Your vote/opinion will decide

Hello! My name is Jonathan and I was introduced to Geocaching while on a business trip in Maryland. Found my first cache at a movie theater in Linthicum and have been hooked ever since. I thought this would be a great thing for my son and I to do together so I signed up for an account and here we are. Now, I need to get a GPS for us. I've read where the etrex legend is your basic gps and the 60csx is the cream of the crop. What's a good middle of the road GPS? I really like the idea of using a Tom Tom One so it can serve 2 purposes but have not seen where a lot of people use it...is there a reason why? The guy who introduced me to Geocaching had a service on his phone but my carrier only does addys and not coords. Sooo, please help and I will make my purchase on Friday based on your input!

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan (and my son Justice)

:rolleyes:

Edited by GeoPirate69

Some of the automotive GPS units are not capable of navigating in off-road (bearing or course pointer) mode. I don't know if the Tom Tom is or not, but I would suspect not. Garmin's latest model, the eTrex Legend HCx, looks to be the sweet spot for price/performance.

Your budget will determine your choice to a large extent. You can get the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx for $330 or the GPSMAP 60CSx for $336 at shipdog.com. I purchased my 76CSx from them and the service was excellent. I had never heard of them prior to my purchase but I researched them and they had good reviews so I decided to go with the reviews. I wasn't disappointed and the price was great. Of course you will still have to purchase City Navigator in addition to the GPSr but that is the case with all handhelds.

I use my 76CSx for geocaching and also for autorouting to caches and on cross country trips. I'm leaving in a few days for a trip from California to Montana. I'll be going through Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Washington, and Oregon and I have the street level maps loaded for all the areas and my route plotted and entered into the unit. I love the thing.

Hello! My name is Jonathan and I was introduced to Geocaching while on a business trip in Maryland. Found my first cache at a movie theater in Linthicum and have been hooked ever since. I thought this would be a great thing for my son and I to do together so I signed up for an account and here we are. Now, I need to get a GPS for us. I've read where the etrex legend is your basic gps and the 60csx is the cream of the crop. What's a good middle of the road GPS? I really like the idea of using a Tom Tom One so it can serve 2 purposes but have not seen where a lot of people use it...is there a reason why? The guy who introduced me to Geocaching had a service on his phone but my carrier only does addys and not coords. Sooo, please help and I will make my purchase on Friday based on your input!

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan (and my son Justice)

<_<

If you live in an area with a lot of trees I would get a GPS with the new SirfStarIII chip. There is a whole new line of Garmin GPSs coming out soon with this chip. By the way, the Legend is a middle of the road GPS. You can get a basic Etrex for under $100.

Personally, I won't buy a GPS without a high-sensitivity chip. Not worth the hassle. There's a whole new line of Garmin units with high-sensitivity chips coming out in the very near future, if they're not out already. I'd wait to make a purchase until they arrive on the market and have been reviewed. Why buy old technology when new is just ready to be released? Chances are the new line will drive down prices on the older models too.

You can't go wrong with the 60CSx, but with the new units coming out you might be able to get the same performance for less money very soon.