being under some hard times at the moment. (I'll let my web site's google ads pay for the coins and not current circumstances, and not my sudden and relatively unexpected current lack of employment!)

A coin or three please - let me know how many.

Eclectic the rather disorientated Penguin (for now anyway with regards to future...)

[edit: as I've never bought a Geocoin before, I've no idea what to do to buy...]

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Dear all,

So far, thats a maximum of 55 coins based on the interest from the thread

Work is underway on the design of the coin, this will hopefully feature a 3D relief on the front face of a train passing over the Victoria Bridge.

Once I've got some artwork I'll make it available, the rear of the coin is currently going to be a driving wheel from a steam locomotive.

Thanks to all those that have expressed an interest this far, working on the coins being priced at £7.50 plus postage, this should give a clear £4 contribution to the SVR appeal fund.

Regards

Stuart

Edited by StuartP

Just to clarify from my previous post, where I jokingly said "one or three" - I definitely want three of these coins please.

I've seen first hand some of the damage caused in the Severn Valley recently (though not to the railway itself) so I expect there's going to be a lot of work to get this superb railway back on its feet.