Cache finder

That question is totally relative to where you live. Areas are so different what is typical in one area is not even possible in another. It is also relative to the type of cache and location you are looking in.

For a regular cache in the woods in Ohio i would say in logs/stumps/tree holes.

I look for anything that doesn't belong.

A pile of sticks is typical for a woodsy area cache so I look for a pile of sticks that looks arranged or a pile that is not near a tree. I look at all tree stumps and logs because they tend to be hollowed out. I look for metal, where a magnet could be. I look for color in a no-color zone. Or a large rock where there are no other rocks.

Once I passed an inground sprinkler 10 times before it occurred to me that there shouldn't be a sprinkler beneath power lines.

:signalviolin:

At some caches you will find a geo-trail where cachers have walked to the cache so many times that there is actually a path worn through the weeds to the cache site or at least the weeds are bent down along the pathway.

I find that, for me, some of the hardest caches to spot are micro caches hung in trees or other foliage. My eyes just don't like to find those things. Piles of bark or rock are often dead giveaways - as long as the cache isn't a rock in a huge pile of rocks. Those make me totally crazy. Holes in trees are always suspect as long as they are sufficiently large for the type of cache you're looking for.

One of the most important things when looking for caches is to be aware of the cache size. Sometimes it isn't posted but most of the time it is. Knowing the size of the cache will eliminate many spots or help you to focus in on others.

I wish I'd asked this question before I went hunting for my first cache. I'm very new only a few finds and it took me going out with others with more experience to learn to look away from my GPS once I was near gz. I had to be trained to look for things that did not belong or were too tidy. Not an easy thing to do.

Fairly noob here, but with just over 300 caches we have found them in so many different places. Most interesting (and funny) was under a clown's nose toy attached to a stop sign. (out of place), to the bottom (belly) of a metal statue of a dog (our dog sniffed it and the magnetic case fell, we gave him the find). My hubby says he feels like a tree gynecologist after placing his hand in soooo many tree holes. Electrical looking caches ( we hate these). Under a sewer clean out lid (in the middle of a field). Underside of a laminated leaf (had redirector info). Hope I did not give out too many hints and tricks... as there are many more, just trying to help a fellow noob out. :laughing: