Needs maintenence logs don't count as finds?

Rev Slippery

why do "needs maintenence" logs to the cache owners, not count in my total finds? Do I have to do a separate "found it" log?

Yup. The beauty of it is that you can post in your found it log that the cache needs maintance and the owner will get it. The irony is that if the owner is active you don't need a Needs Maintaince log and if they aren't, they won't help.

Yes, I noticed that... It is a good idea (to have the option), but really doesn't seem to end up being too functional. Does it notify the reviewer who approved it?

No. It flags the cache with a Needs Maintance Attribute, others can see the log symbol. Reviewers to look for DNF and NM logs on sweeps of caches when they are looking for problems.

No. It flags the cache with a Needs Maintance Attribute, others can see the log symbol. Reviewers to look for DNF and NM logs on sweeps of caches when they are looking for problems.

The system in place though does not share this or any attributes in the GPX files. Which means that if you dont check the online web page first, you will have no idea that it needs maintenance until you visit and see for yourself. Which means you may or may not have the supplies needed to help the cache out. (Bags, towels, whatever.)

I hate that about the attributes in the PQ's. (Or lack of them.)

G'day

I don't have a problem with the "Need Maintenance" log not being a "find.". A find log is for a find. A needs maintenance log is for maintenance and flags to the owner that the cache needs maintenance. The owner gets a email to this effect.

If I revisit a cache, say for a trackable and find the cache needs maintanance and I can't do it, then I don't want a second find log, but I do want to flag the cache needs maintenance.

Hence I have no problem with the log type. The attribute not being in PQs is a different matter.

Regards

Andrew

Here's a bad scenario:

Someone visits a TB hotel frequently or walks by someone's cache on his/her morning jog. One day, the person sees the cache needs maintenance. If we were to count the NM log as a find, the person would now have a duplicate find entry for that cache. No good.

What if you are searching for a cache in a tree and only find the apparatus used to hang the cache, but the container is gone? (This happened to me at one time.) You can't claim that as a find, but you do need to post the NM log.

I'd rather keep finds and NM separate. It is also less confusing for others who have no idea NM will equal a find.

Here's a bad scenario:

Someone visits a TB hotel frequently or walks by someone's cache on his/her morning jog. One day, the person sees the cache needs maintenance. If we were to count the NM log as a find, the person would now have a duplicate find entry for that cache. No good.

What if you are searching for a cache in a tree and only find the apparatus used to hang the cache, but the container is gone? (This happened to me at one time.) You can't claim that as a find, but you do need to post the NM log.

I'd rather keep finds and NM separate. It is also less confusing for others who have no idea NM will equal a find.

Exactly.

That and if you are dropping a TB off into one that you've already found, you can leave the NM log if needed and it doesn't count as a find.