event cache logging question

I've only attended one event cache about 2 summers ago. it is an ongoing event that is held every month i different places in north east ohio. My questions is, if I attend this event cache again is it okay to log is as attended eventho I already have logged it once two years ago. BTW the same GC# is used for each month.

I just want to follow the correct protocal.

Also, the event will be held in the same coffee shop as the time I last attended if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the input.

Yes, log it again if you wish. Even though this event has the same gc number, it is not the same one that you attended two yers ago. This is the one exception that i can see for legitimately logging an event more than one time.

p.s. I wonder what the reason is for using the same gc number over and over? :o

thanks for the quick responces. the event is GCK5E6. sorry I do not know why they wanna use the same GC#. Thanks for the Markwell too. I remember reading it now that I see it. I'm only intrested in looging the event as a visit, not a bunce of times to log in pocket caches or coins. Just that I was at the specific event on a specific date.

thanks for the thoughts.

I've only attended one event cache about 2 summers ago. it is an ongoing event that is held every month i different places in north east ohio. My questions is, if I attend this event cache again is it okay to log is as attended eventho I already have logged it once two years ago. BTW the same GC# is used for each month.

Also, the event will be held in the same coffee shop as the time I last attended if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the input.

I wouldn't.

Thank you for the input.

I wouldn't.

That makes two of us.

p.s. I wonder what the reason is for using the same gc number over and over? :o

Probably so it's easier to track. Just put a watch on it and you get all the newest info about a on-going event. The local monthly meeting did that for some time, it was great as the place moved over 30 miles each month.

I wouldn't.

I don't get the logic in not logging it again. Maybe I am just missing something. If I attend the event in June, and then attend it again in July, that should be two attended logs.

If it was given a new GC each month, would you still be against logging it as attended? I see no difference, and keeping the GC the same simplifies when having the event on your watchlist.

I wouldn't.

I don't get the logic in not logging it again. Maybe I am just missing something. If I attend the event in June, and then attend it again in July, that should be two attended logs.

If it was given a new GC each month, would you still be against logging it as attended? I see no difference, and keeping the GC the same simplifies when having the event on your watchlist.

Some people require very simple rules for when to use the 'Found It' or the 'Attended' logs. They may think that if we had very simple rules that everyone could understand we would not see the abuse of these logs that we sometimes see. A simple rule would be to log only one found it or attended log per GC#. That would prevent people from logging temporary caches at events, which some people view as abuse, or from logging a find when you go back to cache you have already found to drop/pickup a travel bug or just for a visit. It would also prevent people from logging the few remaining grandfathered moving caches more than one time, a recurring event that reuses the same page, and a few other examples where multiple found it or attended logs would make sense. Perhaps I should call these people amish (as opposed to puritans) since they want to live a simple life. They are free to live their simple lives and follow their own rules for when to use certain online log types, but I would say that if it makes sense to you to log attended or found it more than once (particularly when the cache owner intended for you to be able log found it or attended more than once) then go ahead and log it.

I'd check with the event owners, since it's their cache. Some don't care if you log as found multiple times, others do.

Personally, I don't even log one-time events as finds anymore, I simply post my thanks with a note. But that's just me. If the event owners don't care, then do as you please. If they do care, then be nice and abide by their wishes.

I wouldn't.

Some people require very simple rules for when to use the 'Found It' or the 'Attended' logs. They may think that if we had very simple rules that everyone could understand we would not see the abuse of these logs that we sometimes see. A simple rule would be to log only one found it or attended log per GC#. That would prevent people from logging temporary caches at events, which some people view as abuse, or from logging a find when you go back to cache you have already found to drop/pickup a travel bug or just for a visit. It would also prevent people from logging the few remaining grandfathered moving caches more than one time, a recurring event that reuses the same page, and a few other examples where multiple found it or attended logs would make sense. Perhaps I should call these people amish (as opposed to puritans) since they want to live a simple life. They are free to live their simple lives and follow their own rules for when to use certain online log types, but I would say that if it makes sense to you to log attended or found it more than once (particularly when the cache owner intended for you to be able log found it or attended more than once) then go ahead and log it.

I agree. Some people are against logging abuse and aren't afraid to say so. Others don't care and aren't afraid to say so. Still others say a lot, but so little in the end. :rolleyes:

Just to chime in with my own, personal idiosyncrasies... I've only logged one event (one I helped host) and will not log any more as found. To me, it's kind of the same logic GC used to justify eliminating virtuals. If someone holds an event in a giant piece of Tupperware hidden in the woods, THEN I might log it as a find! But to the OP - do what you want, as long as the host is OK with it.

Since there is only one GC number, i can understand why some would not want to log attended more than once on this one. I posted above that i think it would be alright to log another attended, being that it is a different event on a different day. My thinking is that even though the cache owner doesn't want to submit for a new gc number, it is still an event that is listable on GC.com. It's not a cache that doesn't fit the guidelines like a pocket cache or temporary cache and so therefore can be logged as attended.

It is something to think about but in the end, I probably would log it because i think this would keep my stats correct. This would reflect the number of separate events, regardless of gc number, that i've actually attended.

I guess the reasons given for using the same GC number are ok but i still think that new events would be better off being listed as new events, instead of just being recycled.

I'd check with the event owners, since it's their cache. Some don't care if you log as found multiple times, others do.

I live close to the OP and from what i have seen most people in the area log events a lot. In fact i have seen experienced cachers with many finds encourage new users to log events over and over. Its the new Wisconsin. :rolleyes:

I'd log it every time I attended it. It's a different event, on a different date, and you will have a different experience. So what if it is in the same location?

Will you have the same conversation with the same individuals? (If so why bother attending? :signalviolin: )

I wouldn't host an event using a recycled cache page, but other do. Some recurring events like to use the same GC# over and over to maintain the history of the event. I prefer a nice new event listing for each of mine.

Thank you for the input.

If you log the event multiple times you are doing nothing wrong.

You might check with the cache owner to see what they intended when they listed the cache.

You can safely ignore most made-up rules that others insist you must adopt.

You can find lots of silly rules being touted in the forums, it seems to be a side effect of thinking a geocache Find should equate to something other than a geocache Find. Only a very few people insist that every situation is covered by the simplistic metric they have adopted, these same people also tend to be insistent about others adhering to their made-up rules. I have seen some suggest that the whole geocaching website needs to be changed so that everyone else is closely controlled in a fashion that reflects the made-up rule they have adopted. I have even seen well known geocachers telling other people to log moving caches with a Note! :( (ie. the rule being 1 GC## = 1 Find)

Adopted and made-up rules cover the full range from the simple to the absurd. Adopt enough of the rules and you will find yourself in absurb situation. Can you imagine being in a situation where you couldn't carry on a dialog in the forums until you went out and found a few caches. :( Yes, that really is one of the senseless rules that you will see touted in these forums. (ie. the rule being Post Count < Find Count)

In your situation you will even find people who are willing to tell you that the correct protocol is to ignore the cache owner, ignore your local community and adopt the simplistic rule to which they adhere.( ie. the rule being One Event Page = 1 Attended Log) In addition to suggesting that you should ignore your local community and the cache owner they will point out that the cache owner should have listed the cache differently so that it conformed with the made-up rule they have adopted. :P

I think a much simpler solution is to log it as the cache owner intends and ignore those that say otherwise. In fact not only is that the correct protocol it is actually the way the system works now, much to the chagrin of those who insist it needs to be changed.

Thank you for the input.

The situation is that different events are recylcing the same event cache page. That's just goofy. You get stuck with no choice but to log your different event on the same page that's being recycled.

For each event they should have a new cache event page. Even if it's the same location. You can have different people attending, different conversations, and a completly different expereince.

For what it's worth. I wouldn't log it.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I live close to the OP and from what i have seen most people in the area log events a lot. In fact i have seen experienced cachers with many finds encourage new users to log events over and over. Its the new Wisconsin. :(

I was going to mention Wisconsin too! lol :(:P:)

Sure.... go ahead and cheat. :(

I think it's a regional thing... That's certainly NOT acceptable around here. :(

However, some other high count cachers cheat...um...I mean re-log all the time on events. :P

I wonder if you would change your mind if you reread the OP, slower.

:( As there are no hard and fast rules on this topic, you'll have to let your conscience be your guide. Personally, I wouldn't log it. Only one log for a GC#. My local area has a monthly meeting that I attend most months. This reoccurring event always uses the same cache page. About a year and a half ago, the decision was made by the organizers that if it was held in a different location, then a multiple logging by a cacher would be allowed. Even though the meeting was being held at different locations, I still abide by my personal rule of one GC#, one smilie. All other attendances are logged as notes. I often look at websites like ItsNotAboutTheNumbers and one of the things I look at are the number of finds vs the number of unique caches.

Again, these are my views of the world and the way I play the game.

I wouldn't log it either. People may disagree with me here but I don't think any event should count as a find wether its the first time or not. Its not really like finding a cache it more like you know how to use map quest. There should be a seperate event count.

It amazes me to see multi-logs on events. ;);)

That's why I like the attended B) log selection.

It makes more sense.

I do agree that if you attend the event on different days, making it a different event altogether, then you should get another 'attended'. :D

I like the idea of one event cache for one event. :sad:

We have weekly and monthly events here (at the pizza place), and I think they are all separate events. ( I rarely attend )

Around here, we use the attended log to thank the creators of the event for all their efforts, and to post pics of the event. :D

It shouldn't be a multi-log-a-thong thing. :sad:

Edited by ventura_kids
It amazes me to see multi-logs on events. ;);)

That's why I like the attended :sad: log selection.

It makes more sense.

I do agree that if you attend the event on different days, making it a different event altogether, then you should get another 'attended'. B)

I like the idea of one event cache for one event. :D

We have weekly and monthly events here (at the pizza place), and I think they are all separate events. ( I rarely attend )

Around here, we use the attended log to thank the creators of the event for all their efforts, and to post pics of the event. :D

It shouldn't be a multi-log-a-thong thing. :sad:

I agree. :sad:

There is no correct protocol advanced by this listing service but it certainly isn't cheating, nor is it a matter of conscience. Suggesting that your conscience be your guide is an attempt to advance one of the minor "no sense" rules that often shows up in these discussions, in this case the 1 GC# rule, perhaps the silliest of all the "no sense" rules. Calling the practices of others cheating is just an example of rude behaviour.

The numbers really don't mean anything and the rules that people adopt make no sense if you live in an area where there are recycled event pages, moving caches or caches that offer multiple targets. In the case of the OP the cache is a recycled cache page, these are becoming very common as geocachers everywhere realize that adopting this practice helps rid the landscape of made-up rules that make no sense. I live in an area which has moving caches, multi-target caches and recycled event pages, the rules that make no sense never got a foothold here, we never have any issues dealling with this type of nonsense, we simply log these caches as the cache owner intends.

I like to see geocachers setting up recycled event pages, it is an excellent way for a community to indicate that they concur with the idea that the "numbers mean nothing". A Find count is a meaningless number, it is simply a reflection of how often you geocache and where you live, nothing else.

It is fairly easy to find geocachers that tout strange rules that they have adopted. There really is no end to the strange rules that make "no sense", the best thing to do is to realize that those who adopt the strange rules are free to play the way they wish and it is fine to ignore the no sense rule they are touting.

Go ahead and log recycled event pages as many times as you attend, if that is the cache owner's intention then you are most definitely following the correct protocol.

The numbers really don't mean anything and the rules that people adopt make no sense if you live in an area where there are recycled event pages, moving caches or caches that offer multiple targets.

I'd like to offer a bit of a caveat to this statement. In some people's eyes, the numbers do mean something, regardless of their geographic location. As indicated by several posters to this thread, they live in regions where recycling GC numbers is common, yet they choose to only log an "Attended" once. While I'm not one to focus energy on someone else's numbers, mine have a certain degree of importance to me, and I like to maintain accuracy according to my own established rules. It's part of what keeps this game fun for me. That being said, I couldn't conceive of trying to enforce my own biased rules on other cachers. When I say that I won't log a recycled event, I'm not implying that others should not do so. My rules make perfect sense, for me, which is why I follow them.

A Find count is a meaningless number, it is simply a reflection of how often you geocache and where you live, nothing else.

I've always thought of a find count as a reflection of how many caches you've found, combined with how many events you've attended.

Go ahead and log recycled event pages as many times as you attend, if that is the cache owner's intention then you are most definitely following the correct protocol.

Very true. Intent really is the key to determining if someone is practicing deception.

This type of idea here and in the other event thread has got me thinking. Some people have said that as long as the owner allows it, then it is ok.

What if i make a cache that is called "The Smilie Generator". The description could read that anyone can feel free to log this cache as many times as they would like after they have found it. If i am the owner, and i allow it, then it is ok, right?

If i can get over my dislike of logging events and caches more than once, then i might do this. I wonder what would happen...

What if i make a cache that is called "The Smilie Generator". The description could read that anyone can feel free to log this cache as many times as they would like after they have found it. If i am the owner, and i allow it, then it is ok, right?

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, so I'll try and answer as if it were a legitimate question;

You ask if it would be "OK". OK according to whom? I just scoured the guidelines, and I see nothing prohibiting it. The closest I could come up with is the, (paraphrased), requirement that cache owners remove bogus logs from their cache pages. Would the additional finds be bogus? Since you've stated that they are allowed, I don't think the term "bogus" applies. Either way, I would only log it once, but that's just how I play. I'm pretty sure the zealots will want to string you up for violating their interpretation of the "rules". :laughing:

When in doubt, ask your local reviewer. :laughing:

The event organizer decided to recycle their event page over and over for whatever reason, probably just for simplicity or ease. But these are actually separate events held at different times with different people, despite if they're at the same location or not each time. It's not fair to limit someone's history of attendeds just because the owner of the event decided not to create a new page. The page is not even the real thing, it's just a bunch of zeros and ones in a computer. The real part is the events.

One of the problems here is terminology. This is not a "log" nor a "find". It's an "attended". Did you "attend" each separate event? If so, why wouldn't a person post an "attended" to each event? Why would they write a "note"? That would not correlate with the correct history and actual reality.

Edited by Ambrosia